FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: door roof seal 106967

door roof seal 106967

Dear friends
    Does anyone know if the door roof seal 106967 can be fitted without removing the door?
    What about the rivets inside the door frame?
    Thanks

My VIN:    3390

Yes, the seal can be put on with out taking the door off. You need a 1/8th drill bit, clear hose to put around the tortion bar and a very steady hand, there is less then 1/8 of a inch from the pop rivet to the top of the door, if you drill to fast you could and can drill right out the top of the door.

It is the hardest replacement seals to do. If you take the door off it is much easier to do. There is a link some where that has a "How To".

It took me 2 hours to replace the seals.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

You do need to remove the roof T-panel.

Be extremely careful, not only is this the hardest seal to do, the cost of failure is incredible as you can end up with out-dents or even worse, holes in the top of your doors.

Avoid drilling out the rivets, better to drill the heads off and stop. Then use a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut them off as you go, less chance of running a drill through the top of your door. Protect the torsion bar.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    3281, 6344

I've heard of people putting a rubber hose over the torsion bar. I prefer to just remove it entirely and keep it well away from the drill/dremel. Also, if you remove the strut, you can hyperextend the door so that it's straight up - this will make it easier to attack those rivets.

Travis

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by tgraham View Post
    I've heard of people putting a rubber hose over the torsion bar. I prefer to just remove it entirely and keep it well away from the drill/dremel. Also, if you remove the strut, you can hyperextend the door so that it's straight up - this will make it easier to attack those rivets.
    I use the "remove strut and cover torsion bar with hose" method. The extra few inches of opening you get with the strut out makes attacking those rivets easier.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    10353

Bringing up an old thread...

Do you really have to remove the T-panel to replace these seals? I've got the new rubber seals from DMCH that look pre-trimmed so I'd love to get those installed instead of sitting in my parts box in the garage.

And I read somewhere that instead of rivets to use machine screws to replace, any ideas of size of screw? I imagine they would need to be pretty short as well...

Has anyone tried using a dremel to shave off the top of the rivet and then gently tapping it out or is the 1/8th drill bit the tool of choice?

Thanks!

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post

Do you really have to remove the T-panel to replace these seals? I've got the new rubber seals from DMCH that look pre-trimmed so I'd love to get those installed instead of sitting in my parts box in the garage.

And I read somewhere that instead of rivets to use machine screws to replace, any ideas of size of screw? I imagine they would need to be pretty short as well...

Has anyone tried using a dremel to shave off the top of the rivet and then gently tapping it out or is the 1/8th drill bit the tool of choice?

Thanks!
    Although I'm sure someone will come forward and claim thev'e actually done this (ala Claude) please don't try this at home. The T roof needs to come off yes.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Although I'm sure someone will come forward and claim thev'e actually done this (ala Claude) please don't try this at home. The T roof needs to come off yes.
    Agreed... I tried and failed.

Chhers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Agreed... I tried and failed.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post

Thanks!
    Technically it's easier, but no, you don't have to. I replaced the seals without removing the T panel. I have pictures and detailed comments about that job in the Interior Restoration album ( page 5) in my profile.

Here's one of the pictures:

And one about the screws:

There was no way that I'll want to drill out rivets in the door again, so I opted to use stainless steel sheet metal screws. They are #8 x 3/8" pan Phillips. They worked great.

Etc... Good luck with the job.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 06-13-2018 at 07:44 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast