FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hissem time machine

My VIN:    5754

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Matt is quite the fabricator. You should post a picture of your Space Capsule. . .
    Here are some pics of my life size to scale replica of the Mercury capsule. Making the time machine was quite a bit easier and took less time and was cheaper compared to making a life size capsule. You can see the capsule on the trailer to haul it around in the back ground as I was doing the chassis restoration. I had to store the capsule else where as I did the restoration work. Now both historic vehicles are parked in the same garage.
    It takes a unique person to drive a time machine on a regular basis, and I enjoy every moment of it. Prior to this kind of attention, I would transport this Mercury capsule around to events and airshows. The looks I get on the road vary slightly different from hauling a Mercury capsule and driving a time machine. People tend to be more puzzled with the capsule, where the time machine are instant smiles.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Wow, thanks for the info! I don't think you'll need to replace the LED's unless you're looking to change them. They don't "burn out" like most bulbs do, they instead get dimmer over time.

Okay, so you mounted the front ones to the side marker lights. That's what I was suspecting, but I'm actually impressed it holds the whole weight of it! Good to know actually.

Great idea with the conduit and rubber! I was expecting to have follow-up questions, but you answered pretty much all of them there. Sweet, thanks!
    Here are some pics of how I mounted the front flux band and wires around the fenders. I have already needed to get access to the LED lights due to a short in the light band. I had to drill out some rivets and wiggle around the light band and got it to work. I then placed screws in stead of rivets. Not a very hard thing to do, just annoying and inconvenient.
    I made some stainless steel clips to hold the cables on the fenders and along the bottom molding. They blend in quite well with no harm to the body.
    I used the existing screws from the sun visors to mount the ceiling switch panel. This way I didn't tamper with the door seals as the movie did. The switch panel lay out is slightly different, but that is due to what I had available to work with. I can always go back and redo or improve anything I have made.
    I do have a rear video camera mounted to the plutonium chamber with a 7in. video screen mounted to the digital display. The screen does swivel around and out of the way when people want to get a good look at the dash. The extra screen does get in the way when people look at the digital display to take pics, so it can move out of the way.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Matt
    very impressive work on your BTTF conversion and thanks for sharing. As many have said, I am in favor of reversible conversion like yours.
    I have noticed that you have a unique auto shift handle. Where did you get that and how did you put it on? Does it still lock with a shift button?
    thank you
    ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan S. View Post
    Matt
    very impressive work on your BTTF conversion and thanks for sharing. As many have said, I am in favor of reversible conversion like yours.
    I have noticed that you have a unique auto shift handle. Where did you get that and how did you put it on? Does it still lock with a shift button?
    thank you
    ryan
    The stick shift knob is a standard knob from Walmart. I had a very hard time disassembling the stick shift knob when I lifted the body off the chassis. I accidentally broke the plastic button you pull up to change gears. The shaft that moves up and down has a crimped on plastic lever that you pull up on that cant slip out from the sliding plate on the console. Right now it does not have that locking bar. It does stay firmly in place in which ever gear I am in. Out of the whole chassis rebuild, this is the only part that was broken. I think I will attempt to make a duplicate piece out of metal that will do the same job. It is a intricate complex piece to make.

My VIN:    6125

Nice work on the time machine Matt! Some of the pictures you've shared with me of your chassis restoration are pretty impressive too, like the scratch built crumple tube/frame extension you built.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Nice work on the time machine Matt! Some of the pictures you've shared with me of your chassis restoration are pretty impressive too, like the scratch built crumple tube/frame extension you built.
    Thanks, Oh yeah...that crumple section was heavily rusted out when I bought my car. I knew that I would have to deal with all the rust on the chassis. For me being a welder would not discourage me from buying the car and working on the chassis. I was more fearful of doing a good job of all the disassembly and reassembly of the car. When it came time to do the metal work, I was very comfortable in this area. Making the front piece was fairly easy. I just had to take my time in making patterns and triple checking how it all would fit together. I wouldn't know how well it would all work until the body came back on top of the chassis. The steering rack also fit perfectly. It was a very rewarding feeling when it all worked perfectly.
    Attached Images

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Your neighbors must think you are a lunatic.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Your neighbors must think you are a lunatic.
    Oh yes, anything less than a lunatic would be boring. I am finding it hard to think of projects that would top this one or at least projects that my wife would let me spend money on or take up more space to store them.
    When I did the sand blasting at my parents drive way, their neighbors did wonder and notice this strange car frame I was working on but did not know or question what it went to. Later last fall when I had the car all done, I gave their neighbors a ride in my DeLorean. They do remember me working on the frame and now understand what it was I was doing earlier on. It took several weekends to do all that sand blasting due to weather. I would load it in the back of my Tahoe and make several trips to their house. I am thankful that I could fit it in the back like that and handle it by my self. It sure was cheaper doing it my self also. I know that the neighbors across the street have been watching this car come apart and go back together and turn into a time machine. I guess it doesn't phase them much, because they haven't said a word. They all drive Chevy trucks, so DeLoreans must not suite their taste.

My VIN:    6125

It's definitely interesting to see people's reactions when everything starts getting taken apart. I can't tell you how many people thought I'd never get my car back in one piece when I was doing my own restoration. Matt, you went even further than I did with completely pulling the frame out from under the car too. It's pretty amazing how fast you were able get all that work done. When I saw that look in your eye when you started disassembling things I knew you were on a mission.

In general when people see what you're doing when restoring a DeLorean they either think you're nuts and that you'll never get the car back together, or assume you are some kind of car wizard. Throw in all the time machine stuff and that has to be a lot of interesting conversations you have with people. I've yet to put a single time machine part on my own car, but I get a taste of people's reactions here and there when I'm building props and people recognize whatever I'm making as a time machine part.

Building something like that with your own hands is one of the more rewarding things you can do. I can't give you enough credit for how creative you were with your car, especially how you were able to avoid drilling into any of the panels or fiberglass. I have seen a few other attempts but nothing quite as elaborate as what you've built.

I am in total shock! I love your Delorean, so creative and just simply brilliant! man I wish I were you.

Roads?..Where we're going we don't need..Roads!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast