FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rear suspension, broken bolt!

Rear suspension, broken bolt!

Hi everyone!
    Yesterday I was driving my D in my neighborhood, when I heard a snap sound, on my rear wheel passenger side.
    Today when ai had a better look on what happened, I saw that the m12 bolt that connect radius arm to the chassi was broken!
    I was lucky that I was driving real slow!

Anyone ever experienced such thing?
    The problem is that the bolt is stucked into the Radius arm, I have to figure how to remove it.

Fernando Silotto. Sao Paulo - Brazil
    Delorean Vin 3772

Quote Originally Posted by madstudios View Post
    Hi everyone!
    Yesterday I was driving my D in my neighborhood, when I heard a snap sound, on my rear wheel passenger side.
    Today when ai had a better look on what happened, I saw that the m12 bolt that connect radius arm to the chassi was broken!
    I was lucky that I was driving real slow!

Anyone ever experienced such thing?
    The problem is that the bolt is stucked into the Radius arm, I have to figure how to remove it.

Delorean Vin 3772
    Just for reference, this is the bolt I'm referring

Delorean Vin 3772

My VIN:    6472

That's the infamous TAB, or Trailing Arm Bolt. The originals are weak and eventually they bend or break. It's one of those things everyone needs to check on their cars. The newer ones you can buy from the vendors are apparently much stronger. It's good you weren't travelling at high speeds.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

First a safety note as part of this job: take the time to inspect the same bolt on the other side of the car. Your best bet is to assume it is also in need of replacement/upgrade - so plan to order a pair of the Trailing Arm Bolts and replace them both. And do NOT try to use standard bolts for this important suspension connection.

For bolt removal - Some TAB removal methods are detailed here: LINK:http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1324
    Starting at about Post #5....
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

And grab yourself some.....

tab_cola.jpg

...sorry...had to....
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A well known failure point. It should be inspected at least annually. If you do not see shims (or the correct # of shims) the bolt has loosened and is bending and will eventually fail. I like to write the # of shims on each side right on the frame with magic marker. Each side can have a different # of shims. Because it is difficult to actually inspect the TAB's unless you remove the aluminum shields, they do not get inspected properly or often. Thankfully we often hear of a TAB breaking at very low speeds although it has happened, rarely, at higher speeds.
    David Teitelbaum