FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Crystalline Window Tint by 3M

My VIN:    06960

Are you guys getting quotes for actual "Crystalline" tint by 3M? Those quotes seem way too low. There are other good tints out there, some made by 3M, some by others. These are more in-line with those price quotes. The 3M Crystalline is the absolute top of the line tint available today. It is not cheap.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Are you guys getting quotes for actual "Crystalline" tint by 3M? Those quotes seem way too low. There are other good tints out there, some made by 3M, some by others. These are more in-line with those price quotes. The 3M Crystalline is the absolute top of the line tint available today. It is not cheap.
    Yes - 100% that this is the 3M Crystalline 90 (at least in my case)
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Alex - did you see a big drop in interior temps? I am thinking of having mine done soon as well.

FWIW, the quote I got to do the whole car including windshield is right around $350 as well. The guy did ask that I remove the upper door cards for him before bringing the car in so he didn't have to risk damaging them. Seems fair to me, I'd rather do it myself anyway!
    Sorry...I didn't see this until now. Like Jim said, if that's for 100% Crystalline series 3M then that's outstanding but I've NEVER seen it that cheap. I paid a pretty penny at a premier place in LA and it was $1k and I probably could've looked around and got everything done for $800-ish. But I'd be real concerned and make sure that you're getting what you think you're getting. The 3M Crystalline has a '3M' logo spaced out about every 12" or so throughout the sheet of tint (and can be taken off with rubbing alcohol after installed). That way, you know you're getting legitimate 3M.

But yes, I've seen a huge drop in interior temps. To the point where I'm not really running my AC all that much. If anything, I'll run the fans with vent but that's been it lately. I don't really think this has been the hottest summer ever and I do live right at the beach but even if I drive inland, I'm pretty easy with the AC. If anything I'll run it hard for a bit and then dial the fan down to 2 and that's plenty.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    10084

I had the Crystalline placed a few weeks ago. I did 40% on the sides and 90% on the windshield and am very happy with the result. Previously (last August) I had my side windows tinted from Cosmos Car Care and the tinting job was poor; bubbles that never came out and inadequate coverage. I had the tinting re-done with the Crystalline by Dalo in St. Louis and the result is dramatic. The heat reduction is phenomenal on the dash and the glare is reduced during during daytime and nighttime driving. The car sat out in the sun all day last Sunday at a car show and the dash never got hot.

The total cost for the job was $800, but this also included removal of the old tint and placement of 3M's Invisible Bra over the front bumper. The shop ended up reducing the labor cost because they felt bad about the other installer's poor workmanship and wanted to show that not all installers do bad work. So, a shout out to Dalo's in St. Louis for great work and great customer service.

As a side note, my car was being tinted alongside a Lamborghini and a Ferrari, but they said the DeLorean got the most attention sitting in the parking lot with people stopping to take pictures.
    Michael Todd
    St. Louis

When tinting the windshield, what about inspection/registration stickers? I would think that when it came time to peel off the old stickers that it would damage the tint, especially if the inspection place used a blade.
    2004 Acura RSX Type S - Daily Driver
    1964 Chevrolet Impala SS - No, not a lowrider

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Quote Originally Posted by Squall67584 View Post
    When tinting the windshield, what about inspection/registration stickers? I would think that when it came time to peel off the old stickers that it would damage the tint, especially if the inspection place used a blade.
    +1
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Any suggestions about mounting an I-Pass on the inside of a tinited windshield? Cut out small rectangles for where the I-Pass sticker mounts get mounted?

One of our DMC club members was just asking about this at the Woodward Dream Cruise last weekend and I did not have any first hand install experience.

I know Dennis S. does some type of remote location for his I-Pass ... just curious if there is a tried and approved method with windshield tint installed.

If you have tried an I-Pass install on the inside of the tint, please post the results (or PM me if it went bad) and I will pass along the info.

Thanks,
    Rich W.
    Last edited by Rich W; 08-21-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: fixed type-o

Using the 3M Crystalline tint, you will not have any issues with a toll transponder. It does not block any RF signals. Its a much higher quality tint than normal IR blocking tints which use a metallic film (the new DMC IR windshield uses a metallic film). Its even a few grades higher than other ceramic based tints.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

Not living in a state requiring a big ugly inspection sticker, I dont know how they are applied. Are they given to you? Or does the inspection place have to stick them on themselves? If you can get by with being "handed" the sticker, you can always laminate it and lick-glue it onto the windshield. Tinting the windshield is generally illegal in all states except under a few special exceptions. That is why I chose to replace my windshield with the new IR one, instead of tint. Tinting it with Crystalline 90 would be superior functioning than what I have now, but I'm still very happy.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    I know Dennis S. does some type of remote location for his I-Pass ... just curious if there is a tried and approved method with windshield tint installed.
    Thanks,
    Rich W.
    Yup,

Due to my IR windshield, I VHB mounted the I-PASS transponder to back side of the grille. When positioned correctly it just fits within one of the 3 Rectangle openings in the facia when the grille is snapped in place. Mine is in the right side opening.

It works great. I had looked into a front license plate mounted transponder. They were rather Large and Ugly. I opted to experiment with moving the in car transponder to behind the grille.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast