FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Preparing to sell my Delorean, but had questions on the Title (or lack there of)

Preparing to sell my Delorean, but had questions on the Title (or lack there of)

This is probably a more general question the Delorean specific, but since Deloreans are all the same age I figured someone may also have run into this:

In the State of Maine, a car 1994 or older is exempt from needing a Title to register, only a Bill of Sale. More so, when asking if they would issue a title I was told no.

When I bought my car last year, the seller (second owner) included all previous paperwork with it, including a sign Vermont title from the 1st owner to him when he bought it.
    He wasn't required to give this to the state in 2001 to register it due to the laws at the time, the same laws I followed when I bought the car from him.

I know States handle Titles different and some require all cars to have their title in order to register it.
    Have other people ran into this issue either buying or selling their cars?
    The car is registered currently and if I sell the car in my home state this won't be an issue, but I am thinking the Delorean market is a wider group and it will be a possibility of selling it to someone out of state.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Most States require Titles to own and register a car. The best thing to do is call or go to your State MV office and find out how to get a Title in your name so you can sell the car with a legit Title.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Most States require Titles to own and register a car. The best thing to do is call or go to your State MV office and find out how to get a Title in your name so you can sell the car with a legit Title.
    Thank you David, I was thinking it was possible that the clerks at my local city hall were either mistaken or didn't want to deal with me when I originally registered it. I did checking on the Maine DMV website before posting here and a few places simple state that 1994 or older are title exempt, so was thinking this was a common trend in some states.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

According to your state's DMV site, among the different types of titles they'll issue, three of them are "Warranty" (which is likely the one you'd seek), "Classic" (vehicle over 16 but less than 26 years old) and "Antique" (vehicle over 25 years old) so that to me would mean you should be able to get a title. There are stipulations for these titles as far as use and obviously age so it is best to call as already stated. Link for reference: https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/titles/titletypes.html

When I lived in New York, older classic cars were bought and sold on transferable registrations and were not issued titles. I am not sure if this changed since then but I had no problem titling in Florida from a New York transferable registration and bill of sale.
    Last edited by dn010; 10-18-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Some States have different Titles for classic, historic, etc. Here in New Jersey there are just Titles. The do subclassify like salvage, flood, etc but every car needs a Title to be registered. Each State has it's requirements, in NY if a car is older than a certain amount you just need a registration and a Bill of Sale but if you are selling your car you cannot know what State the car will be owned in so the safest thing is to try to get it Titled. Your problem as I see it is the 2nd owner never Titled it so you have a "Skip Title" as it is known because you skipped an owner. To fix it you must get the Title you have and "sell" it to the previous owner from the 1st owner so he can get a Title and then "sell" it to you. That works if you can still find the 2nd owner and he is cooperative. If not there is often a procedure, if you have a legit Bill of Sale, you go to a Notary and you do the paperwork. Having a Title will make the vehicle more valuable and easier to sell so it is worth the trouble. This all starts with going to your State DMV and finding out what hoops they want you do jump through. Because this is not a regular kind of thing that isn't done often you may not find this on any website and only certain people at the State DMV will know what you need to do. You may need to ask for a supervisor. Take all of your paperwork (including the insurance card) with you and a tracing of the VIN and several photographs will probably be a good idea. Include photos of the speedo mileage and the VIN tags.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeterman View Post
    Thank you David, I was thinking it was possible that the clerks at my local city hall were either mistaken or didn't want to deal with me when I originally registered it. I did checking on the Maine DMV website before posting here and a few places simple state that 1994 or older are title exempt, so was thinking this was a common trend in some states.
    You are fine with what you have. Don't worry about a title or the "old paperwork". All other states will understand that the car is from Maine and they will take the bill of sale and your registration as the paperwork that they will need to issue a title to the person who is buying the car from you in their state.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Georgia is the same - no title over 25 years.

I bought mine locally on a bill of sale and registration and all I got back was the registration.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Because this is not a regular kind of thing that isn't done often you may not find this on any website and only certain people at the State DMV will know what you need to do. You may need to ask for a supervisor. Take all of your paperwork (including the insurance card) with you and a tracing of the VIN and several photographs will probably be a good idea. Include photos of the speedo mileage and the VIN tags.
    My current plan is to take some time tomorrow from work and visit one of the larger DMVs in my area, bring all paperwork and documents I have from the car's life, and present it to them for my options. Ideally I would like something like a Classic Title or Antique Title. But the worst case is the Selling Market would shrink if I can't get a title and the car just might take longer to sell/find the right buyer. Thank you for the input though on this, its been helpful as the DMV and State laws are confusing.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Georgia is the same - no title over 25 years.
    Actually, in Georgia, titles are:
    Not required for 1962 or older.

Optional for 1963-1985 year model vehicle if:
    -You have a title issued in your name;
    -The owner on the front of the title has assigned the title to you;
    -The owner on the front of the title has assigned the title to a dealer and the dealer has assigned the title to you.

Required for 1986 up.

=============

Sounds like the warranty title is the way to go.
    If no luck, a lot of states will accept what you have (take all paperwork including insurance as previously stated above).
    Another option is to tell the buyer that you have all of the required paper work needed for a Title Guaranty Company to issue title insurance. I've done this in several states ($150-$200).

My VIN:    2706

Not an issue . Alabama doesnt title classics older then a certain year . My 70 Chevy was not issued a title in alabama . As soon as I registered in Ny. Ny issued a title.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast