FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: AC Box Removal

My VIN:    01067

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

AC Box Removal

Has anyone removed the AC box inside the car? I am about to embark on this adventure and would love a narrative of this process. I broke my lwr evap box and need to replace it. I hear this is a PITA to do!

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Here's a great writeup on just that by Alex Abdalla:

http://delorean6575revisited.blogspo...ystem-and.html

From this thread: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?76...l=1#post114689

I might have to pull my evaporator at some point as well (my R12 leaks out in 3 months, and the local shop found oil on the evaporator pipes). I've only read half of his write-up so far, but it's been very informative already.

-- Joe

My VIN:    05457

Starting on N:08:01 of the workshop manual are directions for removing the Heater/AC box. I used those directions when pulling mine out to replace the evaporator and they worked great. Not a fun project because it is burried in there, just allow enough time so you aren't rushed and remember to walk away for a bit when it gets frustrating. As always, bag and tag fasteners and other hardware. There will be a lot of it to keep track of.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    1058

I had to change my heater core and that was not fun. I ended up not using the book once the frustration kicked in and found that i could separate the box into the heater section and a/c section with it still in the car. After splitting the box i took it out in halves. It might be really easy to go after the A/C evaporator just by it self. Something to look into.

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by Ratrace427 View Post
    I had to change my heater core and that was not fun. I ended up not using the book once the frustration kicked in and found that i could separate the box into the heater section and a/c section with it still in the car. After splitting the box i took it out in halves. It might be really easy to go after the A/C evaporator just by it self. Something to look into.
    You can definitely do that and people have done it, but there are a series of screws that go around the entire heater/AC box that would have to be undone all while inside the car. The main ones that would be complicated are the ones in the rear and you'd probably have to have a special screwdriver in order to get back there. And then you'd also have to re-seal the two haves with some sort of putty while still in the car. Plus, access working in the car is tight, etc. I'd almost say it's easier to take everything out and timewise, it might roughly be close to being the same. I'm glad I ended up taking mine out. If you're that deep into a project, another couple hours wouldn't bother me.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

I replaced the heater core a few years ago after piercing the metal tubing trying to pry out the old orifice tube stuck in there. It was a pain in the ass, but just took my time as I disassembled things to get at it. I think the toughest part, as mentioned below, is getting the two halves of the plastic box apart. I remember that they were several small hex head screws (like 11 of them!) holding the two halves together, and remember being almost upside down with my head under the dash and my legs draped over the passenger seat. A couple in the back were tough to access but I bought a long wratchet extension to reach up in there. The frustation comes when you think you have all the screws out and then discover another one hiding in a corner somewhere! After installing the new core, I think there is some thick "tar-like" foam insulation to wrap around the metal tubing that penetrates though the firewall, to prevent sweating/comdensation. I took about 3 days to get the job done, trying to not get frustrated and tired with the all contortionist moves under the dash. I don't remember a lot of the details of the job because it was 3 or 4 years ago (or that I'm trying to block out the experience!).

Good luck, just take your time and keep track of parts and order of disassembly.

Paul
    VIN 10944

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    You can definitely do that and people have done it, but there are a series of screws that go around the entire heater/AC box that would have to be undone all while inside the car. The main ones that would be complicated are the ones in the rear and you'd probably have to have a special screwdriver in order to get back there. And then you'd also have to re-seal the two haves with some sort of putty while still in the car. Plus, access working in the car is tight, etc. I'd almost say it's easier to take everything out and timewise, it might roughly be close to being the same. I'm glad I ended up taking mine out. If you're that deep into a project, another couple hours wouldn't bother me.