FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: PRV V6 Cargument - Jalopnik

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    While the performance of the PRV is not going to impress, if you want to talk about racing then you must include handling. Not straight-line acceleration as in drag strip but autocross and track. Now some of the other attributes can be appreciated because of it's Lotus heritage. Often what a car lacks in one respect can be compensated for in other ways. So while you won't overpower anyone in a straightaway, you can overtake them in the corners. If you want to really see what a PRV is like try driving the automatic! The when you drive the 5-speed you will see how much better it is!
    LOL, are you serious? The DeLorean is floppier than a wet noodle. It's basically a cheap rip-off of the Esprit, and the Esprit wasn't great to begin with.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    3937

I think our "standard definitions" need to be based on a well maintained car and not those with problems.

This goes for automatics vs manuals, stock PRV's and upgraded stage 1 or 2 cars, and also for the steering/suspension and handling.

Personally I think too many poor opinions come from guys who have driving experiences in cars that aren't in good condition. That's especially true of the slagging on automatics, and the handling too. We seem to perpetuate that misinformation internally as badly as the outsiders perpetuate the coke jokes stuff.

There is no modern comparison for performance with our cars because they aren't modern. Guys come up to me at shows asking if it is fast and I'll tell them it would get beat by a new Civic. Then I'll also mention you could go buy a Countach from the 80s for $400k and get beat by a new Accord.

These aren't apples to apples comparisons. This is more like comparing an apple to the shopping cart you're using while at the grocery store. They aren't the same.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

^ +1. I have also driven DeLoreans that were not running their best, fuel system problems, vacuum leaks, etc. and it definitely has an impact on performance. It’s not fair to judge the whole fleet on these examples.

I remember passing an Acura sedan on a toll road at 75 mph while accelerating, and the surprised look on the driver’s face was priceless. I think I dispelled a myth in his mind. Not bad for a bone stock car.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 08-04-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Nothing witty here lest it offend

After you have been K-liberated and the necessary exhaust fixes, there's not much to complain about.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Personally I think too many poor opinions come from guys who have driving experiences in cars that aren't in good condition. That's especially true of the slagging on automatics, and the handling too. We seem to perpetuate that misinformation internally as badly as the outsiders perpetuate the coke jokes stuff.
    I'm sorry, but I could not disagree more. I have driven more DeLoreans than I can count, ranging from bad shape to stellar, near mint shape, and I have been around these cars for nearly fifteen years. I have spent a lot of time driving other sports cars from that same era, and the DeLorean simply does not hold up to them (Esprits, Corvettes, 911s, Ferrari 308, etc) in either power or handling terms. Frankly, I wonder what basis of comparison the folks that claim DeLoreans have good handling/power are using.

I think it is important to be honest about DeLoreans. I love mine to death, and have spent far more time and money on it than any other car I've ever owned. But the reality is that they are not anything more than average for a car of that era.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

A DeLorean in top running condition has the ability to fall out of a tree*

*tree branch must be pointing toward ground

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    I'm sorry, but I could not disagree more. I have driven more DeLoreans than I can count, ranging from bad shape to stellar, near mint shape, and I have been around these cars for nearly fifteen years. I have spent a lot of time driving other sports cars from that same era, and the DeLorean simply does not hold up to them (Esprits, Corvettes, 911s, Ferrari 308, etc) in either power or handling terms. Frankly, I wonder what basis of comparison the folks that claim DeLoreans have good handling/power are using.

I think it is important to be honest about DeLoreans. I love mine to death, and have spent far more time and money on it than any other car I've ever owned. But the reality is that they are not anything more than average for a car of that era.
    I'm good with that, Mike. You definitely have way more experience than I do with driving comparable cars. I haven't even sat in some of the cars you mentioned much less driven them.

It is all about the comparables though, isn't it? With most things we talk about or ask about. Even something like "how are you?" or "how was your day?" Compared to what? Compared to yesterday? Compared to that guy over there? You know what I mean. If someone asks if you're tall or not, you might say yes or no, but you compare yourself to something. Hang out with a bunch of basketball players, then probably no. Hang out with midgets, then probably yes. Ask someone how tall are you, though, and it's a different question and different answer.

If Joe Car Show asks me if it is fast or if it handles well, I tell him not really for the fast part and pretty well for the handling part. Both subjective answers comparing my car to something else I'm familiar with. If buddy asks what kind of time it gets in a 0-60 race, I don't have much to tell him because I don't know. That's the answer that would tell people whether it is fast or not, but most of the guys I talk to can't relate that to something they know or feel. And I've never had someone ask that before.

Most of the time I answers people's questions, it's subjectively. Ball park stuff, comparisons, touchy feely answers. Guy asks me if I'm tall and I say yes. Absolute answer is I'm 6'3". The comparative answer is I can't fit in a couple of those cars you rhymed off

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

The traction control system in the DeLorean is more than suited to reeling in the excess power the PRV makes. Not once when leaving from a stop at full throttle has my car even offered to spin the tires before the set of complex algorithms takes over and settles it back into place almost before I know anything is even wrong. Catching the dreded upshift dogleg is a piece of cake. As I shift into second bracing my hands against the wheel for the violent yaw shift, the TCS wrangles her back on point in the blink of an eye. The PRV may be a monster of a PITA in the DMC12, but JZD's TCS is AOK.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The traction control system in the DeLorean is more than suited to reeling in the excess power the PRV makes. Not once when leaving from a stop at full throttle has my car even offered to spin the tires before the set of complex algorithms takes over and settles it back into place almost before I know anything is even wrong. Catching the dreded upshift dogleg is a piece of cake. As I shift into second bracing my hands against the wheel for the violent yaw shift, the TCS wrangles her back on point in the blink of an eye. The PRV may be a monster of a PITA in the DMC12, but JZD's TCS is AOK.
    My tires are 10 years old so I ain't tryna yaw dogleg no piece of cake

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Thankfully, there's no danger in breaking the rear end loose.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3