FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warning: Houston doesn't list whether parts are backordered on their website......

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Warning: Houston doesn't list whether parts are backordered on their website......

I bought a bunch of parts from Delorean.com in January. They've yet to arrive...every time I call or email them, I'm told that they are "a few weeks away".

The parts I ordered STILL show as being available/in stock on their website.

I'm...more than a little frustrated.

I'm told that they will be delivered in "a few more weeks". I will update this post if/when they show up.

To Houston - if you don't have something in stock, at least mention on the website that it isn't in stock, and don't allow people to order it!

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

What parts are backordered that you purchased?
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    What parts are backordered that you purchased?
    "performance shocks".

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    "performance shocks".
    Have you called DMCMW to see if they are in stock? If so, I would buy them from there and cancel the DMCH order.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Get Matt David's or DPI if DMCH won't follow through.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Not a self styled 'Guru'

In this day and age showing live stock levels isn't difficult, and allows buyers to make an informed decision to if they wish to wait for a particular part to come back into stock.

The DeLoreanGo store shows live stock levels for all parts that are listed.

They have 3 different sets of shocks to choose from, all with free shipping.

https://www.deloreango.com/us/catalo...sult/?q=Shocks
    Last edited by MikeWard; 09-17-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

My VIN:    4087

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    In this day and age showing live stock levels isn't difficult, and allows buyers to make an informed decision to if they wish to wait for a particular part to come back into stock.

The DeLoreanGo store shows live stock levels for all parts that are listed.

They have 3 different sets of shocks to choose from, all with free shipping.

https://www.deloreango.com/us/catalo...sult/?q=Shocks

X2! 9 months on is taking the piss.

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

Actually, the shocks arrived today. These are made in the UK and between the supplier's summer shutdown and two Hurricanes, shipping was delayed on a couple of different fronts.

The issue is that unlike an internet only parts seller - we take and fulfill orders via phone, email, walk-ins, supply retail customers (owners and independent shops) and our dealers. Finally, we also have a service department - currently with 40+ DeLoreans in for service. When our e-commerce and inventory management/order fulfillment systems were put in place in 2007 (!) there wasn't a cost-effective method (based on the size of our company) to interface the "offline" system with the "online" system. Solutions that have been presented to do so at this time are still very kludgy based on our legacy systems.

Unlike any other internet-based DeLorean parts sellers we have more than 3,500 different part numbers in a 40,000 square foot warehouse in total quantities that exceed 3,000,000 individual parts. Not a couple hundred parts/part numbers in the spare room or basement of our home.

Faster moving items are sometimes out of stock for a few days to a few weeks based on supplier lead times. Slower moving or DeLorean-specific items can take longer based on the fact that no DeLorean parts seller is ANY supplier's best customer. In many cases, we are fortunate that suppliers are even willing to deal in these low volume parts.

In the former, where faster moving items are temporarily out of stock, we leave it as showing "in stock" in order to give us a chance to contact the customer and explain the delay and then give them to option to cancel or accept a slower delivery time.

In the latter, where DeLorean-specific slower moving items are out of stock, we will *almost* always mark it as unavailable, as sometimes we may have a refurbished or "take-off" part that we can offer them that will suit their immediate need.

Sometimes regardless of how well we plan in order to avoid being out of stock based on historical sales levels, if a supplier has to find a place in their schedule to put our "small run" of parts, that may increase their lead time based on their other, larger, customers needs. A good example is the supplier from whom we just purchased 2,000 window switches (their minimum order!) - they had to fit us around their summer shutdown and find a small enough hole in their production schedule to change out the tooling for this small run of components.

Lastly, the service department here will take parts from inventory to put on a car - these parts become part of a "work in progress" that doesn't affect inventory levels until the complete job is invoiced. If a restoration takes 2-4 months or longer, that can really throw inventory counts out of whack, as well.

Earlier this year we entered into an agreement with a new software provider that tightly integrates "online" and "offline" orders with a new inventory management and order fulfillment solution. It also introduces a new solution for the 'work in progress" problem just discussed. This has great promise to resolve these issues that you describe as "live" inventory levels - potentially for Texas and other dealers - will be represented on the site. There are many other new features that we'll be rolling out as part of this including a "rewards" program that will be of interest to many, I expect.

The timeline for this roll-out was originally October 1st. The first warehouse-wide inventory of all the parts since literally 1983 (!) is underway now and that has delayed this implementation. If the final testing runs too much closer to November (and the holiday shopping season) we will push back the implementation until the first of the year 2018.

Please feel free to call (800-872-3621) or email me ([email protected]) with questions.

Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    I bought a bunch of parts from Delorean.com in January. They've yet to arrive...every time I call or email them, I'm told that they are "a few weeks away".

The parts I ordered STILL show as being available/in stock on their website.

I'm...more than a little frustrated.

I'm told that they will be delivered in "a few more weeks". I will update this post if/when they show up.

To Houston - if you don't have something in stock, at least mention on the website that it isn't in stock, and don't allow people to order it!
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

Cliff,

I did some more research into this - I handle purchasing and I know shocks have not been out of stock for 9 months.

You placed an order in January for several items, including outer door seals and the aforementioned shocks.

You were advised that outer door seals and shocks were temporarily out of stock and the were given the option to accept delivery of the other items, which you accepted.

We were re-tooling the outer door seals with our supplier to take advantage of a recently discovered original DMC engineering drawing of an improved design that came after the factory receivership and therefore were never produced. We liked the look of the design and decided it to put it into production as a DMC exclusive part.

I don't have the email chain in front of me, but when the shocks arrived, the seals were still not ready. There was an agreement between you and Crystal to wait and ship when the seals came in. Unfortunately, by the time the seals came in, the shocks were again out of stock. That said, knowing when the seals did arrive, I don't doubt that there was a brief window in which your order was not fulfilled as it should have been - we had some turnover in our shipping/warehouse staff between April and June - that certainly was a contributing factor here.

Regardless, you have a valid gripe that your order has taken way too long. Another feature of this software implementation is automatic notifications to our order picking team when components arrive to complete partial orders. I sincerely apologize for the delay and have authorized that shipping charges for shocks and outer door seals be waived, and I've also refunded the cost of the door seals from your order.
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

All,

DMC Houston has taken care of this. They are shipping the parts today.

Now all I have to do is find time to install them!

Thanks for the responses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast