FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How To: Binnacle Removal and Bulb Replacement

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
    Just an update for those looking to do this on their own, I pulled my first binnacle last week (slightly different process) but I took a clean approach today to pull one from a car with a clean interior. I didn't need to pull the seat out. I used the following tools:

1/4" drive socket wrench
    two 3" long 1/4" drive extensions (could have used a single 6" but I was already in there with a deep socket and 3" extension and it wasn't working for me).
    1/4" drive universal joint
    7mm 6-point socket (standard length).

Had the cluster out in under 10 mins. If you don't like laying with your back on the doorsill you may want to remove the seat, but I've never removed a seat to do anything under the dash of a car except for when I converted my Impala SS from an automatic to a 6-speed.
    Did you use a screwdriver as well to remove the screws, or did you not need to?

My VIN:    891, 1045

Ah, yes, I did use a Phillips Head screwdriver. The main thing was not removing the seat and not needing a deep well socket. I was using a Craftsman socket so other brands may be more shallow.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Thanks

My VIN:    16245

I have to pull my seat anyway today, so I'm doing this. I bought LED' a year ago.. finally putting them in.

Does anyone know how to determine positive and negative? LED lights have a polarity I read. I'd hate to do trial and error.

Thanks
    Jeff
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
    I have to pull my seat anyway today, so I'm doing this. I bought LED' a year ago.. finally putting them in.

Does anyone know how to determine positive and negative? LED lights have a polarity I read. I'd hate to do trial and error.

Thanks
    Jeff
    If they are not marked, then they must have a diode to protect them if installed backwards. So you could just wire each one up to a battery and mark them when they light.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16409

This is unrelated to all the LED discussion, but I wanted to report how I've made it easier to install and remove the binnacle. Instead of using standard nuts, I've converted over to wing nuts. Now I can undo all the nuts without using tools and diving into the foot well. The wing nuts really simply the whole process. The nut specification is M4 with a 0.7 thread pitch. I found the wing nuts at Ace.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

I replaced dash lights with LEDs. Thanks to the detail write ups, I was able to remove dash in about 20 minutes or so. I bought some wing nuts from Homedepot for $0.25 each. I could only use wing nuts for three bolts. Other areas were too difficult to use wing nuts. Entire project took about an hour but my back and neck are killing me. Need a chiropractor service after this.

I used red LEDs but it was not very bright. Plus, green head light indicator was way too bright. I need to get a brighter red LEDs and/or less bright green LED. Overall, I am not happy with the result.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Racerx View Post
    I used red LEDs but it was not very bright. Plus, green head light indicator was way too bright. I need to get a brighter red LEDs and/or less bright green LED. Overall, I am not happy with the result.
    That's what I find. I'm waiting for the design of RED LEDs to improve someday.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16245

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    If they are not marked, then they must have a diode to protect them if installed backwards. So you could just wire each one up to a battery and mark them when they light.
    Good call.. thanks!
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    That's what I find. I'm waiting for the design of RED LEDs to improve someday.
    Super bright LEDs red bulbs are pretty decent. Ive had good luck with their 194 bulbs.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast