FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Choices of speakers

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by aryx View Post
    Thanks for the extremly detailed info, should now be a walk in the park =) Some parts have arrived, got the wrong size sub, so need to find the correct one.

Attachment 6277Attachment 6276
    You've got a new deck. It's probably got a sub output on the back, which would make things much easier too.

Are those new e-brake and shift boot leathers?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    1356

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    You've got a new deck. It's probably got a sub output on the back, which would make things much easier too.

Are those new e-brake and shift boot leathers?
    Yes, I have an amp output for front, back and bass, so it will help =)

Yes, new boots for the shift and e-brake. (bought a custom set from http://redlinegoods.com/Deloreanshiftboot.shtm )

My VIN:    1968

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

It was mentioned here that 6x9s would fit if the bracket was modified. Anyone here has done it? Is it worth going up in size from the Infinity 5 1/4 to 6x9?

Quote Originally Posted by aludden View Post
    It was mentioned here that 6x9s would fit if the bracket was modified. Anyone here has done it? Is it worth going up in size from the Infinity 5 1/4 to 6x9?
    Perhaps, if you're NOT adding a sub. Otherwise you won't notice much difference.

.75 in won't produce significantly larger waveforms (for bass).
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Perhaps, if you're NOT adding a sub. Otherwise you won't notice much difference.

.75 in won't produce significantly larger waveforms (for bass).
    Well, it's .75" in one direction, but 3.75" in the other... (ovals as opposed to round)

And you can get a 3-way in a 6x9, if that makes any difference.

I don't plan to add a sub, just replace the radio with a Sony or JVC head unit @50W/ch.
    I just want to do something nice and good, without adding a lot of extras ($$$).
    There isn't much price difference between the 5 1/4 and 6x9, so if that's better I am willing to do that.

According to a formula I just found, a 6x9 oval is almost twice as large as a 5 1/4 circle... :-)

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I first had pyramid 4X10s - they sounded pretty bad. I tried some infinity 6X9's, they sounded... better - but I immediately packed them up and got the 529's, and they sounded a lot better.

A round speaker is going to provide better quality sound than an oval shaped speaker, but the oval may be able to handle more power. If you want fidelity, get the round ones, they handle the power just fine. If you want it really really loud, get the 6X9s, but don't expect it to sound as smooth at reasonable volume levels.

Think of it this way - virtually every concert speaker, every theater loudspeaker, the monitor speakers in recording studios - all quality speakers are round. I'm sure someone here can point out an exception - but when I got to spend close to a million on a sound system, every speaker in the building was round, except the ones in the video monitors, and those were turned off.

If your not sure, buy both and take one set back...

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    I first had pyramid 4X10s - they sounded pretty bad. I tried some infinity 6X9's, they sounded... better - but I immediately packed them up and got the 529's, and they sounded a lot better.
    [...]
    Cool! Thank you! That was the kind of answer I was looking for. I guess bigger isn't always better. I will order the 529s.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by aludden View Post
    Well, it's .75" in one direction, but 3.75" in the other... (ovals as opposed to round)
    Very true! But wave forms aren't oval shaped, which is why a smaller circular speaker will produce a more "true" bass frequency then slightly larger oval shaped cones. The speaker can only produce frequencies as low as the size of the speaker and distance it moves back and forth will allow.

Ah, but what about headphones you ask?! Headphones and ear buds trick our brains by only providing upper order harmonics, leaving our brains to "assume" there must be the fundamental frequency (the bass note). Our brains fill in the gaps.

The more you know (insert colorful rainbow)!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast