FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to remove rear fascia

My VIN:    2964

How to remove rear fascia

I'm in the process of removing the rear fascia.

I am trying to figure out which bolts/screws I have to remove? I removed, taillights and license plate cover.

So far I removed the top 9 screws where the engine covers closes, BTW what size are they so I can buy new ones? Also 2 bolts, one on each side, on each end of bumper.

Pictures and step by step will definitely help!

Thank you!!
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

No one has removed their fascias??

My VIN:    06960

Usually when people remove their fascias they do it as a whole rear assembly. For that, it's simple. 4 big bolts at the rear of the engine bay. The 8 small nuts under the muffler, one nut/bolt (don't remember which) on each side on the lower rear rockers, then finally the wiring harness. You only need to pull a taillight if someone didn't install the power antenna properly.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Usually when people remove their fascias they do it as a whole rear assembly. For that, it's simple. 4 big bolts at the rear of the engine bay. The 8 small nuts under the muffler, one nut/bolt (don't remember which) on each side on the lower rear rockers, then finally the wiring harness. You only need to pull a taillight if someone didn't install the power antenna properly.
    I bet that on 90% of the cars there is one added nut/bolt through the facia support to the pontoon with the nut on the inside (on each side). You need to remove the tail lights for access, and then the carbon can and intake pipe to get to the nut. It's much too common to be a single dealer doing this.

I recall seeing something years ago that this was a factory/QAC fix to pull the fascia up tighter to the quarter panel, but I've never been able to find that document again. James?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I bet that on 90% of the cars there is one added nut/bolt through the facia support to the pontoon with the nut on the inside (on each side). You need to remove the tail lights for access, and then the carbon can and intake pipe to get to the nut. It's much too common to be a single dealer doing this.

I recall seeing something years ago that this was a factory/QAC fix to pull the fascia up tighter to the quarter panel, but I've never been able to find that document again. James?

The taillights have been removed already as well as carbon can and intake pipe. I already removed those nuts and bolts.

@dmc6960 Power antenna is in front pass. fender.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    I'm doing whole rear assembly. Cleaning, painting.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    No one has removed their fascias??
    Dont be so impatient, lol.

I have 3 on each side of my car going from the fascia support through the pontoon (for a total of 6). I always wondered if they were required. I've heard people say they have 2, 1, and some have none. I actually recently installed rivet-nuts into the pontoon so that I didn't have to go inside the pontoon to remove the nuts on the inside. Makes it a lot easier to remove the fascia, especially with my current intake. They're probably not actually needed but at this point, why not. They're simple enough to install and remove.
    C9B52AA7-7517-4ED0-AAA5-EE09477ED982-2970-000003B8DC1A9453.jpg

I take my fascia off pretty regularly for good engine access. I have it down to a quick science.
    2E7A49F8-CBE2-4831-92F6-6A5794221252-2970-000003B8D1873F8A.jpg

I use a small 3/8 battery powered impact gun and can usually have it off in about 20 min.

-Remove engine cover latch plate
    -Disconnect latch cable
    -Remove side markers and disconnect bulb wires (N7 screws)
    -Remove coil cover and disconnect black bulkhead connector
    -Remove all the nuts from the studs in the fascia going through the muffler heat shield (in my case these are bolts and nuts) (M6 bolts/nuts)
    -Remove nuts connecting fascia to the fenders down low (these are also bolts and nuts for me) (M6 bolts/nuts)
    -Remove Taillights (M5 bolts)
    -Remove any bolts going through fascia support piece into the pontoon (may require removal of carbon canister and intake hose) (usually M6 bolts)
    -Remove bolts going to fascia mounting L brackets (M8 bolts)

Lift up and away!

Do not remove those top 9 screws, there is no point unless you want to separate the fascia itself from the fiberglass support piece. Either way, always take the support piece and fascia off together, then separate the two after they're out of the car.
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 05-17-2013 at 01:26 AM.

My VIN:    06960

Well now I'm curious about my own fascia alignment. I'm certain I've never had to pull my taillights when doing this previously. In fact, I even have a picture of my rear assembly in one piece on the floor of my garage when I had my engine removed...

parts.jpg

Taillights still in place. Just call me part of the elite 10%.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Dont be so impatient, lol.

I have 3 on each side of my car going from the fascia support through the pontoon (for a total of 6). I always wondered if they were required. I've heard people say they have 2, 1, and some have none. I actually recently installed rivet-nuts into the pontoon so that I didn't have to go inside the pontoon to remove the nuts on the inside. Makes it a lot easier to remove the fascia, especially with my current intake. They're probably not actually needed but at this point, why not. They're simple enough to install and remove.
    C9B52AA7-7517-4ED0-AAA5-EE09477ED982-2970-000003B8DC1A9453.jpg

I take my fascia off pretty regularly for good engine access. I have it down to a quick science.
    2E7A49F8-CBE2-4831-92F6-6A5794221252-2970-000003B8D1873F8A.jpg

I use a small 3/8 battery powered impact gun and can usually have it off in about 20 min.

-Remove engine cover latch plate
    -Disconnect latch cable
    -Remove side markers and disconnect bulb wires (N7 screws)
    -Remove coil cover and disconnect black bulkhead connector
    -Remove all the nuts from the studs in the fascia going through the muffler heat shield (in my case these are bolts and nuts) (M6 bolts/nuts)
    -Remove nuts connecting fascia to the fenders down low (these are also bolts and nuts for me) (M6 bolts/nuts)
    -Remove Taillights (M5 bolts)
    -Remove any bolts going through fascia support piece into the pontoon (may require removal of carbon canister and intake hose) (usually M6 bolts)
    -Remove bolts going to fascia mounting L brackets (M8 bolts)

Lift up and away!

Do not remove those top 9 screws, there is no point unless you want to separate the fascia itself from the fiberglass support piece. Either way, always take the support piece and fascia off together, then separate the two after they're out of the car.
    Cool! Thanx!! I should have remembered to ask you, you do it on a regular basis. lol

So I removed everything quick!!

Thank you guys!!

Now, on to the front fascia!