FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Official Binnacle Update Thread

My VIN:    1374

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    -DashEight resurrects year and a half old thread on hot button DMCH remanufactured binnacles.

-Signature states: "A can of worms doesn't open itself"

Irony.

Can't say I see this as a can of worms. Now, if I had asked how everyone "feels" about the progress of this product... I'll wait another year and a half to ask that question. Keep your can opener sharp! -Patrick
    A can of worms doesn't open itself.

Patrick Maruska Seattle WA USA.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

If the binnacles are not here by now, I think its time you just accept it....there will be no binnacles. Seriously, after the whole Solstice thing (which everyone in the know saw right through), I don't take anything from DMCH seriously.

Just write off the binnacles and forget about them, if they do happen to appear in 6 months or a year great! Better to have a nice surprise than constant disappointment every other week. My gut tells me since the cars they restore have the binnacles recovered and it looks very nice that way, there is no sense in developing the factory one.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

There is a guy in the UK attempting to make fiberglass ones as we speak:

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/vie...hp?f=14&t=4948
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Seriously, after the whole Solstice thing (which everyone in the know saw right through), I don't take anything from DMCH seriously.
    What?! They're not gonna make the DMC Solstice! Oh no!
    1-800-273-8255

My VIN:    16867

And the alternative -

Back in 2004 my binnacle cracked. I was in CA at the time and had Steger order a new binnacle from DMCH at the time. When the NOS binnacle arrived, I was very disappointed. It had pits and creases from storage that I would not accept. Steger agreed with me. I then went with his suggestion of getting the binnacle recovered in leather (black). Nine years later, it still looks great. Yes, I know you purists don't like the stitching, but I frankly do like it and I lover the fact that other than for routine cleaning, the leather requires no great protection and yet has not faded. Steger used a contractor that was a real artist. I said at the time that if I ever needed to have the dash replaced, I'd also go with his leather dash (it was beautiful). Fortunately, that has not become necessary.

I don't know if the connection that Don Steger had is still available through DMCCA, but I would highly recommend it if it is.

Dick Ryan

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Dad View Post
    Back in 2004 my binnacle cracked. I was in CA at the time and had Steger order a new binnacle from DMCH at the time. When the NOS binnacle arrived, I was very disappointed. It had pits and creases from storage that I would not accept. Steger agreed with me. I then went with his suggestion of getting the binnacle recovered in leather (black). Nine years later, it still looks great. Yes, I know you purists don't like the stitching, but I frankly do like it and I lover the fact that other than for routine cleaning, the leather requires no great protection and yet has not faded. Steger used a contractor that was a real artist. I said at the time that if I ever needed to have the dash replaced, I'd also go with his leather dash (it was beautiful). Fortunately, that has not become necessary.

I don't know if the connection that Don Steger had is still available through DMCCA, but I would highly recommend it if it is.

Dick Ryan
    I'm guessing that is the same recovering as seen in the Wheeler Dealers episode, where Mike bought his replacement binnacle from DMCCA. It does look pretty nice for recovering and visible stitching. Although I wonder if matching grey thread would be better than white/light grey?

I just captured these stills from the episode:

Derek L
    VIN 5302

binnacle

Not trying to high jack this thread just to sell something here, but looking at a lot of DMCH 's inventory of interior parts not just binnacles are in poor shape and hasn't been well taken care of. I do think that the recovered binnacle still looks good if done right but have also noticed you can still see large cracks underneath the the recovered binnacle on some cases where there is bad sun damage. I do have an extra binnacle along with some other interior parts that has been stored in a climate controlled environment and taken care of on a regular basis to prevent any damage to them and they are like new. I guess it's just a matter of what someone wants or prefers. I think they both look good especially the black.
    Last edited by Fluxat88MPH; 10-29-2013 at 02:11 PM.

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by DL4567 View Post
    Although I wonder if matching grey thread would be better than white/light grey?
    I asked about the thread color when I visited DMC-CA several months ago. Apparently they tried grey thread at first, but found that it didn't match the threads elsewhere in most interiors that have been sun bleached white over time.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    16867

Aadvantage of Black

My stitching is black. I would not have accepted white. It is visible, but very subtle.

Dick Ryan

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Dad View Post
    My stitching is black. I would not have accepted white. It is visible, but very subtle.

Dick Ryan
    We tried going with gray on our gray recovers. Also tried black and orange. For some reason it really conflicts with the gray interior if it isn't off white. But on black you can do a bunch of neat things.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast