FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with Glove Box Latch

My VIN:    05818

Help with Glove Box Latch

I did a good amount of digging throughout the forum to make sure I didn't miss anything regarding this, but does anyone have experience replacing a glove box latch? Mine appears to be missing:

I know a few places sell replacement latches, but beforehand I'm curious as to how I can remove what's left of the existing one. Any tips?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by PotooBrigham View Post
    I did a good amount of digging throughout the forum to make sure I didn't miss anything regarding this, but does anyone have experience replacing a glove box latch? Mine appears to be missing:

I know a few places sell replacement latches, but beforehand I'm curious as to how I can remove what's left of the existing one. Any tips?
    The glovebox latch is the same as the VW Scirocco. I immediately recognized it as I had 2 Sciroccos.

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    The glovebox latch is the same as the VW Scirocco. I immediately recognized it as I had 2 Sciroccos.

Huh, how about that. Is there a way to take it apart with the glove box shut? My problem is there's no way to open it because the top half is missing.

Huh, how about that. Is there a way to take it apart with the glove box shut? My problem is there's no way to open it because the top half is missing.
    Can you post a picture of the area? My first thought is using an appropriate flat blade screwdriver in the hole
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Your car is missing just the upper half of the latch, the part with opposing buttons you would squeeze together toward the middle in order to disengage the left and right catches inside the glove box.

You'll need a new latch, Item 14 in this diagram. Assuming you can get it open.

I haven't seen one broken the way yours broke. Maybe you can post a close-up looking straight down on what's left of your latch and somebody can point to the parts I'm thinking you will see on it....

Getting it open - best guess: If you can see two spring-loaded plastic or metal arms or tabs on the left-right side of what's left of the latch try simultaneously pushing them both toward the center with two small screwdrivers. Maybe a thin needlenose pliers or snap ring pliers will work. While doing that try not to push down on the lid at all because the lid-lifting spring is pretty weak. If you push the lid down you might unlatch the lid but it will stay closed just because you're pushing it down - even though the two latches have released.

Alternately you can ask a helper to gently pry up on the front of the lid with a thin plastic tool while you attempt to move both tabs to release the catch. That way the lid will pop up a bit whenever you get them both free. If they pry the lid too much, though, it might jam the latches against the catch making it harder to disengage them.

After you open it you'll see the u-shaped clip, Item 15 in the diagram, that retains the latch. Push-slide it evenly forward off the latch toward the lid hinge so as not to crack it. Save it to attach the new latch.

Make sure the new latch includes the center cap. It seems to be an optional part in the diagram although the photo of the latch shows a center cap in it.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Can you post a picture of the area? My first thought is using an appropriate flat blade screwdriver in the hole
    Here we go, took a bit fro the weather to cooperate.

The top half just. Missing.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

That photo helps. Might need one more, though.

Before getting into the details about how to release it without the buttons on the missing piece is there any way you might be able to find the missing top half of the latch? Pressing it back into place will probably get it open even it it's not a permanent fix.

A. It might be sitting someplace in the car. Check behind and under both seats (take them out for a better look - 4 nuts/bolts and 10 minutes for each one, accessed from under the car) and check in the storage cubby behind the front seat.
    B. Check with any previous owners you can find.
    C. Buy a new latch and take it apart, using the upper half to operate those two shiny tabs seen in the photo.

If you have to go in without the upper latch buttons then find a way to push both of the extended tabs on the two shiny stamped metal levers against their springs (that you can't see). When you push one of them to the left it will pull in and release the right striker pin from the catch. The one that you push to the right releases the left pin. They both pivot on the shiny vertical pin. Looks like both must be released at once. It might take a bit of force and maybe even more than two hands unless the pliers idea works.

Another closeup, this time from about 30deg below the latch. might give us a hint about which tab/lever to move in which direction.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    That photo helps. Might need one more, though.

Before getting into the details about how to release it without the buttons on the missing piece is there any way you might be able to find the missing top half of the latch? Pressing it back into place will probably get it open even it it's not a permanent fix.

A. It might be sitting someplace in the car. Check behind and under both seats (take them out for a better look - 4 nuts/bolts and 10 minutes for each one, accessed from under the car) and check in the storage cubby behind the front seat.
    B. Check with any previous owners you can find.
    C. Buy a new latch and take it apart, using the upper half to operate those two shiny tabs seen in the photo.

If you have to go in without the upper latch buttons then find a way to push both of the extended tabs on the two shiny stamped metal levers against their springs (that you can't see). When you push one of them to the left it will pull in and release the right striker pin from the catch. The one that you push to the right releases the left pin. They both pivot on the shiny vertical pin. Looks like both must be released at once. It might take a bit of force and maybe even more than two hands unless the pliers idea works.

Another closeup, this time from about 30deg below the latch. might give us a hint about which tab/lever to move in which direction.

Odd thing is neither of those little silver nubs are spring-loaded. In fact when I tried pressing them together, they kinda flew off, not attached to anything.

Odd thing is neither of those little silver nubs are spring-loaded. In fact when I tried pressing them together, they kinda flew off, not attached to anything.
    Thanks for the pictures. Here is what you are missing and can't see:

Underside

Top side:

I imagine you need to move those 2 visible tabs simultaneously in the correct way to move the 2 metal catches on the bottom
    side inwards, and therefore release the lid.
    Dana

So an update:

The small silver tabs sitting in the latch weren't attached to anything, so pulling them out, I could see the inner pieces deep inside. I was able to use a flathead screwdriver to jimmy them to an open position, and now it's open.

Just gotta order a new latch, and I'll have a working glove box.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast