FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Fans and Fan Shroud

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

I tried replacing just my fans and shroud while also the front end recall. I had the original radiator so while removing the bolt by the passenger side connection, I broke the plastic side tank. The plastic was too weak and the force of backing the bolt out caused it to crack. An all aluminum radiator might not have this issue.

Another problem I ran into was the the DPI shroud holes did not line up with the DMCEU radiator I got. This was an easy fix out of the car, but would be a pain if the radiator was still installed.
    I had the same issue trying to fit the DPI new fan set, one of the first IIRC! This was not an issue with the shroud simply the 35 year old rad giving up. I purchased a new rad from Ed at DMC EU and the shroud lined up perfectly with the holes (same one D-Go now sells) So I guess it's hit and miss on the hole lining up front!
    Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    The issue is not with our shrouds. They are a precision component with high tolerances held. The disclaimers for the above mentioned radiator on Delorean go is plenty to substantiate where the problem is during fitment. https://www.deloreango.com/us/delorean-radiator.html
    Wasn't implying problem with the shroud but like Chris said, original radiator holes could be out too. I know one of my mounting bolts on the bottom was bent.

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Thanks for the input guys! I was able to get it done though it took 11 hours to do it myself.... the new fans are REALLY NICE! My only issue with the product itself was simply what Josh said in this thread, the tolerances are tight everywhere.

Honestly due to the nature of trying to hang the fans onto the top three existing bolts of the radiator (without pulling the radiator out of the car), I needed them bigger so that the bolts would simply pass into the holes on the shroud. I had to drill out the holes by no more than 1/16" as the pre-drilled holes only allowed for the bolts to be screwed in.

Josh - I am in LOVE with these fans man! They work well and have put my worries of melting things down to a minimum.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by JBaker4981 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys! I was able to get it done though it took 11 hours to do it myself.... the new fans are REALLY NICE! My only issue with the product itself was simply what Josh said in this thread, the tolerances are tight everywhere.

Honestly due to the nature of trying to hang the fans onto the top three existing bolts of the radiator (without pulling the radiator out of the car), I needed them bigger so that the bolts would simply pass into the holes on the shroud. I had to drill out the holes by no more than 1/16" as the pre-drilled holes only allowed for the bolts to be screwed in.

Josh - I am in LOVE with these fans man! They work well and have put my worries of melting things down to a minimum.
    Ill be doing this job soon myself. Did you have to take out the sway bar in order to get the old fans out? Also, might you have a finished product photo?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    15297

DPI replacement fans and radiator

I replaced my original fans and radiator. With the DPI upgraded fans and radiator. I took out the sway bar. It made things a lot easier. I also replaced the bushings for the sway bar. I have had no issues at all. I highly recommend any parts from DPI. Well made and very good quality. Think of it as an investment for your DMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Ill be doing this job soon myself. Did you have to take out the sway bar in order to get the old fans out? Also, might you have a finished product photo?
    I didn't take out the sway bar but I did unbolt it from the frame and dropped it down. It provided plenty of clearance to unbolt the fan shroud from the radiator and drop the fans out. Keep in mind that dropping the fans out without the radiator is a bear of a job and if I had bled the system and dropped the radiator out, it would've been way easier in the long run.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Dropping the car will help a great deal in removing the bulky factory units. In the future, this will not be required once our system is installed.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Dropping the car will help a great deal in removing the bulky factory units. In the future, this will not be required once our system is installed.
    As Josh as stated, this is due to his fans & shroud being very low profile and probably half as tall as the factory unit. Dropping the factory unit was a bear of a job due to clearance of the frame extension but the DPI fans had no clearance issues of anything including the strut bar (if you chose to bolt it back on early)
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Unbolting the sway bar from the frame and letting it hang is the way to do it. I find the hardest part of the job is undoing all of the little bolts holding the shroud to the rad. Besides some of them being hard to access, they are usually rusty and wind up just breaking.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Unbolting the sway bar from the frame and letting it hang is the way to do it. I find the hardest part of the job is undoing all of the little bolts holding the shroud to the rad. Besides some of them being hard to access, they are usually rusty and wind up just breaking.
    answers were much appreciated. thx
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast