FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing the Catalytic Convertor

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Replacing the Catalytic Convertor

OK... It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult but I've never done anything like this before.

The workshop manual doesn't seem to address it anywher I could find.
    Is it a simple swap?
    Is there anything special I need to do or just unbolt one and put on the other?
    Anything to dress the gasket?

Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Take off the muffler. One clamp and a bunch of bolts.

Take off the four nuts holding the converter to the crossover. They will probably break but you don't care.

Clean gasket surface on crossover

Put new gasket on converter

Assembly is the reverse of the above.

Worst part, if you have to deal with it, is the heat shield.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Remove Coverter

Your DeLorean may not need a converter if your local emission control accepts your vehicle as a classic. If accepted as a classic, put a bypass pipe in place of the catalytic converter and gain substantional horse power in return. If you need a preshaped bypass pipe, let us know as we remove catalytic conveters from all DeLoreans serviced in our shop. You will notice the difference from the first moment of acceleration. Byrne

I have a new heat sheild to so I guess it's a perfect opportunity to kill two birds.

Thanks.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Take off the muffler. One clamp and a bunch of bolts.

Take off the four nuts holding the converter to the crossover. They will probably break but you don't care.

Clean gasket surface on crossover

Put new gasket on converter

Assembly is the reverse of the above.

Worst part, if you have to deal with it, is the heat shield.
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Nope - in Oregon it must be made before 1975 to not have to be tested. It does qualify for specialty plates as it's 30 years old but you are limited on driving. I get confilcting info on whether or not it has to pass emissions for these plates and I haven't gone to the DMV to try yet.

Besides, the gas fumes are really strong. While I know this won't entirely fix taht, I'm hoping it's a start.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by H&A Byrne View Post
    Your DeLorean may not need a converter if your local emission control accepts your vehicle as a classic. If accepted as a classic, put a bypass pipe in place of the catalytic converter and gain substantional horse power in return. If you need a preshaped bypass pipe, let us know as we remove catalytic conveters from all DeLoreans serviced in our shop. You will notice the difference from the first moment of acceleration. Byrne
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by H&A Byrne View Post
    Your DeLorean may not need a converter if your local emission control accepts your vehicle as a classic.
    THis will probably open a can of worms discussion but....

AFAIK it's still a federal offense EVERYWHERE for a commercial shop to remove and not replace catalytic converter regardless of age/classic etc. Might want to check on that.

In general if you remove it yourself you won't get caught as long as you don't live in California or other perpetual emission testing states, but that does not make it legal.

I don't believe that this law has changed:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...hsysrepair.pdf
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

changing the cat was the worse job on my car, the studs sheared so i now have nuts and bolts holding it, there is so little room to get a wrench in its such a nightmare.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    THis will probably open a can of worms discussion but....

AFAIK it's still a federal offense EVERYWHERE for a commercial shop to remove and not replace catalytic converter regardless of age/classic etc. Might want to check on that.

In general if you remove it yourself you won't get caught as long as you don't live in California or other perpetual emission testing states, but that does not make it legal.

I don't believe that this law has changed:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...hsysrepair.pdf
    Trailer the vehicle from the facility and the customer must sign a waiver stating the vehicle is intended for off road track use only.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

In New Jersey if it is not registered as a collector or historic vehicle it is subject to emissions testing which includes a visual inspection for the Cat. As I understand the law it is illegal to modify, tamper or render inoperative ANY emission control device. Federal law enforced by each State. Similar to messing with the odometer. Some are more strict than others. Also consider someday the car may be sold and it may wind up in a State where they are more strict about this than the one you are currently in. Or you may move to a strict State. Similar situation if you modify or tamper with any of the safety features of the car. Most shops will abide by the law, others are more willing to do what the owner wants. In the end it is the owner's responsibility. The good news is the older the car the less strict most States are. A Delorean in good running tune can run well with ALL of the emissions equipment operating. The best measure of that is keeping track of your gas mileage. If you are in the mid 20's MPG or higher you are doing OK.
    David Teitelbaum

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Steve,
    When I replaced my system, the Cat didn't want to come out so easily. Even after snapping all four studs, the Cat did not separate from the cross-over pipe. I ended up having to take a hammer and pound on it for a good 15-20 minutes. Fortunately the exhaust system isn't fragile and you aren't saving the old Cat, so you can hammer on it pretty hard. Once the rust broke loose, the Cat comes right out and you can put the new one in its place!

Good luck!
    Chris

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast