FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: John Delorean Trial - US-UK Documents

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

John Delorean Trial - US-UK Documents

I'm reading an excerpt from the book "The Trial Lawyers: The Nation's Top Litigators Tell How They Win". In the book. Delorean's lawyer, through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requested all documents on the Delorean case. The US government refused to release the documents between the State Department and the UK government because it would "violate foreign policy considerations and could have an effect on national security." So at the time those documents were not released. Since then, has anyone ever gotten copies of those documents? It would be hard to believe that it would be a national security issue. I bring it up because of the conspiracy issue regarding how involved the UK government with Delorean's downfall. These documents could shed some light on the issue.
    Shannon

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    I'm reading an excerpt from the book "The Trial Lawyers: The Nation's Top Litigators Tell How They Win". In the book. Delorean's lawyer, through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requested all documents on the Delorean case. The US government refused to release the documents between the State Department and the UK government because it would "violate foreign policy considerations and could have an effect on national security." So at the time those documents were not released. Since then, has anyone ever gotten copies of those documents? It would be hard to believe that it would be a national security issue. I bring it up because of the conspiracy issue regarding how involved the UK government with Delorean's downfall. These documents could shed some light on the issue.

As usual I don't have any concrete answers but if you couldn't get them then, I'd say you have even less of a chance now. Have you ever tried a FOIA? I have, and the results are bizarre. First a denial, then a letter saying they are considering it, and then nothing at all. Over the years, the requests have been so numerous that the government has gotten very good at listing any and all reasons to deny release. They utilize their own Agency Office of General Counsel to employ their general refusals, and of course, it's these blanket reasons like "compromising security" etc. There are so many loopholes to disclosure that the law eats itself. So much for transparency.

UK conspiracy? To put it simply. My government, over-looked reports saying project success was unlike, for political/NI troubles reasons.
    It invested 10's of millions of my money, to make the car a reality.
    Distrust of was spread by un-realistic claims and dodgy financial reporting.
    This undermined any remaining good will towards the project when it came for further cash bail-outs.
    It was no conspiracy, the company wasn't very well organised & in the end the product just didn't sell.

My VIN:    10644

Quote Originally Posted by 88KPH View Post
    10's of millions of my money
    Whoa, thanks for that, 88KPH!

Welcome matey! At least that's one thankyou!
    Still looking for my 26 million that vanished though.

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Since the original request under the FOIA was done back in 1982 by the lawyers and they couldn't get it then, the information may be available now. Anyone who has had experience at requesting information under the FOIA want to try to get the information?
    Shannon