FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: John Hervey Strikes again

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by BLWNAWY View Post
    I wasn't going to pile onto this, but after reading some of the comments just can't resist. I have nothing to lose since I would never buy from John anyway.

In 1986 I started my DeLorean parts business, Specialty Automotive, in Olympia WA. I was totally inexperienced in running a business, but had one major goal - fair, prompt and honest service. Any complaints, and there were really very few, were dealt with quickly and to the customer's satisfaction even if I lost money on the deal. I think I built up a good reputation quickly that way. But suddenly I began getting complaints about shoddy products and demands that I take parts back THAT I HAD NEVER SOLD! After checking into this I found that there was a new player in the game going by the name of Special T DeLorean Parts. In their frustration with him, customers were somehow assuming that the name similarity meant we were branches of the same business I guess. After fielding a number of these complaints I called John to discuss the issue. One of my first questions was "Why in the world did you choose a business name so close to mine in such a limited market?" His response was to the effect of "It's a free world, what's your problem?" I could see quickly that this was not going to go well. Luckily our paths diverged somewhat, with me sticking to OEM parts and innovations like remote door opener kits, steering column bushings, s/s speedo cables, etc. while he apparently focused more on other areas. To this day I have no idea why he tried to clone my well-established business name, or where "Special 'T'" even came from. I eventually sold my business and moved on, never expecting to come back to the world of DeLorean ownership. What goes around.....
    What a total dick move. I have for the last 6 or 7 years been telling people what an ass he was to me for no reason whatsoever. I had a missing piece from my order and questioned him about it (just asking, not being upset, I thought it was either on back order or maybe shipped in a separate box and just wanted to make sure it was ordered ) when he got totally hostile and started screaming into the phone at me?? I got the whole "I'm a one man show here, WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?" I just said I want you to hang up the phone and I did the same. He will never see another dollar from me again. EVER!
    Last edited by Michael; 01-31-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLWNAWY View Post
    I wasn't going to pile onto this, but after reading some of the comments just can't resist. I have nothing to lose since I would never buy from John anyway.

In 1986 I started my DeLorean parts business, Specialty Automotive, in Olympia WA. I was totally inexperienced in running a business, but had one major goal - fair, prompt and honest service. Any complaints, and there were really very few, were dealt with quickly and to the customer's satisfaction even if I lost money on the deal. I think I built up a good reputation quickly that way. But suddenly I began getting complaints about shoddy products and demands that I take parts back THAT I HAD NEVER SOLD! After checking into this I found that there was a new player in the game going by the name of Special T DeLorean Parts. In their frustration with him, customers were somehow assuming that the name similarity meant we were branches of the same business I guess. After fielding a number of these complaints I called John to discuss the issue. One of my first questions was "Why in the world did you choose a business name so close to mine in such a limited market?" His response was to the effect of "It's a free world, what's your problem?" I could see quickly that this was not going to go well. Luckily our paths diverged somewhat, with me sticking to OEM parts and innovations like remote door opener kits, steering column bushings, s/s speedo cables, etc. while he apparently focused more on other areas. To this day I have no idea why he tried to clone my well-established business name, or where "Special 'T'" even came from. I eventually sold my business and moved on, never expecting to come back to the world of DeLorean ownership. What goes around.....
    Usually when a business intends to create a brand, it chooses a name that is eligible for trademark protection. Trademarks allow you to protect your investment in your business by preventing others from cashing-in on your reputation.

A term like "Specialty Automotive" is merely descriptive and would normally not be eligible for trademark protection absent a number of additional factors. A quick Google search reveals hundreds of other businesses using a variation of that name, so I think it would be unlikely that you could register it.

In other words, the business name is akin to "Fresh Doughnuts." If a court enforces the exclusive use of a descriptive term as a registered trademark, then thousands of other businesses won't be able to describe what they're selling (fresh doughnuts). Those businesses would have to call them "Fresh Fried Dough Rings." If someone then registers that term as a trademark, businesses would have to think of something else to use. You can see how this would hurt commerce in the long run.

You would have better success defending your brand using a name like "BLWNAWY DeLorean Parts" or something similarly arbitrary.
    Last edited by Drive Stainless; 01-31-2017 at 03:50 PM.

My VIN:    1569

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    On a similar note I sent DPI my old core motor six months ago
    and haven't received my 2500.00 deposit....
    I find it hard to believe there's no comments on this statement.

I have bought parts from both companies and can't remember any major issues with either.

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Usually when a business intends to create a brand, it chooses a name that is eligible for trademark protection. Trademarks allow you to protect your investment in your business by preventing others from cashing-in on your reputation.

A term like "Specialty Automotive" is merely descriptive and would normally not be eligible for trademark protection absent a number of additional factors. A quick Google search reveals hundreds of other businesses using a variation of that name, so I think it would be unlikely that you could register it.

In other words, the business name is akin to "Fresh Doughnuts." If a court enforces the exclusive use of a descriptive term as a registered trademark, then thousands of other businesses won't be able to describe what they're selling (fresh doughnuts). Those businesses would have to call them "Fresh Fried Dough Rings." If someone then registers that term as a trademark, businesses would have to think of something else to use. You can see how this would hurt commerce in the long run.

You would have better success defending your brand using a name like "BLWNAWY DeLorean Parts" or something similarly arbitrary.
    I know why I chose it - it was intentionally generic so that if the DeLorean parts venture didn't work out I could morph it into street rod parts or classic car parts, my other interests. I knew there were other Specialty Automotive businesses right here in my own state and had no intention or desire to trademark it. The point made was why would a new competitor choose to copy it in a market with only 4 or 5 vendors at that time. He didn't even have a "T" in his name, so "Special T" made no sense other than to tread on my established record. I didn't really care much until all the complaints starting showing up on the DeLorean Mailing List and similar places. I can't help but believe it may have had some negative effects on my business just due to the name similarity - all it took was for one owner to tell another about his problems dealing with "Special T Automotive". Water under the bridge now. Toby changed the name to DeLorean Parts NW and now doesn't have that problem.
    1981 DeLorean w/supercharged Chevy V6 - purchased 1990; built '90-'95; sold 2005; re-purchased 2016; sold again 2017
    1957 Dodge D500 Hemi convertible - restoration completed 7/2015; sold 12/2019
    1957 Dodge 2-door station wagon, 2019 Chrysler drivetrain
    2000 Corvette convertible

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I used to order from John quite frequently back in the early 2000's when business was new. Back then there were still some issues but they'd be corrected and he would even spend time on the phone with me helping me diagnose a problem.

This was back then. Now? While maybe he has a few good products here and there (?), one thing to keep in mind is that what he is selling is parts that "fit" but are parts that aren't the best design and ones you can get at any parts house for half the price, if not even for even more than half off of what he sells for. His shocks (which extend more than original causing your LCA to hit the frame) will come with part numbers ground off and a DAP sticker over the damage so you can't reference them or see how much they really cost. His $100 stainless fuel level sender (that has no low fuel warning feature) is nothing more than a Marine fuel / water sender that you can get easily on Amazon for at least half of that. His alternators are GM remanufactured alternators from a Cadillac that he stamps with a D140 he calls his DeLorean Brute alternator which I purchased two of and saw no difference between a D120 or a D140 aside from price. Both alternator's magnets used to screech loudly which was a whole other issue. I could go on about the all-in-one fuel pump, switches, clock etc etc.

I haven't placed a major order with him in probably over a decade. I ordered twice I believe in the past 7 years. The first was for a replacement alternator pigtail. Through email I asked what resistor was buried in the pigtail so I could simply fix mine. John responded with something along the lines of - don't worry I'll just send you a new one what is your address. I send my full name and address, and he responds asking "Are you the Dan that was in the Army?". Once he found out who I was, and more than likely because I did not have the most kind things to say about his products in the past, I was charged $12 + postage for a pigtail I could have gotten from the parts store or just fixed mine for free.

The last thing I ordered, like an idiot who never learns, was a fuel pump boot and fuel screen and even that was a pain in the ass. At least this time he had some girl working for him taking order so I didn't get the blacklist treatment. I specify the screen needed was for the original set up. What do I get? The screen for his "new" setup where the screen goes directly on the bottom of the pump. Not only that, the fuel pump boot lasted literally one week - I went to get gas one day and smelled a strong fuel odor and realized I'm leaving a fuel trailing behind me as I was leaving. After I investigate, the fuel pump boot was split in dozens of places....

Never again.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    2942

I have ordered all kinds of stuff from him over the 20 plus years i have had my Delorean. I never had a problem. But i have not had any problems from any vendors of Delorean parts. Guess i'm just lucky.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    His alternators are GM remanufactured alternators from a Cadillac that he stamps with a D140 he calls his DeLorean Brute alternator which I purchased two of and saw no difference between a D120 or a D140 aside from price. Both alternator's magnets used to screech loudly which was a whole other issue.
    I do not know about what your screech is related to, but I can speak to the experience with the alternator I purchased from him which was a 150 amp alternator. It seems to have some very tight internal tolerances because it whistles as it spins. Not exactly a klaxon siren, but very noticeable. The other problem was water. With the stock 90 amp Motorola, I never had a problem driving through standing water during, or after a big rainstorm. But with the D150, whenever I hit water the alternator would go out. I know this because the voltage dipped and my battery light would come on. The only way to fix it was to gun the engine in neutral to get the RPMs up high. I guess that would get the thing to spin all of the water out. After 2-3 seconds of that the battery light would go off and the voltage would go back up.

John doesn't sell the D150 unit any longer. I don't know why, but perhaps this is the reason. I don't know. He still sells the 140 amp unit, but as part of it's description states, "Made primary for highway use and higher current draw." I've no idea what "highway use" is supposed to mean.

I do agree that John has some parts that are indeed very useful. Such as the battery cables and A/C hoses. However, and this isn't a slight against John, or any other vendor, I'm honestly just more inclined now to buy the crimping tools and fabricate the parts myself. As someone who is a car hobbyist, I'll definitely use the tools again on other projects, and that will save me money and time in the long run. Otherwise, after years of dicking around at parts counters and the like to see what part will fit my vehicle (not just for the DeLorean, but ALL of the cars I've owned), I'm more comfortable with approved parts built to spec rather than ones that just cross over. Especially if I, or the vendor who sold them to me, have to file something to make them fit.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I may have a D160 if that was even a thing back then - it was whatever the highest amp alternator he offered was. My screeching is related to the magnets inside the alternator. They'd screech loudly and sound like it was a slipping belt but it was not. While screeching there would be no output and my voltage gauge would be low. This would happen especially when cold or, like you, when it was raining or I hit water. I'd have to slowly tap the accelerator until the RPMs would raise and the noise would disappear restoring my voltage to ~14. I took the alternator apart one day to find the plastic housing for the magnets was cracked in numerous places. So, I order a D110 so I have something for my daily driving D, ship back the 160 so he can repair it and had the same issue with the D110. This is how I ended up with two alternators. John fixed the 160, shipped it back and it STILL screeched in my car.

It isn't a problem with my car, I took one of the alternators and put it in my 1957 Cadillac, replacing the generator. It still screeches in that car to this day. It has something to do with the magnets whether they're jumping or sticking, I have no idea.

I do know about the alternator whine, I hear it too all the time, lets me know my battery is charging and it really isn't that obnoxious.

As far as vendors, out of the 6 varieties I've ordered from (counting DMCH/DMCFLC/A etc all as one), I've had issues with 4 of them. However, aside from DAP when I've had an issue, I've gotten courteous, kind, helpful responses. I've gotten parts specific to my vehicle that weren't some cross referenced kind of fit part that would do more harm than good on my vehicle. I've had, by far, the most issues with DAP parts out of all vendors.

Speaking of DAP / Special T:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...725#post212725

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    I do not know about what your screech is related to, but I can speak to the experience with the alternator I purchased from him which was a 150 amp alternator. It seems to have some very tight internal tolerances because it whistles as it spins. Not exactly a klaxon siren, but very noticeable. The other problem was water. With the stock 90 amp Motorola, I never had a problem driving through standing water during, or after a big rainstorm. But with the D150, whenever I hit water the alternator would go out. I know this because the voltage dipped and my battery light would come on. The only way to fix it was to gun the engine in neutral to get the RPMs up high. I guess that would get the thing to spin all of the water out. After 2-3 seconds of that the battery light would go off and the voltage would go back up.

John doesn't sell the D150 unit any longer. I don't know why, but perhaps this is the reason. I don't know. He still sells the 140 amp unit, but as part of it's description states, "Made primary for highway use and higher current draw." I've no idea what "highway use" is supposed to mean.

I do agree that John has some parts that are indeed very useful. Such as the battery cables and A/C hoses. However, and this isn't a slight against John, or any other vendor, I'm honestly just more inclined now to buy the crimping tools and fabricate the parts myself. As someone who is a car hobbyist, I'll definitely use the tools again on other projects, and that will save me money and time in the long run. Otherwise, after years of dicking around at parts counters and the like to see what part will fit my vehicle (not just for the DeLorean, but ALL of the cars I've owned), I'm more comfortable with approved parts built to spec rather than ones that just cross over. Especially if I, or the vendor who sold them to me, have to file something to make them fit.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    "Made primary for highway use and higher current draw." I've no idea what "highway use" is supposed to mean
    It means it runs way too hot and needs constant airflow to keep it from self destructing

Has anybody ever seen a car that seems to eat alternators like a DeLorean?

One of the most popular modifications is to remove the hot air stove and piping. I believe that a side effect of this mod is that you remove a radiant heat shield from the exhaust manifold and subject the regulator assembly to additional heat. The cast iron manifold is less than 2" from the alternator body.

My OEM Motorola was melting after 6000 miles post stove removal. I replaced the alternator and fabbed an aluminum heat shield for the manifold. Time will tell!
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    It means it runs way too hot and needs constant airflow to keep it from self destructing

Has anybody ever seen a car that seems to eat alternators like a DeLorean?
    A good reason to use an alternator with a lifetime warranty from your local parts store. Just sayin'!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast