FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Headliner needs replacing, in Pittsburgh area.

My VIN:    3610

Headliner needs replacing, in Pittsburgh area.

Hi, I'm in the Pittsburgh area, and I need to replace my headliner. Does anyone have any suggestions on who can do quality work on my Delorean?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you are handy at all (and have some hand tools) you can buy what you need from any of the Delorean vendors and put it in yourself. It isn't difficult.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3610

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you are handy at all (and have some hand tools) you can buy what you need from any of the Delorean vendors and put it in yourself. It isn't difficult.
    I have all the tools I need, and I have a big garage to do it in.

But I don't have the best history working with fabrics, it never turns out well and I'll hate myself when I screw up.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean3610 View Post
    I have all the tools I need, and I have a big garage to do it in.

But I don't have the best history working with fabrics, it never turns out well and I'll hate myself when I screw up.
    The vendors sell it pre-cut and bonded to the backer. All you have to do is some gluing and trimming. You may want to also replace the door seals at the same time if they are bad. If you are braver you can buy your own fabric and try cutting and gluing it to the old backer using the old fabric as a template.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The vendors sell it pre-cut and bonded to the backer. All you have to do is some gluing and trimming. You may want to also replace the door seals at the same time if they are bad. If you are braver you can buy your own fabric and try cutting and gluing it to the old backer using the old fabric as a template.
    This is what David is talking about in terms of the pre-bonded kit you want.

http://support.delorean.com/kb/a83/s...eadliners.aspx

If you still prefer to shop it out then just buy the kit and take it to any decent interior shop in your area. Make sure they understand that the fabric from the center boards that they wrap over the door flanges MUST be trimmed back so they don't end up wicking rainwater in the interior. If the old boards were installed correctly (and didn't have water-stained fabric) then just have the shop trim the new fabric same as the old fabric they removed. And hang on to the old pieces - there may be a core charge for the old clips.
    Last edited by Rich; 09-08-2017 at 06:09 PM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    02530

After much thought and research I broke down and bought the fiberglass backed ones from DMC. Had them in and glued in about an hour. Cost a little more than just recovering the old ones but the results were good with minimal effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk