FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Steering Bushing

Steering Bushing

I’m looking to replace my steering bushing. I don’t want to remove the steering column so I’m looking to split the bushing and slip it on. There are various choices available. DMC sells a Delrin (plastic) version. DGo offers a polyurethane version, a rubber option, and a Delrin version. The DGo instructions indicate the polyurethane and rubber bushings can be split and installed without removal of the steering column. Not so with the Delrin version. The DMC busing is out of stock so it’s a moot point to ask if they can be cut. What’s the best choice between poly and rubber, assuming you will be splitting the bushing? Does anyone have other tips or suggestions?

Ron

My VIN:    05257

Hi Ron, I got the old bushing failed and split in to the pieces. Looks like it was a plastic one, definitely 10+years old. I got the replacement Delrin from DMCH last year but never installed it since it is really hard, I doubt it will go in without removing the column. I installed the rubber version of DelorenGo, splitting it on the "casting Mark" - so far so good but haven driven much miles with the car. It was not an easy job even it was a rubber one. So definitely use the advise to warm it up in the water and lubricate.

I still have the DMCH Delrin one new, let me know if you need it.

My advise, go with the delrin one. It's not that hard of an install. I did mine in about an hour and a half. And then you'll never have to do it again.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

My VIN:    03500

First off I'm by far not a machanic just a little handy. This year I probably did more things to my car than previous years. I've done 99.9 percent of the wrenching my self. With all the things I've done this year pulling the steering column to replace the bushing was not that bad.

Dave B.

My VIN:    1132

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    I’m looking to replace my steering bushing. I don’t want to remove the steering column so I’m looking to split the bushing and slip it on. There are various choices available. DMC sells a Delrin (plastic) version. DGo offers a polyurethane version, a rubber option, and a Delrin version. The DGo instructions indicate the polyurethane and rubber bushings can be split and installed without removal of the steering column. Not so with the Delrin version. The DMC busing is out of stock so it’s a moot point to ask if they can be cut. What’s the best choice between poly and rubber, assuming you will be splitting the bushing? Does anyone have other tips or suggestions?

Ron
    I just did this job last week with the DGo delrin one. I did not have to remove the steering column fully. I found the instructions elsewhere on this forum. Basically, adjust the steering wheel all the way out. Then remove the trunk access cover to the clutch master cylinder. Now you can disconnect the knuckle by the clutch master. Be sure to mark the steering column between the knuckle joint so you know where to reconnect. You can turn the steering wheel so the knuckle bolt is fully accessible. With that knuckle bolt out completely, go to the inside of the car and slip the steering rod up into the adjustment sleeve. You can then move the steering column out of the way enough to put the new bushing in. I put some silicon grease around it but not sure that helped. It was pretty tight fit. What finally worked to pound it in was finding a tapered socket that would fit inside the hole. Then a long socket extension so I could hammer it in. Once bushing is in, slip the steering column back through the hole and into the knuckle. Make sure the steering wheel is turned to the same mark where it came out of the knuckle. Replace the knuckle bolt and you’re done.

Ryan,
    Thanks for the excellent instructions. As you note, the method you describe seems a good shortcut to getting the steering column out of the way without fully removing it, and therefore allowing the Delrin bushing to be installed without cutting. This is a bit more work than the "quicker" technique listed on the Dgo website (see insert below). But it would provide a more “durable” solution using longer lasting hard Delrin plastic without splitting the bushing.

Here is the split method installation as described on the Dgo website:
    We have found most times a quicker and easier way is that once you obtain the new bushing, you will see there is a casting mark on the bushing that runs across it. What you do is just on one side cut it so that it allows you to open up the bushing up like the letter "C". Then put the bushing in warm water to make it soft and apply some grease or lubricant around it (supplied), and then from inside the car, apply it in place and use a pry bar or large screw driver press it into place where it will actually lock into the firewall. For best results, orientate the split that you put in it to allow it to go around the column to the top so when you do lubricate it, the actual lubrication will go in and gives it a nice easy track to penetrate all the way around the shaft.

So, I would also appreciate hearing from any owners that have done the split technique; how it went, how long it took, whether rubber or poly was used, and how satisfying was the result.

Ron

Ron, this technique (splitting the bushing) will not work with Delrin. It is too hard, and as Ryan mentioned, it was not even easy to insert without the steering column in the way. DeloreanGo text is relevant to the polyurethane and rubber bushings.
    And I have described my experience above. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Azar View Post
    Ron, this technique (splitting the bushing) will not work with Delrin. It is too hard, and as Ryan mentioned, it was not even easy to insert without the steering column in the way. DeloreanGo text is relevant to the polyurethane and rubber bushings.
    And I have described my experience above. Hope this helps.
    Understood, and the Dgo website is clear that the split technique only applies to poly and rubber. I'm just looking to hear from someone that has used the split technique and read about their experience for comparison.

Ron

Just food for thought. Going through the history on my car. It had a rubber bushing put in in 07. When I installed the delrin this spring it was 100% gone

Quote Originally Posted by camaro430sut View Post
    Just food for thought. Going through the history on my car. It had a rubber bushing put in in 07. When I installed the delrin this spring it was 100% gone

How many miles did you cover since then? Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast