FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Carburetor Troubles... Car is Completely Useless

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

avec les meilleures intentions

It looks like DeLoreanGirl's shift point cable is on the wrong side of the throttle shaft pivot. This cable must be pulled toward the rear of the car as the throttle cable is pulled toward the front. If both cables are on the same side of the throttle shaft pivot, the shift cable will just get slacker as the throttle cable pulls toward the front of the car.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    It looks like DeLoreanGirl's shift point cable is on the wrong side of the throttle shaft pivot. This cable must be pulled toward the rear of the car as the throttle cable is pulled toward the front. If both cables are on the same side of the throttle shaft pivot, the shift cable will just get slacker as the throttle cable pulls toward the front of the car.
    You sure? The pic that Ron fixed looks to be a reflection of the original image...

As per the picture you provided, it seems the setup is correct, but WAY out of adjustment.
    image.jpg
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    You sure?
    No.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    You sure? The pic that Ron fixed looks to be a reflection of the original image...

As per the picture you provided, it seems the setup is correct, but WAY out of adjustment.
    Yeah, her's was upside down and I flipped it to look at it...Fixed.
    Kind of hard to adjust it correctly while sitting on a bench

Seriously tho, I think Farrar might be right (hard to see), i.e the throttle has to attach above the center of the throttle shaft and the shift cable below it.
    It doesn't look like that carb has a good place for it, but it's relatively easy to fix. Maybe some kind soul with an OEM automatic could offer up the travel length...

My VIN:    03572

It does look like the linkage is a problem but we need to know more about what the problem really is. Why fix the linkage if the carb needs to be replaced.

I think most of us are willing to help you get your D running. If I lived closer I would spend a day with whoever needs the help. I'm no expert on carbs but have worked on many engines that used them. I'm assuming it did run correctly at one time so the manifold would not have a design problem.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Carburetor Troubles... Car is Completely Useless

The trans shift cable is definitely on the same side of the throttle plate pivot shaft as the throttle cable.

DeloreanGirl needs to post another direct side shot photo so we can see if that carb bellcrank even has a lower attach point to connect the cable too.

Given how loose the throttle and trans cable are.

I would move the throttle cable clevis to where the trans cable is attached.

The trans cable needs to be checked at the transmission to see if it is even connected to the Governor. It is way too slack given its extended attachment location.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 10-29-2017 at 06:30 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    ... but we need to know more about what the problem really is. Why fix the linkage if the carb needs to be replaced.
    I took it to be ok??

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanGirl View Post
    When I got it, the car ran rough. I took it to a shop and they said they rebuilt the carburetor. It runs better now, but it won't shift gears.
    x

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I took it to be ok??

x
    Missed that. So maybe it is just the linkage causing it not to shift.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Maybe. I'm betting it all comes down to the bracket, and maybe a good place (below the shaft) for the shift cable.

+1 on level side pic.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    (below the shaft)

huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze