FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to remove broken exhaust stud

Just to add an old school method of a stuck fastener I had heard of years ago.

Heat up the fastener and take a candle and melt it around the hot threads.

It does work. You can google it too.

The acetone mixture that Rich mentioned I had read the same article and that also works.

WD-40 is useless in these cases.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by JETS 81 DMC View Post
    Just to add an old school method of a stuck fastener I had heard of years ago.

Heat up the fastener and take a candle and melt it around the hot threads.

It does work. You can google it too.

The acetone mixture that Rich mentioned I had read the same article and that also works.

WD-40 is useless in these cases.
    Yeah, that candle trick is the method I linked to in my exhaust refurb thread above. It worked well. And yes, WD-40 is more of a lubricant rather than a penetrating fluid. WD-40 works for me, but definitely, one can evaluate the level of the rust they are dealing with and use their favorite penetrating product.

Coreydmc, I'm glad you got them out. That's a tedious task for sure.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Here is a crazy question. On the manifold head studs which length goes into the head the shorter or longer? The ones I have from DMCH are 10mm threads on the short side, 18mm long side and 10mm smooth no threads in the middle. I thought the short side goes in the head, but 10mm doesn’t seem like enough bite...

Quote Originally Posted by coreydmc View Post
    Here is a crazy question. On the manifold head studs which length goes into the head the shorter or longer? The ones I have from DMCH are 10mm threads on the short side, 18mm long side and 10mm smooth no threads in the middle. I thought the short side goes in the head, but 10mm doesn’t seem like enough bite...
    I installed the shorter (10mm) side in the head:

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I installed the shorter (10mm) side in the head:

Did you use any sealant on the studs going into the head?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Never Seize. Use liberally on all of the exhaust hardware but be careful, it can get messy.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks Dave! I forgot to ask should I use RTV on the exhaust manifold gaskets or leave dry? If I use sealant is it on both sides?

Thanks Dave! I forgot to ask should I use RTV on the exhaust manifold gaskets or leave dry? If I use sealant is it on both sides?
    Hi. No sealant on the studs, but like David said, Never Sieze.... but I would caution you to not apply too much. Otherwise you'll increase the risk of the studs backing out under vibration. I recently had that happen after a few months on my daily driver engine rebuild. What a pain to retighten them in the car:

I used high temperature RTV (red colored) on the gaskets, both sides, as shown. If you want more detail, I outlined that in the thread I linked to above.

Good luck with the job.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 08-24-2019 at 05:15 PM.
    Dana

Tomorrow I will assemble the exhaust manifolds back on the heads. I picked up some high temp manifold gasket RTV sealer to use on both sides of the exhaust manifold gasket. I have been reading that some people say don’t use anything on the gaskets because the temp is to high and others say including DMCH write up to use a small amount of RTV on both sides. Makes sense to me to use it because it will fill in any perfections. Just trying to find out the correct way so I don’t have to do it again.
    Thanks!

Tomorrow I will assemble the exhaust manifolds back on the heads. I picked up some high temp manifold gasket RTV sealer to use on both sides of the exhaust manifold gasket. I have been reading that some people say don’t use anything on the gaskets because the temp is to high and others say including DMCH write up to use a small amount of RTV on both sides. Makes sense to me to use it because it will fill in any perfections. Just trying to find out the correct way so I don’t have to do it again.
    Thanks!
    You are welcome.
    Dana

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast