FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DMCH seat covers

My VIN:    10XXX

Club(s):   (DCF)

comparison of DMC and Hervey grey + black seat covers

Has anyone done a comparison between the grey + black 2 tone seat covers from DMC and Hervey. Both sites are a little confusing as to what is offered, and, I would be interested in the fit and quality of the material between the two.
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

Plush Sheepskin Seat Covers, Black or Gray

We have two pair of beautiful, plush sheepskin seat covers available @ $150.00 per pair. I can provide photos of covers on seats. Thanks, Byrne

My VIN:    10442

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by SBL View Post
    Has anyone done a comparison between the grey + black 2 tone seat covers from DMC and Hervey. Both sites are a little confusing as to what is offered, and, I would be interested in the fit and quality of the material between the two.
    I like the ones pictured under the 'New build two-tone interior':
    http://delorean.com/sales/
    They're pretty sharp-looking; and I was wondering how well they held-up, too...
    Last edited by beernpizzalover; 03-24-2013 at 03:29 PM.

My VIN:    10XXX

Club(s):   (DCF)

seats

This thread is not getting much attention It is a major investment. Srelu someone has compared the seats from these 2 vendors (?).
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

My VIN:    1710

This thread is not getting much attention It is a major investment. Srelu someone has compared the seats from these 2 vendors (?).
    The DMC Texas seatcovers are vastly superior to every other aftermarket replacement option out there. Their fit is the best, their materials are the best, their colors are the most closely matched, and they're the only replacement seatcovers which replicate the correct ripple look in the leather. I've been in the community over a decade, and have seen every seatcover replacement option available past & present. DMC Texas is the only way I'd go if I needed replacement seatcovers, unless I were able to procure a perfect set of New Old Stock seatcovers instead. The only way the DMC Texas seatcovers are inferior to their original NOS counterparts is they don't properly mimick the NOS pebble finish. Still, they're lightyears ahead of every other option.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    The DMC Texas seatcovers are vastly superior to every other aftermarket replacement option out there. Their fit is the best, their materials are the best, their colors are the most closely matched, and they're the only replacement seatcovers which replicate the correct ripple look in the leather. I've been in the community over a decade, and have seen every seatcover replacement option available past & present. DMC Texas is the only way I'd go if I needed replacement seatcovers, unless I were able to procure a perfect set of New Old Stock seatcovers instead. The only way the DMC Texas seatcovers are inferior to their original NOS counterparts is they don't properly mimick the NOS pebble finish. Still, they're lightyears ahead of every other option.
    And from what I understand, the DMCH covers use automotive upholstery grade material whereas the NOS/OEM ones used furniture grade leather that didn't hold up as well. Nice stuff but the wrong application for it.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

NOS/DMCH comparison

My two cents... Having a small stock of "perfect" NOS covers myself, and having obsessively compared a set of black to DMCH covers side by side recently, there are a few differences I noticed.

Ripples: DMCH went a bit overboard on the ripples. They are a bit brutal looking compared to the NOS which has a more graceful, almost more delightfully "random" look to it.

Color: DMCH didn't really nail that deep black color. The NOS look richer. I didn't have a gray set to compare at the time but there are subtle differences there as well from what I recall.

Texture: Definitely a difference here. I know DMCH tooled new vinyl to match NOS, they did pretty good but not a perfect match. The leather is definitely softer and more supple on the Black NOS, and what I describe to have more "character", which I personally like.

Longevity: Just a guess here, but I would think the DMCH covers would look "newer" longer due to the heftier materials they used. However, like a really good pair of shoes, the NOS gets character and really IS a great quality leather that will last as long as they have been taken care of.

Comfort: If you have your originals in your car, you will feel a big difference when recovering with NOS or DMCH. The padding turns to dust over time. I would think DMCH covers would hold up really well. But the NOS feel a tad more supple on my tush.

This is my assessment as to how the DMCH covers stack up against the originals, if you are the type that even cares about this sort of thing I am not sure how many miles were on the DMCH set and only did a side-by-side with one set. I have to say that the DMCH sets look really good, comparison aside. The two-tones look awesome, and all have a great fit. Just wanted to share this info.
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My VIN:    06960

Comparing the DMC "Two Tone" to other aftermarket ones, I'd definitely favor the DMC ones. Way better fit and finish and overall look. Plus with the perforation you get a more comfortable feel on long roadtrips in the summer. I have a custom "all-grey" version of the two tone seats and I love them. They dont have quite the rippled affect as NOS and the standard reproduction covers, but its still very nice compared to other seat covers I've seen.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    I have a custom "all-grey" version of the two tone seats and I love them. They dont have quite the rippled affect as NOS and the standard reproduction covers, but its still very nice compared to other seat covers I've seen.
    I'd love to see pics of your seats, I've wondered for years what solid colored perforated seats would look like in a DeLorean.

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    I'd love to see pics of your seats, I've wondered for years what solid colored perforated seats would look like in a DeLorean.
    I don't have any installed photos handy, but here is the "just completed" picture of the passenger seat from last summer...

FYI though, DMC has stated it would be unlikely for anyone else to order a custom cover like this. I dont think there were any problems doing this but other circumstances will prevent it for a long while.

Here is the whole thread on my recovering project including the heating and cooling additions...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?34...D-Cooled-Seats

Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast