FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another weird lightswitch gremlin

My VIN:    10907

Another weird lightswitch gremlin

On my way to Chicago, pulling off in Cheyenne at sunset. I've driven about 450 miles today. When I turned on my lights, the left turn signal indicator lit up. The signal wasn't actually on AFAICT. Further investigation while parked revealed that it was actually happening when I put the parking lights on as well, and the front driver's side and rear passenger side yellow lights weren't lighting up. I checked the 2 and 8 fuses and they looked fine. Anybody have any ideas?

If I can't fix it it's not the end of the world b/c I've got plenty of time to get there only driving during daylight, but this isn't a sign that my electrical system is about to catch on fire, is it?

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Turn signals work normally?

I wouldnt think its an indicator of a big boom coming (could be wrong)..I'd be more concerned if it was flickering/dimming, etc when you turned the lights on.

If you can check the light sockets and bulbs for corrosion, could be a bad socket causing a short...I have to replace one of mine because its making my indicators fail intermittently.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Rear ambers should NOT be ON with park/taillights.

Left turn indicator ON steady with park light. Is a sign the left front bulb is not seated properly in the socket , corroded or the spring in the socket has collapsed/broken.

A Very common condition with Old Cars.

A Quick fix for Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Looking at it again this morning, the turn signals are working normally, but the left front and right rear side lights don't come on. I took them out and tried to make sure the bulb part was all the way in, but it didn't help. Another DeLorean-friend suggested it was a bad ground wire. I didn't see anything obviously loose or dangling so I'm probably just going to have Mike sort it out.

While I was poking around I also discovered that my engine cover release isn't working. It was fine yesterday too, arrgh...

Another weird lightswitch gremlin

If you mean side markers, each one has independent ground points. Mike will sort it out though. What else are you having them work on?

Kind of a long drive for an Oil Change.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    If you mean side markers, each one has independent ground points. Mike will sort it out though. What else are you having them work on?

Kind of a long drive for an Oil Change.
    Yeah I think so, the skinny lights on the sides by the bumpers?

I was originally just going to get the rear shocks looked at because it rides rougher than I'm hearing it's supposed to, but it's still starting rough on cold starts so I'm going to have them prioritize that, and now this electrical weirdness. Mostly I wanted an excuse to drop it off there so I could pick it up and drive to Philly and back without having to take a month off work at a time. I would have waited until next year to make such an ambitious trip but due to my employer's failure to plan for a staffing shortage they've known was coming for 30 years. I'm not sure I'll be able to get this much time off for the next few years, and I really wanted to show the car to my uncle who's 86.

One small victory, at least I figured out how to open the cover (it was too tight against the fascia on the left side so I just had to pop it loose with a screwdriver). Something else for the project list...

Well, when I went to demonstrate this at MW, it didn't do it. But a couple of the side markers were out (one of them came back on when thumped) and when they took the bulbs out one of them was damaged and another one was just kind of flimsily put together so when they changed out all the bulbs and put some dielectric grease in the sockets everything appeared to be hunky-dory. One gremlin successfully apprehended (hopefully)!

Do you still have the left turn indicator issue?

DENNIS

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Next up.... windsheild wipers will come on with the lightswitch
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Do you still have the left turn indicator issue?
    No, that one went away on its own sometime between last night and when I got here. I did drive with the lights on for probably 10-20 miles last night and it was still doing it then so idk...

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Next up.... windsheild wipers will come on with the lightswitch
    Ssshhhh, don't give it any ideas, lol...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast