FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Two Rescued Deloreans from a long hibernation

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

After looking at the pix a little more I realized whoever did the turbo install did it much differently than either the BAE or Island installs. Both the BAE and Island did "Pull-Through", ie, the turbo is AFTER the mixture unit. On this car the turbo is BEFORE the mixture unit and pushes pressurized air INTO the mixture unit after going through what looks like an intercooler on the left pontoon. Also looks like a cruise control unit and B/A on the left side in front of the intercooler. On the right side looks like some kind of control unit and a coolant recovery bottle. Under the front the whole front crumple zone is missing. Because the motor had a turbo on it you must suspect that it may have blown the pistons. A compression test (if it even turns over) will tell you. As for the auto trans, that turbo probably flogged it. Pull the pan and see how much friction debris is there. Let's add it up
    Damaged body
    Frame missing front crumple zone
    Possible blown motor
    Possible ruined auto trans
    All glass gone
    Not much to work with if you want to fix this one up. I say use it as a parts car to get the other one going and sell what's left.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

The bottle you refer to is probably a water (or alcohol if he was really adventurous) resivoir for the injection system.

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    After looking at the pix a little more I realized whoever did the turbo install did it much differently than either the BAE or Island installs. Both the BAE and Island did "Pull-Through", ie, the turbo is AFTER the mixture unit. On this car the turbo is BEFORE the mixture unit and pushes pressurized air INTO the mixture unit
    The blow-through routing is one of the few check marks in the "Good" column for this "design". Assuming it collected more than a few hundred miles anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The bottle you refer to is probably a water (or alcohol if he was really adventurous) resivoir for the injection system.
    They probably used blue windshield solvent. Its usually around 20% methanol, as cheap as distilled water, and won't freeze. Not as much tuning required vs a hotter mixture of 50/50 meth/water.

Keeping it it atomized upwards through an intercooler the stock intake, now that I'd like to see.

I would love to post-mortem this engine. It would be like The Thing when they bring in the burned up Norwegian station creature.
    Last edited by FABombjoy; 03-07-2017 at 03:42 PM.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You could be right, that could be for the Water/Meth injection and not a recovery bottle. Still has the plastic header tank too. Or maybe he did use the windshield washer tank! Because the car has low mileage the motor and trans may still be OK. Must have been a wild ride! It is rare that a Delorean rolls over. Usually happens by hitting a curb sideways so you have to check all 4 wheels and the suspension for damage. I guess the inertia switch and roll-over valve worked, no fire!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

BHCC would sell the turbo car as a $10,000.00 project car...Perhaps they could combine it with the roll cage baja DeLorean :-)
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Think I found the turbo origins. The intake looks very similar
    SmartSelectImage_2017-03-08-07-56-37.jpg
    SmartSelectImage_2017-03-08-07-59-45.jpg

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Funny how that popped up on facebook just after this thread started

Here are the attachments for those with normal eyesight

DMC Only
    Saugus CA
    Attached Images
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

This seems to have been marketed by a Harry Ward, who contributed a few articles to DeLorean World back in the 80s. His car starred in Vol 4, Issue 4 with the same turbo arrangement and the picturs in the above ad are the same car as in the DW article. However I don't believe 10903 is his actual car, unfortunately.

He was reported as being DOA member #17 ! and that HL Ward Machine Products made aerospace parts for the Space Shuttle and the B1 bomber

Maybe Dave S or Rich W know who he is/was and where his car might be.

Performance figures from the article:

7lbs boost
    Calculated HP - 200HP
    0-60 measured at 6.7 seconds
    Top speed (actual) 140
    Last edited by Dangermouse; 03-08-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    4519

I'm totally going to buy that & put it on my car.

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    This seems to have been marketed by a Harry Ward, who contributed a few articles to DeLorean World back in the 80s. His car starred in Vol 4, Issue 4 with the same turbo arrangement and the picturs in the above ad are the same car as in the DW article.
    If only we could buy the DW backissues as PDF. Would make finding these sorts of treasures easy!

I'm curious about the ducting for the intercooler. Service-wise it seems like kind of a nightmare position to mount it.

It looks a little better with the proper metering head adapter. Would be neat to see what this kit is supposed to look like when installed.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast