FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Moment fans kick in

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    Thank,you all.

After 2 years I bought back my Delorean.
    The previous owner told me he suspects the otterstat is not working, or he was affraid to let it climb to high.
    I installed a bypass for manually engage the fans.
    So how far should I let it go to see if they activate by themselves before overheating it?

John
    I wouldn’t let it get much past the half way mark. At that point you are not far from the caution range. This assumes that the gauge, temp sender, etc is working correctly.

My VIN:    03572

My fans kick on a little past the 1/4 mark. But I think my otterstat is a lower setting. You don't want the fans to kick on until your thermostat has been open and the temp starts to rise. So on a cold engine you can feel where the thermostat opens bye feeling the hose feeding the otterstat pipe. Check what your gauge reads then. With the cold radiaor you will see the temp gauge go down and up a little a few times until the coolant warms up the radiator. Now keep it running and when the temp gauge starts to climb that is when you want your fans to kick on. So use your thermostat as your base line test, the gauge is less accurate.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Every car has a slightly different point at which the fans start. The temperature gauge is not that accurate. What is important is how your car acts and if it changes that is a warning sign. Best to use a non-contact infra red temperature gauge and make sure the motor doesn't get over 200 degrees F. As important as when the fans start, when they stop is also important. If the cooling fan circuit breaker popping is what stops them, that is no good. Make sure you have the uprated breaker so the fans don't cycle because the breaker keeps popping and resetting.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Every car has a slightly different point at which the fans start. The temperature gauge is not that accurate. What is important is how your car acts and if it changes that is a warning sign. Best to use a non-contact infra red temperature gauge and make sure the motor doesn't get over 200 degrees F. As important as when the fans start, when they stop is also important. If the cooling fan circuit breaker popping is what stops them, that is no good. Make sure you have the uprated breaker so the fans don't cycle because the breaker keeps popping and resetting.
    You could have just said "make sure your car doesn't get too hot", and that would have carried no less information.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    You could have just said "make sure your car doesn't get too hot", and that would have carried no less information.
    He mentioned an updated breaker. I didn't know anything about this and don't know if I have it or not. (I will investigate) I did know everything else in the post, but not everyone would. So I would have to disagree that it carried no less info than your statement. On the other hand, I would say your post didn't advance our knowledge at all. It would be OK if it was funny, but I didn't get that either.

Just saying.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Too hot is a subjective term. 200 degrees F is a specific temperature. The uprated breaker for the cooling fans are part of each vendor's "Relay Upgrade Kit" that includes several relays and circuit breakers. Each vendor has a slightly different kit of parts they include. Every new owner should make sure they have that kit and also that all of the recalls have been done. If you still have the blue fan fail relay, that should be removed too. I also recommend putting a 10 amp in-line fuse on the big red wire going to the door lock module and replacing the Ducy alternator if you have it. Other "improvements" include the upper muffler bracket, metal header tank, and copper/brass radiator. Tires no older than 7 years (read the date codes) and the battery no more than 5. These are the minimum required to make the car more reliable.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Too hot is a subjective term.
    You don't do irony, do you David? I guess the following will be wasted, but I feel like saying it anyway.

Every new owner.. blah lecture blah
    If every new owner followed your advice, they'd be filled with anxiety and would never have time to actually drive their car. New owners (and especially new mechanics) are looking for very specific advice and hand holding, not over-arching guidelines, or life advice.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    You don't do irony, do you David? I guess the following will be wasted, but I feel like saying it anyway.

If every new owner followed your advice, they'd be filled with anxiety and would never have time to actually drive their car. New owners (and especially new mechanics) are looking for very specific advice and hand holding, not over-arching guidelines, or life advice.
    You have leveled up in delorean ownership! You have been around long enough to find David's advice isnt always helpful. He does a great job at reciting the shop manual.
    David does mean well, and he somewhat has a grasps on how forums work with how he replies (half the time). But for the most part just says his blurb and moves on. Take it for what its worth I suppose.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    You have leveled up in delorean ownership! You have been around long enough to find David's advice isnt always helpful. He does a great job at reciting the shop manual.
    David does mean well, and he somewhat has a grasps on how forums work with how he replies (half the time). But for the most part just says his blurb and moves on. Take it for what its worth I suppose.
    You could have just said, "He's trying to be didactic", and that would have carried no less information.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'm just posting this so my phone gets updates on this thread.

-----Dan B.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast