FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got a new clutch, having problems shifting into reverse..

My VIN:    07000

Got a new clutch, having problems shifting into reverse..

Hi everyone,
    I recently had some work done to the car to fix the leaky transmission (lots and lots of black goop coming out..) - which turned out to be a bad sleeve over the input shaft, and how whoever did the engine swap back in the early 80's did it with lot of ingenuity and a bog hammer...

So, the leak is fixed thanks to Don, and we also had the clutch disc replaced, as well as the master cylinder and 4 braid clutch lines. The car shifts fine in all gears, but going into reverse, I have to go fast to prevent lots of grinding, or shut off the car, put it in reverse, then start up and I'm good. He also replaced the reverse switch - don't know if that has an effect or not?

And he did mention the clutch pedal or master can be adjusted - he said it did look like the clutch pedal was adjustable..

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Greg

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Try shifting into first, then reverse while stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----Dan B.

Okay- I'll give it a shot this weekend- in DC til the end of the week.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It may take a little wearing in till that stops.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Okay- I'll give it a shot this weekend- in DC til the end of the week.
    Also post a photo of your clutch pedal linkage.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi Greg,

When I finished my clutch job, my crossover cable needed some fine adjustments to return normal shifting in the gears. Initially, I was having the same problems as you with shifting into first gear. I'd suggest checking that cable.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It may take a little wearing in till that stops.
    As in "all the teeth on reverse gear"?

This typically means one of a couple things:

1 - Air in the hydraulic system. Bleed it again
    2 - Flywheel was not "stepped" properly when cut, i.e. too thick. Find another machine shop.
    3 - Defective pressure plate. Rare but it happens
    4 - Mis-adjusted adjustable link. If you HAVE an adjustable link, please check the linkage and the pins for wear. There are a bunch of them out there that were improperly made and the pins and the link wear rapidly. This will cause the same symptom, and eventually the link or pins will fail causing clutch action to stop working.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Sounds to me like your clutch isn't fully disengaging. The rest of the gears will have a little bit of compliance for this due to the synchronizers (though it will still wear them faster). Reverse in this transmission is not a synchronized gear, and you're likely trying to shift while the input shaft is still rotating. Your previous clutch was probably worn to a point where it wasn't an issue but a brand new clutch is likely a lot more sticky. Luckily if you have an adjustable master cylinder, you should be able to change how much it's engaging, though that too is a balancing act. Like Dave said though, I'd still definitely fully bleed the system to make sure there is no air.

Thanks guys. Don bled the system a few times, so I doubt there's still any air in there. I'll see if I can adjust the master- it's from DMCH. Also when I get a chance I'll take a look at the linkage by the pedal. Also, where is the crossover cable??

My VIN:    5180

The crossover cable adjustment is above the end transmission end cover. Its probably not the issue though, If you don't have issues finding 1st and 3rd.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast