FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Changing the crankshaft pulley - looking for guidance

My VIN:    3937

My parts arrived today. The newly made crankshaft pulley among other things. I'm a little perplexed though as it's kinda banged up a little. There are at least 3 fairly significant "cuts" or short grooves right into the outer edge. On at least one of them, the small piece of metal that got removed from that spot is still hanging off the underside like a burr.

What happened here do you think? It sure didn't seem like something that would have happened during shipping as the box was not damaged and everything inside was pretty well packed. Is there a reason these little cuts need to be in the pulley? I can't think of any. It just looks to me like it got unnecessarily damaged somehow. I'm not super thrilled with the idea of putting it on my car the way it is. Not with the amount of work needed to remove the one on my car... that is coming off because it's damaged. Not to mention this part was not cheap, nor were the rest of the things in my order.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Pictures of your own pulleys or if you also bought a new one whether yours looked like this too? Thanks.

IMG_3270.jpgIMG_3269.jpgIMG_3267.jpgIMG_3268.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    My parts arrived today. The newly made crankshaft pulley among other things. I'm a little perplexed though as it's kinda banged up a little. There are at least 3 fairly significant "cuts" or short grooves right into the outer edge. On at least one of them, the small piece of metal that got removed from that spot is still hanging off the underside like a burr.

What happened here do you think? It sure didn't seem like something that would have happened during shipping as the box was not damaged and everything inside was pretty well packed. Is there a reason these little cuts need to be in the pulley? I can't think of any. It just looks to me like it got unnecessarily damaged somehow. I'm not super thrilled with the idea of putting it on my car the way it is. Not with the amount of work needed to remove the one on my car... that is coming off because it's damaged. Not to mention this part was not cheap, nor were the rest of the things in my order.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Pictures of your own pulleys or if you also bought a new one whether yours looked like this too? Thanks.

IMG_3270.jpgIMG_3269.jpgIMG_3267.jpgIMG_3268.jpg
    Hi Jonathan,

I believe those cuts are normal. They are timing marks, one main cut and a shallower cut in another area as I recall. Here is my re-plated pulley where you can see the deeper cut along the bottom:

I'll look on my car to see if I see a third mark....
    Last edited by DMC-81; 03-11-2021 at 06:21 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

update

I checked my car and I saw 2 timing marks on the pulley as follows:

The deeper one (also pictured above):

The smaller one (to the right of the timing plate:

I didn't see a third one.

P.S. Excuse the dirt on the engine. I've been driving on most weekends.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Thanks Dana. Most helpful seeing those pics and your explanation. I think my new pulley is likely just fine afterall.

My apologies for at first assuming something was wrong on the new part and that I got screwed somehow. Doesn't appear to be the case. You know what this past year of living stuck at home, with no apparent end in sight, wondering what is the point anymore has done? It's turned everything sour, so that my first inkling isn't to expect something good out of the day, it's to expect the worst. This has been one gigantic shitty rut. Not just for me. Everyone has their own version. Kinda hoping the day comes where something turns out easier than expected, rather than a big hassle. I would take just feeling a small bit of joy doing anything in life right about now because I forget what that feels like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Thanks Dana. Most helpful seeing those pics and your explanation. I think my new pulley is likely just fine afterall.

My apologies for at first assuming something was wrong on the new part and that I got screwed somehow. Doesn't appear to be the case. You know what this past year of living stuck at home, with no apparent end in sight, wondering what is the point anymore has done? It's turned everything sour, so that my first inkling isn't to expect something good out of the day, it's to expect the worst. This has been one gigantic shitty rut. Not just for me. Everyone has their own version. Kinda hoping the day comes where something turns out easier than expected, rather than a big hassle. I would take just feeling a small bit of joy doing anything in life right about now because I forget what that feels like.
    You're welcome, and no worries. It's been a nightmarish year that's for sure. But take heart, spring is just around the corner..

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    You're welcome, and no worries. It's been a nightmarish year that's for sure. But take heart, spring is just around the corner..

Haha, thanks. Yea, everyone has had their own version of a craptacular year with covid. Definitely ready for it to be over... and Spring to arrive.

I did get a few more of the things I think I'll need for the pulley job.

Tools:
    Impact wrench
    35 mm socket
    Pulley puller
    Torque wrench (reinstall)
    Large screwdriver (for preventing the engine from rotating when torqueing the nut back on... I am not 100% clear on where I am sticking said large screwdriver though...)

Parts:
    Crankshaft pulley
    Crankshaft pulley nut
    New seal
    I also am going to be replacing the alternator with a new one (110 Amp version from DeLoGO/Europe) and have a new belt to go on as well
    Locktite for pulley nut (which kind or colour btw?)
    Oil/Assembly lube
    And I also have some new exhaust component gaskets on hand if they are needed upon reassembling everything I took out or off

You're welcome. I used red loctite on the nut.
    Dana

And it begins!!! Whooohoo! Call me strange, but I look at the filthy mess I now have good access to and all I can think of is how I'm going to enjoy taking my sweet time cleaning things up and doing a handful of other smaller jobs that are now a whole lot easier because of the access. If anyone ever asks what else it takes more than just money to do this hobby... this is it (cuckoo!! lol).

1.jpg2.jpg

Making more progress. The nut came off a LOT easier than I expected it to. First try with the impact gun and it spun it loose. Big difference having all that other stuff out of the way and getting directly lined up on it with a good socket and whatnot.

It's filthy back there and I should clean it better than it is so far, but hey, trying to make my car look like Dana's or Michael's isn't going to happen!

My nut isn't torqued on there yet as I still need to go grab some red loctite. I was really only thinking of test fitting everything, but considering how snug and precise the fit is for the pulley on that shaft, I don't think I want to remove it again.

Besides torqueing the nut properly which I need to remove the starter to do, I have a brand new alternator to put in, new battery cables, a new starter heatshield and a handful of other things I might do while it's apart. I have new bearings for my A/C idler pulleys and I might do that at the same time.

I think that's about it. Man, what a relief to get that nut off so easily. Relatively easy anyway. It was all in the prep work for me this time around!!

IMG_3951.jpgIMG_3953.jpgKIIW8446.jpgIMG_3956.jpgBOTK0450.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    You're welcome. I used red loctite on the nut.
    Hey Dana,

Do you recall what torque value you used on the three mounting bolts for the starter? I don't see it listed in the manual. I have the starter reinstalled, but haven't torqued down the bolts yet. Thanks.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast