FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Bringing back the BF Goodrich Radial TA in a 195/60/14

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    To me, it makes the most sense to campaign for the return of the front tire size of the BF Goodrich for multiple reasons:

1. The rear size for DeLoreans is still in production
    2. These tires give those who want it a raised white letters option (think BTTF folks)
    3. Radial T/A's are primarily marketed towards classic vehicles, which tend to implement smaller wheel sizes (14" & 15"). So it would be advantageous for BF Goodrich to bring them back for other marques benefit as well
    4. The sidewall design is clean and non-flashy, allowing the rest of the car to be the main event
    5. The retro tread design is period-correct looking for the DeLorean

Yes, the Michelin Pilots were the best tires ever made for these cars, but the likelihood of getting them reproduced in the stock DeLorean sizes is pretty much nil.
    Louie is correct. I suppose we could also try to convince Cooper Tire to bring back the Cobra in 195/60R14 as well, since those are geared toward classic cars too.

Here's the response i got from Michelin:

We apologize but the tire has been discontinued and is no longer available.

I have forwarded your requests to the marketing group and maybe they will consider your request for the 2 sizes you need for your 1981 DeLorean in the future.

Please feel free to contact us at the number below regarding these tires or with any other questions you may have.

We hope that your issue has been resolved or addressed to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 866-866-6605 (toll-free) between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. EST Monday through Friday or between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. EST on Saturday.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

Sincerely,
    John
    Consumer Care Department
    Certified Michelin Product Expert
    It was worth a shot.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

I just sent the following email to Cooper Tires:

Hello. I'm the owner of a 1981 DeLorean and am in the market for some new tires. Unfortunately, Cooper Tires no longer manufactures matching tires to fit my car, but the company did very recently. The stock sizes for the DeLorean are 195/60R14 for the front and 235/60R15 for the rear.

While the stock rear size is currently still in production, is there any possibility you could bring back the 195/60R14 size to the Cobra Radial G/T line? If so, I know myself and the thousands of other DeLorean owners would be very excited. As it stands now, there are no tire companies offering matched sets of the front and rear sizes. If your company could consider this opportunity, Cooper Tires would be the number one tire supplier for this market and help ensure that owners of these unique cars are able to continue driving and enjoying them!

Thanks and I look forward to an opportunity to purchase from you in the future.
    Anyone who wishes to do the same can do so here: http://us.coopertire.com/Customer-Care/Contact-Us.aspx
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I just sent the following email to Cooper Tires:

Anyone who wishes to do the same can do so here: http://us.coopertire.com/Customer-Care/Contact-Us.aspx

Sent!
    Last edited by Mark D; 02-10-2017 at 02:52 PM.

My VIN:    4941

For the love of Pete.....use the 205 70 14....It fits fine!! Look at my photo.

Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post
    For the love of Pete.....use the 205 70 14....It fits fine!! Look at my photo.
    Here's a screenshot of the available tire sizes from Cooper Tire's website. The 205s are no longer made, either.
    Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 9.00.37 AM.jpg

Is your car lowered, by chance? It's kind of hard to tell with a picture the size of a postage stamp. No offense, but most owners would like to stay with the stock sizes and have a matched set not just for symmetry but also speedo accuracy. Of course, this has been well documented in this thread already.
    Last edited by Morpheus; 02-11-2017 at 09:08 AM.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Here's a screenshot of the available tire sizes from Cooper Tire's website. The 205s are no longer made, either.
    Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 9.00.37 AM.jpg

Is your car lowered, by chance? It's kind of hard to tell with a picture the size of a postage stamp. No offense, but most owners would like to stay with the stock sizes and have a matched set not just for symmetry but also speedo accuracy. Of course, this has been well documented in this thread already.
    I am using bf Goodrich radial ta's
    The difference between the stock tire size and the 205/ 70 is miniscule. BTW-My car is not lowered (unless I have a full tank of gas)

Quote Originally Posted by mizemaze View Post
    Any news about the tires?

I have 255/60-15 tires at back. Good condition Cooper Cobra G/T.

At front I have 195/60-14 Kumho regular tires.

These were on it when I bought the car few months ago.

I really need to do something with them!

While BF Goodrich is not making the size 205/60-14 does anyone have a photo with 205/70-14 in front? And if there is what should be the size at the back?

My car is not lowered, stock height...
    I do.

The difference between the stock tire size and the 205/ 70 is miniscule.

Whoh hold up a second. The 205/70R14's are over 2" larger in diameter than the stock 195/60R14's. That's enough to rub a fender or at least contact the anti roll bar at full cramp.

The next size up Radial TA that is available is actually the 215/60R14. Still not ideal, but better than the 70 aspect ratio tire. The width may still be an issue with rubbing fenders.
    Last edited by Mark D; 02-12-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Whoh hold up a second. The 205/70R14's are over 2" larger in diameter than the stock 195/60R14's. That's enough to rub a fender or at least contact the anti roll bar at full cramp.

The next size up Radial TA that is available is actually the 215/60R14. Still not ideal, but better than the 70 aspect ratio tire. The width may still be an issue with rubbing fenders.
    I am sorry .... you are correct-
    my front tires are indeed 215/60/14. (I forgot) town faire tire ibm#26999. bf Goodrich radial ta. rwl.
    (don't forget that you need to cut size differences in half...)
    -Charlie

I am sorry .... you are correct-
    my front tires are indeed 215/60/14. (I forgot) town faire tire ibm#26999. bf Goodrich radial ta. rwl.
    (don't forget that you need to cut size differences in half...)
    -Charlie
    Do you have more photos you can share of your car with the 215/60/14's? It's the size I think most would be considering for the front if going with the BFG radial TA's.

Any close up photos or measured clearance to the fenders or anti roll bar with the wheels turned all the way would be helpful... I know you said your car isn't lowered...do you have any rubbing issues at all with the current setup?

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast