FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lifetime steering bushing

Lifetime steering bushing

Hello.
    I installed the DeLoreanGo urethane bushing last night. I installed it without cutting by sliding the steering shaft back into the column. The bushing popped in with no resistance and is spinning with the shaft so I anticipate it not lasting too long. Maybe my bushing hole is worn but it seemed perfectly round and there's no scoring on the shaft. Maybe this particular bushing runs on the small size as it's intended to be cut open and installed with the shaft in situ per the manufacturers suggestion.

Anyway. Looking at the bushing design and the problem I'm going to fabricate the following:

- PEEK tophat bushing-
    - ID to provide clearance for steering shaft
    - OD to match my firewall opening
    - Circlip groove on smaller OD of top hat
    - PEEK retention washer for outside of firewall to be held in place by circlip

PEEK is wear and creep resistant, and tolerant of lubrication without swelling or breaking down. I figure it might be a lifetime part. I'll report back when I get it turned and installed. Just curious if anyone else has tried to fabricate a similar component.

Best,
    Ken
    1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Ive installed the DG bushing in two cars. Both were a very tight fit. I had to press it in with a bolt and a socket.

It is likely the hole is worn in your car.

The upgraded steering column bushings have a very long life, much longer than the original design. I am concerned you are trying to solve a problem that does not need solving.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

DeLorean Club UK DeLoreanGo Arran's Avatar

My VIN:    1764

Club(s):   (DCH)

We do a Delrin version too - https://www.deloreango.com/us/delore...n-bushing.html - Delrin being similar to PEEK in how it would function in this application, and designed to last a lifetime. But it does sound like your hole is perhaps too big. All of these bushings take considerable force to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by gluaisrothaii View Post
    Hello.
    I installed the DeLoreanGo urethane bushing last night. I installed it without cutting by sliding the steering shaft back into the column. The bushing popped in with no resistance and is spinning with the shaft so I anticipate it not lasting too long. Maybe my bushing hole is worn but it seemed perfectly round and there's no scoring on the shaft. Maybe this particular bushing runs on the small size as it's intended to be cut open and installed with the shaft in situ per the manufacturers suggestion.

Anyway. Looking at the bushing design and the problem I'm going to fabricate the following:

- PEEK tophat bushing-
    - ID to provide clearance for steering shaft
    - OD to match my firewall opening
    - Circlip groove on smaller OD of top hat
    - PEEK retention washer for outside of firewall to be held in place by circlip

PEEK is wear and creep resistant, and tolerant of lubrication without swelling or breaking down. I figure it might be a lifetime part. I'll report back when I get it turned and installed. Just curious if anyone else has tried to fabricate a similar component.

Best,
    Ken
    I would be tempted to try out a flanged bearing like this if the hole in the fiberglass has been enlarged:

https://www.mcmaster.com/flanged-bearings

My VIN:    4519

I've installed a bushing on two different cars, both were a tight fit like Josh mentioned his was.

I agree...sound like the hole is larger.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If the bushing fits loosely the hole is enlarged. The fix is to enlarge the hole more, make a plate with the correct size hole and then fasten it to the firewall. The rubber bushing is easy to fit into the hole but they don't last. The hard plastic ones will last a long time but they are difficult to install. I made up a puller out of pipe nipples, large washers and threaded rod. Because of the angle the steering shaft goes through the bushing you have to file the bushing so the shaft fits through easily. The flanged bearing blocks really aren't the right solution.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    ...the hole is enlarged.... enlarge the hole more.....is easy to fit into the hole.....hard ... will last a long time ...puller... nipples.... large... rod....shaft goes through...the shaft fits through easily....the right solution.
    Edited for clarity and maximum eroticism.
    Last edited by Mark D; 10-17-2019 at 02:14 PM.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I am very proud of you

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    4519

If the bushing fits loosely the hole is enlarged. The fix is to enlarge the hole more, make a plate with the correct size hole and then fasten it to the firewall. The rubber bushing is easy to fit into the hole but they don't last. The hard plastic ones will last a long time but they are difficult to install. I made up a puller out of pipe nipples, large washers and threaded rod. Because of the angle the steering shaft goes through the bushing you have to file the bushing so the shaft fits through easily. The flanged bearing blocks really aren't the right solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    ...the hole is enlarged.... enlarge the hole more.....is easy to fit into the hole.....hard ... will last a long time ...puller... nipples.... large... rod....shaft goes through...the shaft fits through easily....the right solution.
    David....your language, sir!

Ron will send you over to the Thug Forum if this continues!

Thanks David. Do you know the original nominal ID of the bushing hole?

Best,
    Ken
    1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast