FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Delorean That Got Away

My VIN:    16985

Delorean That Got Away

delorean.jpg
    I wanted to share this photo and explanation of how I almost became a DMC owner back in June of this year. A friend messaged me with this photo Monday June 4th, and said the car needed removed from a backyard at a jobsite he was working at, and they only wanted something like $1500 for it. He put me in touch with the lady who I thought owned the car, and I explained that I enjoy fixing up old cars and how I had been told about the Delorean in the backyard which was only about a mile from where I work. She said she had power of attorney over the car as well as a 1990 Corvette owned by her cousin who was in a nursing home but returning home soon. She claimed he was a hoarder and the cars had to go. I asked about the price to which she explained she had to talk to her husband first. The next day, Tuesday June 5th, I called to see how the discussion went, and she said that now the attorney was requiring that she list the car for sale before she would be legally allowed to sell it to me privately. I said okay but please let me know what to do because I really would like to own the car. The next day, Wednesday June 6th, she called and told me she sold the car to a local dealer. I was devastated, and called her back Friday June 8th to see if there was anything that could be done. She said she had not signed it over yet but was going to in two hours, and also that she now realized she knows my Dad and myself and is a member of our church. She said she felt horrible for not selling the car to me, and never would have done this if she knew who I was. I said I was going to call the dealer if she didn't mind, and ask him to let me buy the car since I had been the first caller. I did, and he refused. I have since tried calling him with no response and have written him a letter even offering to trade a '59 Cadillac. It may be the end of the road for me with this DMC, but I don't think my Delorean story is over just yet.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

For $1500, sure. For more $? - IMHO it may have been a good thing you didn't become owner of it. From the looks of it, I'd suspect it has sat where it is for a very long time and judging by the vegetation around it the frame is likely rotten in places, you'd spend the same amount fixing it as you would just getting one that is in okay shape to work on upgrading, etc. Don't give up though, I'm sure you'll find your D.
    -----Dan B.

This might be a blessing in disguise. Sure, you might have purchased it dirt cheap but the amount of work needed to bring this car up to speed will probably be tremendous.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

That car for 1,500 would be a blessing to someone to part out.

To restore would be more money and time than the final product would be worth even if she gave it to you.

My VIN:    16985

I appreciate the encouragement and the experts' opinion that the car may have been more problems than it would be worth. It sure has caused some loss of sleep over the whole scenario but has also made me realize changes must be made before I am really ready to own a Delorean. I have since purchased a good tow vehicle so I can haul one if needed, sold one car, and listed other cars for sale. I am very serious about turning this unfortunate situation around reasonably soon.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

That is a car that's stood for quite a time and has not been touched at all. Compared to my current car, 5003: the previous owner left the car in a lawn for years. One day, the son decides he wants to drive it to school. The parents, fulfilling the son's request, took the car to a shop to get it running. They spent thousands on fuel components and other things to get the car to pass inspection. After a time, the family finally decided it's too much to deal with. When I got the car (on a trade), I think it had around 50,000 miles on it. The engine ran rough, the steering was trash, interior sunburned, seats ripped, headliners stained, door seals ripped, etc, but hey-I had a DeLorean. Back then I didn't even know to look at the vulnerable frame and one day into my short ownership I took a sharp turn to get on a different street and heard a crushing sound from the front. I pull into a gas station to find a weak, rust ridden front end extension that had bent from the force of the swaybar. Two or three times I removed the frame attempting to fix the rust. The next time I removed the frame was to swap it with a good used one to end my rust issues altogether. I can't even tell you how many parts I've replaced.

I have a great car now but I paid probably 2X the amount I would have if I had just been patient and waited for a good one to come around. I spent countless hours working on the car when I could have been doing other things. It's all fun at first but gets very old quickly when you realize the extent of repairs needed.

In short, don't lose sleep over this, be grateful.
    -----Dan B.

Don't worry. It will show up again soon. Only it will have been rinsed off with a garden hose and another zero added to the price.

Just watch, that is the way it always goes with the cars that are projects at project prices. They become priced the same as a decent car by some yahoo looking for a flip who sees the selling prices online when they are anything but a decent car.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

The flap hood alone is worth more than the asking price. At this point, I would value a parts car with good stainless and a clean title at $10K minimum. If the frame is good and the engine turns, the price would go up from there.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post

I spent countless hours working on the car when I could have been doing other things. It's all fun at first but gets very old quickly when you realize the extent of repairs needed.
    This is exactly why I wanted a running, driving, road worthy DeLorean. I’ve waited years to own one. Now that I finally have one I want to drive it NOW.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    The flap hood alone is worth more than the asking price. At this point, I would value a parts car with good stainless and a clean title at $10K minimum. If the frame is good and the engine turns, the price would go up from there.
    As a 1,500.00 parts car it's a dream. As a resto project, it's a nightmare that you will not wake from (for about 2 or 3 years).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast