FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric DeLorean

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    I've looked at those EVWest "Tesla" modules before - but I have yet to find any evidence that they actually come from a Tesla. The larger Tesla battery modules (large flat modules) are from the Model S and X - and are the current standard modules from Tesla. Best case the EVWest modules are from a Roadster (but I also can't find any Roadster battery modules that look like these - not many Roadsters out there, so unsure where a good supply of batteries would come from).

I'm wondering if these are "Tesla-like" batteries in that they are composed of 18650s, but not batteries that actually lived in a Tesla vehicle. Also all true Tesla batteries are going to be used (most likely from a salvaged vehicle). This company (AutoBahn) - also in San Diego - dismantles cars and lists these (or has listed these modules on eBay) - note the same text and specs as the EVWest modules.

I would do a little more digging - there are only really two critical components to an EV - the motor/controller and the batteries.

Jeff
    So I did some research and it looks like you are right and I was slightly mistaken. I was confused because EV West just calls these "Tesla modules" (verbally, anyway).

These particular modules appear to be from electric Smart cars. The actual cells, however, ARE made by Tesla. The modules are not, the cells are.
    You can skip around these videos a little if you want to see more:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZzoxRCxZ_8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj8-puOI0C8

They have used them in several cars before, and they are high-performance, so no worries there, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Out of curiosity, how many battery packs could have been able to fit where the transmission is?
    Not really sure, to be honest. Probably not many because the frame's "Y" would get in the way very quickly. And you still need a differential and halfshafts, so those will always be in the way.

One more correction (since you can't edit posts after a few minutes) - the cells and the modules are both made by Tesla. This particular kind is just not used in Tesla vehicles.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    One more correction (since you can't edit posts after a few minutes) - the cells and the modules are both made by Tesla. This particular kind is just not used in Tesla vehicles.
    Does Tesla really make their own cells?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

They do indeed. They built a whole factory just for batteries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigafactory_1
    https://www.teslamotors.com/gigafactory

I'm fairly certain they make the individual cells as well as bundling them up into batteries, but the description in those links doesn't make that totally clear.

-- Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    They do indeed. They built a whole factory just for batteries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigafactory_1
    https://www.teslamotors.com/gigafactory

I'm fairly certain they make the individual cells as well as bundling them up into batteries, but the description in those links doesn't make that totally clear.

-- Joe

Looks like Panasonic has joined with Tesla in that new battery plant.

In July 2014, it was announced that Panasonic had reached a basic agreement with Tesla Motors to invest in the factory.[11][12] Panasonic will lead the battery cell production portion of the manufacturing, and Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk has indicated that the total Panasonic investment would be US$1.5–2 billion.[13] In early 2016 Panasonic president Kazuhiro Tsuga confirmed a planned total investment of c. $1.6 billion by the company to construct the factory to full capacity.[14]
    Dave M vin 03572

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

The cells in all Tesla EVs and their partners were made by Panasonic in Japan (I think Samsung is now a provider or at least a backup). However, the cells have a Tesla specific formulation. So you can't buy them off the shelf from Panasonic. They are supposed to give the best balance of life and performance in EV applications.

However as Joe mentioned, they are building the "Gigafactory" near Reno, NV. This factory is being built in partnership with Panasonic and once fully online will make Tesla the biggest producer of lithium batteries in the world. It's been built enough so they are now assembling Powerwalls, but battery cells won't start until the end of this year. By 2020, they will be fully built out and at full capacity. Details here:
    http://www.thecountrycaller.com/6776...uction-delays/

Car projects take forever...

So here's what's been going on. Biggest holdup has been finding the right motor setup. From the beginning, I could have gone with dual AC-51's from the beginning, which definitely would have been respectable (180HP, 220ft/lb or so), but I was hoping for something more. So we've been looking at other options.
    One option was a prototype motor from an EV company. Unfortunately, it dyno'd at less than we were hoping for and the gains would have been incremental. Not really worth the price vs power increase.
    Another option would be this AM Racing motor, 210HP and 280ft/lb. Better than the prototype motor, but still not quite what I was hoping for. They also make that motor in a dual-stack version with double the HP and torque... but it would be very expensive ($18k just for the motor, probably another $15k for the two controllers at least). I could pay it if it were the last option, but EV West wants to find me something cheaper. The other problem would be the transmission at that point - 560ft/lb is quite a lot. I don't foresee Nick selling his one-piece input shafts anytime soon, so I would have only the upgraded input shaft coupler to go by... not very promising for transmission longevity.

So... current plan is a Tesla Model S Performance drivetrain. 416HP, 443ft/lb. Unfortunately, it would mean getting rid of the manual transmission, which I was fond of. But I'm willing to sacrifice it for better power and reliability.
    We have a motor purchased, should be arriving soon. The biggest unknown is if it'll fit in the car. I'll keep you guys updated.

In other news, we may be getting batteries that are capable of higher discharge rates and actually have a slightly better form factor for this car, so that's good. We won't be able to fit more cells, but it'll be able to dump a bit more power.

That's what's been going on; it's not dead, just crawling along. These sorts of things take a lot of time sometimes.
    Well, I've been waiting for more than 2.5 years, I can wait a little longer. It's gonna be an awesome car when it's finished!

My VIN:    2483

I was chatting with DPI Josh about the transmission shaft issue.

I am concerned about this as well.

If I recall correctly he has a solution.

It would be worth a call to him at least.

Club(s):   (PNDC)

First ever door launch system???

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc.;168909 In the Delorean application however I find that the available actuators are barely strong enough to do the job and are often incapable of opening a Delorean doorconsistently. If any adjustments, or the door fit, are less than ideal they have trouble opening. They are generally designed for automotive applications using one latch systems with much lighter loads than a DMC door typically places on them.

I am considering making these [solenoids
    as part of my reintrodution of the first ever door "launch" system that me and "Bobzilla" developed for our own cars in 1999 but never released as a production run. We still have the two working prototypes that we installed in our own cars but somehow the "Millenium bug" got in the way of it's release. We hope to change that soon.
    Rob Grady
    Sorry to resurrect this year-old comment but I just now saw it, and for posterity (and old times) just couldn't let it slide. The "first ever door launch system" was installed in 2 of my cars prior to 1995 and was successfully marketed before then, too. I also know that some individuals like PNDC's Gary Hull designed and installed their own door opening kits way prior to 1999. My initial design has subsequently been updated by DeLorean Parts Northwest and between us dozens, maybe hundreds, of kits have been sold over the last 22+ years with very few problems. As you noted the Grady/Zilla kits were never marketed, for good reason I assume. I also pioneered kits to replace the door lock solenoids with actuators, and I believe Toby also still markets those. With modern actuators they work quite well and save considerable weight. Even new solenoids with aluminum housings will still need heavy steel cores/pistons/whatever they are called. As you know, neither solenoids nor actuators will open doors that are not properly adjusted.

Yes I'm back, Rob, but only as an owner this time, not a competitor. I'm not interested in renewing old "door opener" arguments from 15+ years ago, but please, give credit where credit is due. You know I'm too outspoken and ornery to let that "first ever" line pass.

Quote Originally Posted by BLWNAWY View Post
    Sorry to resurrect this year-old comment but I just now saw it, and for posterity (and old times) just couldn't let it slide. The "first ever door launch system" was installed in 2 of my cars prior to 1995 and was successfully marketed before then, too. I also know that some individuals like PNDC's Gary Hull designed and installed their own door opening kits way prior to 1999. My initial design has subsequently been updated by DeLorean Parts Northwest and between us dozens, maybe hundreds, of kits have been sold over the last 22+ years with very few problems. As you noted the Grady/Zilla kits were never marketed, for good reason I assume. I also pioneered kits to replace the door lock solenoids with actuators, and I believe Toby also still markets those. With modern actuators they work quite well and save considerable weight. Even new solenoids with aluminum housings will still need heavy steel cores/pistons/whatever they are called. As you know, neither solenoids nor actuators will open doors that are not properly adjusted.

Yes I'm back, Rob, but only as an owner this time, not a competitor. I'm not interested in renewing old "door opener" arguments from 15+ years ago, but please, give credit where credit is due. You know I'm too outspoken and ornery to let that "first ever" line pass.
    The problem was the Zilla unit had to short of a power pulse and would not give the actuators time to move fully.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast