FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Refurbishing stock exhaust

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

The most frustrating thing about the old car hobby are all those impossible to reach fasteners!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I came across this thread again and wanted to provide a long term update. After four years, the condition of the POR-15 High Temp paint is still solid.You can see that the only visible rust is on the unpainted exhaust clamp. I may find a stainless steel version of that clamp.

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I came across this thread again and wanted to provide a long term update. After four years, the condition of the POR-15 High Temp paint is still solid.You can see that the only visible rust is on the unpainted exhaust clamp. I may find a stainless steel version of that clamp.

Interesting, why did you use sealant on the exhaust manifold gaskets? Those are suppose to be self sealing.

That really looks great. When I was in the aviation business, we tried all kinds of coatings. The best we found was HPC. Their highest temp ceramic coating was the only one that would work on aircraft engines. It's not very dressy but works. Air cooled engines have hotter EGTs than water cooled, so I figured I would go with them. But now that I see yours after years, I'm sold. I'll be ordering some of that stuff.

Thanks for the update.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    Interesting, why did you use sealant on the exhaust manifold gaskets? Those are suppose to be self sealing.
    Hi. A true DeLorean guru (IMO), Dave Swingle advised of that tip to help ensure a good longer lasting seal. He also was the one to confirm that the crossover pipe is stainless steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    That really looks great. When I was in the aviation business, we tried all kinds of coatings. The best we found was HPC. Their highest temp ceramic coating was the only one that would work on aircraft engines. It's not very dressy but works. Air cooled engines have hotter EGTs than water cooled, so I figured I would go with them. But now that I see yours after years, I'm sold. I'll be ordering some of that stuff.

Thanks for the update.
    Thanks for the comment! The key (as with any paint job) is the preparation. I know it says paint over rust (POR), but getting down to the bare metal and cleaning any contamination off is very important for a long lasting job, as is following the directions on curing it with heat.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Hi. A true DeLorean guru (IMO), Dave Swingle advised of that tip to help ensure a good longer lasting seal. He also was the one to confirm that the crossover pipe is stainless steel.
    Interesting, I ask because I am installing a new exhaust system at the moment and I've never applied high temp sealant on other cars that I have removed and installed headers on. I'll look into this, thanks for the explanation!

Thanks for the comment! The key (as with any paint job) is the preparation. I know it says paint over rust (POR), but getting down to the bare metal and cleaning any contamination off is very important for a long lasting job, as is following the directions on curing it with heat.
    Good advice. One more question. How did you remove the cross over. I was repairing the manifold studs and had it completely unbolted, but couldn't snake it out of there. Did you have to remove something else? (Axle or suspension parts)

My VIN:    10270

Interesting, I ask because I am installing a new exhaust system at the moment and I've never applied high temp sealant on other cars that I have removed and installed headers on. I'll look into this, thanks for the explanation!
    Something like copper "spray a gasket" is one of those things that if you don't actually need it, it's harmless. And if you did need it, you'll be glad you put it on.

I had a custom V-band adapter made for my turbo outlet. Just a little bit on the flange completely eliminated a light ticking noise. I'm sure given enough time I could have dismounted everything and ensured every surface was completely trued but this was a 5 minute fix that's been solid since 2015
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Good advice. One more question. How did you remove the cross over. I was repairing the manifold studs and had it completely unbolted, but couldn't snake it out of there. Did you have to remove something else? (Axle or suspension parts)
    Remove the passenger side CV joint and remove the cross over from there. I just did it a few days ago and it was simple.

Remove the passenger side CV joint and remove the cross over from there. I just did it a few days ago and it was simple.
    Thanks!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast