FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0 Conversion step by step

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Alex

PRVs in the states are limited to the D and the Eagle Premier (which is a rebadged Renault) 3.0. There isn't the same range of turbo'd PRVs that Renault used in Europe over the years.

As Josh mentioned, it is probably the most straightforward engine swap, particularly for someone with a bad/missing original engine.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Club(s):   (DCF)

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Well it is a better engine, thanks to 10 years of updates and improvements. MUCH better F/I system, serpentine belt, and the internals can handle more power. Im sure there are more benefits but those are the big ones. The avalability in N/A is good, as the cars were manufactured here (in canada actually )

For me it was a lazy swap. I needed a new engine and did not want to waste my time with the stock engine and the primitive fuel injection (dont get me wrong it was good in its day). I found the 3.0 for $200 and it bolted right in. If I didnt have the whole rest of the car to redo and could just focus on the engine I would have done something completely different. But I do not have the time/money to do that right now. So the 3.0 is a great middle ground.
    I've never heard it described as "bolted right in".

From what I understand, you have to swap the lower crank case and come up with a new fuel injection / spark management system like megasquirt, and add a crankshaft position sensor of some sort, because the stock 3.0 position sensor won't fit with the delorean transmission.

Am I mistaken?

What did you use for managing the fuel/spark?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    I've never heard it described as "bolted right in".

From what I understand, you have to swap the lower crank case and come up with a new fuel injection / spark management system like megasquirt, and add a crankshaft position sensor of some sort, because the stock 3.0 position sensor won't fit with the delorean transmission.

Am I mistaken?

What did you use for managing the fuel/spark?
    I am saying it bolts in compared to anyother swap that requires custom mounts and trans adapter plates. with the loose 2.8 lower crank case, it can be installed on the 3.0 in an evening, not a very big job but you need to have the right tools (angular torque wrench)

You are correct with your understandings.

I have not gotten to electrics but I am planning on using MS2. An edis-6 ignition setup will also be used to eliminate the distributor. Like you mentioned, a 36-1 trigger wheel will be adapted to the crank pulley. When I get around to making that I will make sure it is available if anyone wants the same setup.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    02613

Could the Eagle Premier ECU be used in lieu of MegaSquirt, or are they all assumed to be unusable after sitting in a junkyard for so many years?
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Could the Eagle Premier ECU be used in lieu of MegaSquirt, or are they all assumed to be unusable after sitting in a junkyard for so many years?
    Yes it could but the trigger wheel needs to be removed to the flex plate and attached to the flywheel. The transmission bellhousing needs to be modified for clearance and the CPS mounted. Also since the lower casing is switched the knock sensor is not present so that would have to be refitted. Protodelorean tried this and could not get the car to fire.

I thought about this method but there is so so so much support for MS and it allows for so much flexibility and customization.

Say you do get it running, you are using an ancient computer from a lesser known car with no support. You have a rats nest of wiring and it is a pain to troubleshoot the frankensystem.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    02613

Whoo! Nice shootin' Tex! But can I post a couple of follow-up targets?

Yes it could but the trigger wheel needs to be removed to the flex plate and attached to the flywheel.
    ...if you're swapping on a manual. What about an automatic? The flexplate is the same. Does that mean more or less work?

you are using an ancient computer from a lesser known car with no support. You have a rats nest of wiring and it is a pain to troubleshoot the frankensystem.
    Ah, a lesser-known car with no support. So, kind of like a DeLorean with K-Jet?

The Premier/Monaco ECU sends trouble codes. And you can buy Eagle Premier repair manuals online. I don't know how much that would cost compared to MegaSquirt. If it were me, I'd at least try the stock ECU, especially if it came with the engine or could be had for a few bucks more -- and, if it didn't work, cough up for MegaSquirt. But that's just me.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Whoo! Nice shootin' Tex! But can I post a couple of follow-up targets?

...if you're swapping on a manual. What about an automatic? The flexplate is the same. Does that mean more or less work?

Ah, a lesser-known car with no support. So, kind of like a DeLorean with K-Jet?

The Premier/Monaco ECU sends trouble codes. And you can buy Eagle Premier repair manuals online. I don't know how much that would cost compared to MegaSquirt. If it were me, I'd at least try the stock ECU, especially if it came with the engine or could be had for a few bucks more -- and, if it didn't work, cough up for MegaSquirt. But that's just me.
    I am not familiar with the delorean auto trans, nor do I ever have any intent to be familiar with it. So I cannot answer that question :P

That is true! However people do not take the same liking and pride to their eagles / monacos (1988-1992) as us owners do with our deloreans. I challenge you to go find a wiring diagram on google for the eagle. You can find one for the delorean in about a minute. No such luck with the eagle. The knowledgebase is not there. I know that was a small example in the scheme of things but it proves a point

I am budgeting 1500 for my megasuirt setup. The actual megasquirt specific parts are $800, and the res of the money will be spent on sensors, mounts, fuses, relays, etc.
    Some people may prefer to stick with stock. But I like to muck with things and hopefully add a turbo one day. All the egr systems have been removed from my engine as well. No chance you can do that with a stock ecu.

My opinion is if you are going to do the swap why waste your time making it run off of 20+ year old electronics. The wiring would take similar amounts of time, as everything still has to be gone through and integrated into the deorean fuse box and harnesses. And as for diagnostics I would much prefer plugging in my laptop and having ful live readouts of every sensor, air and fuel maps, etc instead of a one or two line generic code.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Are there part numbers available for the megasquirt needed?

Quote Originally Posted by SProfita View Post
    Are there part numbers available for the megasquirt needed?
    Im selling my megasquirt ecu if you are interested. Its a small part of the puzzle but a key component. MS2 3.57. I just sold off most of the components I used in my 3.0 swap.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast