FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Windshield wiper skip and squeals

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Windshield wiper skip and squeals

I never drive my car in the rain so I wasn't surprised when I needed my wiper recently and they were "bee bop and scat'n" all over the place.

I replaced them with my favourite Bosch wipers since they were 7 years old, but I only had a slight improvement.

Any way I can get rid of this skip? Are the springs toast?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

as a cheap and easy thing to do, you could wax your window to give the wipers a slicker surface. I do this to help the water bead off. Rain X works similarly.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

I was just down in the garage and there does seem to be a rough surface to the windshield. I have auto glym car polish and wax, or even diamond cut 85, but that might be a bit much. It does seem like it needs a polish though. Think that would work josh?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    07000

Just get some RainX like Josh mentioned, and then you'll really not need to use your wipers at all - unless it's a super heavy downpour. I used that on my 63 VW bus that had no wipers at all, and it worked great, even in heavy rain.

My VIN:    4877

Rain-x ....or... drive fast enough that you create a high pressure zone around the car and the rain never hits
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Rain-x ....or... drive fast enough that you create a high pressure zone around the car and the rain never hits
    I also like Rain X but if you want to use the wipers you must remove ALL the wax on the windscreen. Wax is what makes it skip and bounce. If you have a rough area on the glass you can try polishing it out. Eastwood (eastwood.com) has a kit to polish glass. Griot's Garage also has one.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6125

From my experience Rain X does a good job of stopping wiper skip. It doesn't last long though if your windshield is dirty or has a gritty feel to it. I've used a clay bar on my windshield to give it a much smoother feel and help the Rain X work better. If you've got scratches or pitting you could also try the products mentioned in this thread:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...strated-4.html

My daily driver's windshield is pretty rough so I've been meaning to try out polishing it. From what I've read it can make a huge difference.

For the wiper skip you're talking about though I'm thinking clay bar will probably do the trick to get the windshield nice and smooth again. On my DeLorean there was a bunch of tree sap and black grime that came out using the clay.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    I was just down in the garage and there does seem to be a rough surface to the windshield. I have auto glym car polish and wax, or even diamond cut 85, but that might be a bit much. It does seem like it needs a polish though. Think that would work josh?
    Gotta do it the old fashioned way... Karate Kid style.

Polish with a decent cut to it to get rid of the crud (claybar works too but is more expensive), then a half decent wax to seal it up and give a nice smooth surface. Youll notice a big difference right after the polish/claybar.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    4877

When I got my car, it had sat for years..the windows were pretty built up ....i used windex which did some good...but then used Invisible Glass and that seemed to make it all clean n shiny.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon