FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Conversion from an Automatic to Manual

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I've had some shifter components come apart on me while driving a long time ago, I had to limp home in second or third gear - I can't remember which but thankfully it wasn't that far of a drive. After that, I used red Loctite as well and finally changed the 35 year old bushings last year without too much trouble getting everything apart.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    03254

I'm not welding anything what you see in the 1st picture is what you get. Bolted in tight it's rock solid. The two 1" rod connectors with a bolt and a flat washers are the exact height needed to raise the shifter up.

We will have to agree to disagree on the loctite. How many times do you really take the shift linkage off? I'd rather not have to dig back into the car after its all back together because something rattled loose. Besides that I've never needed a torch for removing stuff before, is it hard yes, impossible no.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Dan Haney
    Rocky Mountain Deloreans
    Vin #'s 3254 & 3519

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

The write-up for my auto-to-manual shifter replacement is right here

I used an adapter plate from Martin G but after it was all said and done I saw Nicholas Roedl's 2 x 2" angle iron solution which probably would have been a lot less complicated.
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    The write-up for my auto-to-manual shifter replacement is right here

I used an adapter plate from Martin G but after it was all said and done I saw Nicholas Roedl's 2 x 2" angle iron solution which probably would have been a lot less complicated.
    I had already gone through that write up and found a simpler less invasive solution.

Dan Haney
    Rocky Mountain Deloreans
    Vin #'s 3254 & 3519

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Oh wow, apparently I didn't understand those pictures. I certainly won't tell you how to work on your car, but I will say that that is a huge bending moment you're putting on bolts of that size, especially with such a tiny clamping surface area. By all means, it's your car, but I would be worried about that design.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by dhaney View Post
    I had already gone through that write up and found a simpler less invasive solution.

I dont really see how you can get more simple and less invasive than that bracket. It just bolts in.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Oh wow, apparently I didn't understand those pictures. I certainly won't tell you how to work on your car, but I will say that that is a huge bending moment you're putting on bolts of that size, especially with such a tiny clamping surface area. By all means, it's your car, but I would be worried about that design.
    I would think it would work as is but you could always machine some larger "standoffs".
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I dont really see how you can get more simple and less invasive than that bracket. It just bolts in.
    I agree, if Ed's bracket had been in the market when I did mine, I probably would have considered it. However, since I had already done the body/frame split, access wasn't an issue so bolting in the raised surface was also pretty easy.

I didn't like the wording when I wrote it.

I certainly think it's a great design. I too would use it if this solution were not as good.

This is a proven method with many miles of use with zero problems.

Though I too like to do things once and am reviewing the angle iron solution.

Dan Haney
    Rocky Mountain Deloreans
    Vin #'s 3254 & 3519

I know that last post sounded wishy-washy.... let me restate...

I didn't mean to demean the very nice angle iron solution to a tricky problem.

I am however very pleased with the way my current solution feels, though there has been no real shifting involved in testing. Though my solution has been used successfully and see as the previously converted car in question has changed hands my bet is the current owner is totally unaware that this method was used to secure the shift linkage.

I am moving ahead though I may experiment with the angle iron solution then determine which I like best.

Dan Haney
    Rocky Mountain Deloreans
    Vin #'s 3254 & 3519

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast