FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 580 of 920 FirstFirst ... 80 480 530 570 578 579 580 581 582 590 630 680 ... LastLast
Results 5,791 to 5,800 of 9196

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    So, I'm handy, but not very mechanical. I'm not likely to build my own EFI or rebuild an engine, much less a car. However, this was one of the most difficult things I've done so far...

There's a special place in hell for whoever designed how the license plate lights attach to the rear fascia. I'm continuing my LED conversion and I almost soiled myself when I realized the metal plate the screws go into was running around "somewhere in there." I discovered after not too long that it was hanging on the wiring and could be reached from the taillight opening. Even then, it was a pain to line the screws up.

That was way more difficult than I think it needed to be.

So, I got LEDs installed for the rear end lighting.
    Yeah, that was challenging. I think I ended up loosely securing the plate to the fascia with painters tape with most of the tape hanging down in the fixture opening like a pull tab. After I got the screws started, I pulled the tape out.

How do you like the LEDs? I really liked the whiteness of the reverse and the license lights.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10322

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Got myself a new kumho spare tire from Discount Spare Tire. I had the original 35 year old tire and it looked worn. They had one in stock, strangely. Worst case scenario: I wasted $80.
    image.jpg

Also, I found water inside. Made a mental note to look into it later.
    image.jpg
    http://www.artgemsjewelers.com/
    Fine Geek Jewelry.

If the above post was DeLorean related it should be noted that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Tumblr: Going88 || Instagram: Going.88

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Yeah, that was challenging. I think I ended up loosely securing the plate to the fascia with painters tape with most of the tape hanging down in the fixture opening like a pull tab. After I got the screws started, I pulled the tape out.

How do you like the LEDs? I really liked the whiteness of the reverse and the license lights.
    So far I'm happy with the LEDs. I'm not done yet. I just ordered side market LED's tonight. I also ordered the flasher unit, so for now I still have incandescents for the turn signals.

I have LEDs for the trunk and engine compartment. I went with warm white. They look good to me and are brighter. I also went warm white for the license plate lights.

I did xenon white for back up lights. They're very cool white but crazy bright (at least to my eyes).

I have warm whites coming for the dome lights. I also reached out to Dave (Bitsyncmaster) to get his dimmer.

I hope to have everything converted except the binnacle in another week or two. I still want to be able to adjust the brightness of the binnacle lights, so I'm sticking with incandescents.

My VIN:    3937

So, I'm handy, but not very mechanical. I'm not likely to build my own EFI or rebuild an engine, much less a car. However, this was one of the most difficult things I've done so far...

There's a special place in hell for whoever designed how the license plate lights attach to the rear fascia. I'm continuing my LED conversion and I almost soiled myself when I realized the metal plate the screws go into was running around "somewhere in there." I discovered after not too long that it was hanging on the wiring and could be reached from the taillight opening. Even then, it was a pain to line the screws up.

That was way more difficult than I think it needed to be.

So, I got LEDs installed for the rear end lighting.
    I cannot think of a single job I've done on the car that was easier than expected. In fact, I can't even think of something I've done on the car that was about as difficult as I went in thinking it would be. Everything on the car seems to be a PITA for one reason or another.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    4494

Club(s):  

Found my steering rack boots torn. Need to inspect further and see if I can get away with just replacing the boots and refilling, or if I'd need to pull the rack. Factory workshop indicates you should pull the rack to do the boots and re-lubricate properly, but I'm hoping that can be avoided and done in-situ... unless anyone chimes in here otherwise

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I cannot think of a single job I've done on the car that was easier than expected. In fact, I can't even think of something I've done on the car that was about as difficult as I went in thinking it would be. Everything on the car seems to be a PITA for one reason or another.
    Yes, some jobs are challenging. I'm 3/4 the way around my restoration, and so far for me, the fuel accumulator takes the prize as most difficult. Although, now that I have found the right tools and learned how it's done, I can probably do it again in a fraction of the time.

But, that is part of the reason that I bought this car - to have a restoration project. I enjoy a challenge if I can take my time and not feel pressured to get it done.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Yes, some jobs are challenging. I'm 3/4 the way around my restoration, and so far for me, the fuel accumulator takes the prize as most difficult. Although, now that I have found the right tools and learned how it's done, I can probably do it again in a fraction of the time.

But, that is part of the reason that I bought this car - to have a restoration project. I enjoy a challenge if I can take my time and not feel pressured to get it done.
    Agree with all of that, Dana.

A bunch of things on my car were a bear to do initially because of rusty fittings. Doing my interior project of stereo, speakers, wiring and seatbelt assemblies was about the ugliest for me. I fought with that seatbelt receptacle bolt on the inside side of the passenger seat the most. Not feeling pressured like you need to drive the car to work the next day helped though. When I lost my patience, I took a break for a while or the rest of the day, then tried again the next day. There were times when I lasted 2 minutes before I was ready to starting swinging with a hammer at the car!

A few other areas aren't a lot of fun if you're tall too. I've been in and under the footwells a number of times, but boy does it make for getting sore. I finally got my steering column bushing in the way it was intended and have the carpet burns on my elbows to show for my efforts!

A friend years ago, after I mentioned to him what I was currently working on, said "aren't you finished with that yet?" I don't know how I answered at the time, but I came to realize the answer is "no, you're never finished!"

That's part of the hobby, for better or for worse. I don't think I understood that when I bought my car in 2007. I do pretty much all the work on my car on my own. I don't know if "enjoy" is the right word for it though. It might be, some of the time I suppose. I have a love hate relationship with these cars.

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Doing my interior project of stereo, speakers, wiring and seatbelt assemblies was about the ugliest for me. I fought with that seatbelt receptacle bolt on the inside side of the passenger seat the most.
    Wonderful. I'm planning stereo/speaker work in a couple of weeks. I was thinking it should at least be relatively straight forward. Here's hoping.

I'm glad people keep getting stuff done. I like the forums because of that... some commiserating over difficulties, but lots of good, encouraging success stories.

Wonderful. I'm planning stereo/speaker work in a couple of weeks. I was thinking it should at least be relatively straight forward. Here's hoping.

I'm glad people keep getting stuff done. I like the forums because of that... some commiserating over difficulties, but lots of good, encouraging success stories.
    Well, one thing I can say is that it feels pretty awesome to finish and then stand back and admire your work.

I know I felt pretty damn proud of myself when I got the stereo job done...

My VIN:    3294

Replaced the drivers side High Beam headlight for one that didn't have water in it. How a sealed beam headlight gets water inside I'll never understand, but it did.

Still have yet to tackle the "eyebrow thing" on the front fascia. I keep looking at it in the garage and telling myself it's not that bad, then at a car show in the direct sunlight it sticks out like a sore thumb.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Page 580 of 920 FirstFirst ... 80 480 530 570 578 579 580 581 582 590 630 680 ... LastLast