FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: GOOD/POSITIVE DeLorean stories

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

GOOD/POSITIVE DeLorean stories

It's not as busy as the stupid comment thread, but it's time to start a thread of good or positive encounters. This was on the old forum known as "What are your BEST DeLorean stories"

I was out on yet another Saturday night drive. I usually wander aimlessly around town, listening to whatever music suits me at the time, occasionally heading to one of the other towns 'close' by (an hour or more).

Tonight on my travels, I went down a dead-end residential road along the lakefront, and circled back at the park at the end.

Along my way back, I see a family of four in front of their house, at the edge of the road. As I get closer, I move over to give them safe berth, and they all hold out a thumb like they're hitchhiking. It's the mother and father, and their two kids. They're about the same age as my kids (5-8 ). I can't resist, and pull over.

Turns out they were leaving DQ right when I drove by, and followed me along, right to their house. Knowing I would have to come back that way, they went to the road to wait for me.

So, I open the doors, and give them the tour of the car, right at the side of the road. (It's limited traffic, low speed, and everybody knows each other along this road.) The kids sat in the car, asked all sorts of questions, and couldn't get over the doors. They also liked the two-seater configuration, since they'd have to sit up front, even at their age. (Most kids these days are stuck in the rear seats)

When I was underhood, I picked out a couple Hot Wheels and gave them to the kids. This totally made their night. The mother told me that the fact I stopped made their night. They were both surprised to hear the car is local, and has been around for three years. Apparently I'm never out and around where they are, and I've driven roughly 10k miles each year!

The kids and parents thanked me for stopping (and the 5 year old held his hand out for me to shake it - priceless!) and I went on my way, reminding them to look down when they're out in traffic; I may be there.

Over my last 3 years of ownership, I've had people flash their high beams at me at night to make me pull over to talk, try to block me in a parking space to talk, or linger around me and the car during shows, making it hard to talk to other people. I've even had a person in another vehicle almost cause two collisions trying to "direct" me while driving along a highway so they could take pictures. This random encounter was probably the best one I've had so far.

Canon20DFan

Made a guy's birthday special

BLOG_150.jpgBLOG_149.jpg
    There is a local guy who has always admired Deloreans. His wife, for his 30th birthday, contacted our best known local Delorean owner, Dan H. Props to the Ohio Delorean Club, I think she contacted them first and they bounced her to Dan. In any case, she asked if Dan could surprise her husband and show up to her house driving his Delorean. Dan told all the Colorado owners he could, and 5 of us showed up in a Delorean parade. Dan even got a Delorean model to give the guy, and let him drive his car. This totally made this guy's birthday, and I always thought his wife was very thoughtful to do that for him...

My VIN:    4534

My very first D experience was before I even bought the car. I was at the bank getting it inspected for the loan. A truckload of young kids were sitting one space over and were trying to figure out what kind of car they were looking at. The lady asked to see the odometer and I knew what reaction the kids were going to have. I lifted the door up and all you heard was 'THE DOORS GO UP!' along with laughter from their mom. The loan officer didn't have a clue what she was looking at but those kids made my day.

That's my favorite part of owning this car. I've been on the looking end and every time I saw a Delorean I was a little kid again falling for the D's unique look and charm. Knowing that this car is doing that for other people makes my day.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I was over at my insurance broker the other day. It was sunny out and apparently I parked in such a way as to bounce the sun light off the hood and directly into the window of a business a few floors up.

This particular woman tried looking out her window but said it was making her blind, so she came down to the parking lot, with guns blazing thinking she'd find a mirror or something. Instead she finds my car. Full 180! She was a car enthusiast too and we talked about DeLoreans and Triumphs for 30 minutes before she and about 10 other people remembered they were suppose to be inside working.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

At a cruise in in Davis, a woman in her 50's came up to me as i was explaining some of the cars features to a couple of guys. she says:

Her "Wow, just wow, that is incredible amount of work you've done to this car, did you do it all yourself?"

Me "Yes i do all the work on my cars, but what are you referring to in particular?"

her " well everything, the bare metal, the custom front end, and the doors, those are super custom! i dont think ive see a car this customized ever!'

Me " Actually its nearly completely stock i just lowered it and upgraded some things"

her: "Bullshit they never made cars like this, then who built it?"

Me: "its a 1981 Delorean, thats stainless steel."

her " no your putting me on, this is a one of a kind custom i know it"

i attempt to give her bttf refences and such and still he was unconvinced, even when i grabbed the dealer brochure that i had on display in the driver seat, she accused me of fabricating the booklet too until she looked at it closely and finally was convinced.

wierd

DeLorean Owner, Missouri jmrydholm's Avatar

My VIN:    10715

I went to my credit union last week after getting my car back this month. First time I had ever really driven it anywhere in a while. There was a lady in the drive-thru that opened her door and said how great it was to see one (even though mine looks pretty shabby at the moment.) I told her that it's not the greatest car in the world and has its fair share of 30-year old problems. Lots of effort, care, and cash is needed to upkeep one of these, but she said, "It's worth it though, isn't it?" I looked over at my fiancee in the passenger seat and said, "As long as she lets me keep it!" It's nice to hear positive comments from both my future wife and a total stranger.

Then I drove through town and wowed a bunch of little kids who were pointing at it and grinning from ear to ear, so that was fun. I love kids' reactions to it.

My VIN:    7075

Well, this was a while ago and a very good experience to me.
    A guy with a BMW came next to me, while waiting for the red light.
    - He started to watch me and race the engine. I did the same. (I can do this too)
    - Then he started to play that he starts and then stops the car. I did the same. (I can do this too)
    - Then he again started to race the engine. Then I opened the door. (Let's try something different)

- He watched me a bit and left quietly on the green light.

Canon20DFan

Hahaha

That's a good one...

Quote Originally Posted by Sidaries View Post
    - He started to watch me and race the engine. I did the same. (I can do this too)
    - Then he started to play that he starts and then stops the car. I did the same. (I can do this too)
    - Then he again started to race the engine. Then I opened the door. (Let's try something different)

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

I have found that I have become pessimistic about what people are going to do/say when they come up to me when I'm driving the DeLorean. I dug up this old thread to try and get myself thinking positively about people again. Since we still have no snow on the roads, I've been lucky enough to keep driving my car every weekend. It seems like it garners a lot more attention right now than it did in the summer. Maybe it's because the car show season long ago ended and you don't see any cool cars on the road this time of year.

Anyway, besides all of the thumbs-up, smiling, pictures (while they are driving) and pointing that I get, I like it when people are just floored that they are seeing a DeLorean for the first time. I pulled up at Costco yesterday to fill up and the gas station attendant stared at me as I pulled in. After I got out and started the transaction, he came over and asked if he could take a picture of my car. Then he said that he couldn't believe that he was seeing a real DeLorean in person, and that was that.

I'm the type of guy that appreciates a nice, but brief interaction about the car. I've found that usually the longer the conversation, the more I am bothered by what is said. This one just made me appreciate my car. I hope to have more positive experiences that I can post about because I'm heading over to the "stupid comment" thread right now to add in another one of those.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sidaries View Post

I swear, I laughed hard at that one. He's like, "Yeah, can your car do what mine can?" *you open the door* *he got sussed* (something from Conker)

He may have a fast car but its doors can't go up. XD
    Last edited by Karin; 12-29-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast