FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Where to get 3.0L engine bearings and oil pump?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Plastigauge is used on the rod and main bearings to determine tolerances. You lay a piece across the bearing and install the cap and torque to spec. Then you remove the bearing cap and measure the width of the flattened plastigauge with a calipers to determine if the bearing clearance is within specs.
    Rob Grady
    If Rob wasn't burning the midnight oil, I think he might of said-
    The journal diameter and a formula is used to determine tolerances (supplied by the engine manufacturer).
    For a typical street car:
    Cmin = 0.0005 x D
    Cmax = 0.001 x D
    D = actual journal diameter

You lay a piece across the journal, install the cap (or housing) and torque to specs. Then you remove the cap and match the width of the flattened plastigauge to one of a series of marks on the printed calibrated scale supplied. The clearance indicated by the matching mark must be within Cmin and CMax.

=======

Miking, or mic'ing, is simply using a micrometer to measure the diameter of the journals. The measurements must be within specs (also supplied by the manufacturer). If the journals are large or used, it is very important to measure each one in several places...

HAVE FUN!

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Plastigauge is used on the rod and main bearings to determine tolerances. You lay a piece across the bearing and install the cap and torque to spec. Then you remove the bearing cap and measure the width of the flattened plastigauge with a calipers to determine if the bearing clearance is within specs.
    Rob Grady
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    If Rob wasn't burning the midnight oil, I think he might of said-
    The journal diameter and a formula is used to determine tolerances (supplied by the engine manufacturer).
    For a typical street car:
    Cmin = 0.0005 x D
    Cmax = 0.001 x D
    D = actual journal diameter

You lay a piece across the journal, install the cap (or housing) and torque to specs. Then you remove the cap and match the width of the flattened plastigauge to one of a series of marks on the printed calibrated scale supplied. The clearance indicated by the matching mark must be within Cmin and CMax.

=======

Miking, or mic'ing, is simply using a micrometer to measure the diameter of the journals. The measurements must be within specs (also supplied by the manufacturer). If the journals are large or used, it is very important to measure each one in several places...

HAVE FUN!
    Much more eloquent and accurate. So much oil...so little time. Carry on!
    Rob

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Much more eloquent and accurate. So much oil...so little time. Carry on!
    Rob

Too many irons....Need another fire.

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Took me a while, but I'm reporting back!

Main bearing swap (2.8L bearings to the 3.0L crank) went well. My friend was able to slide the bearings in without having to completely pull the crank, and everything went together without a problem. Plastigauge with the new bearings showed the clearance to be dead in the middle of what it should be. As others mentioned, The 2.8L connecting rod bearings are definitely not compatible with the 3.0L rods, so we used the existing bearings, but they appeared to be in better shape than the crank bearings, and again showed good clearances with Plastigauge.

I'm now using the correct oil pump, and the engine appears to be delivering oil as expected. I never could get the oil sender to work properly; the 3.0L sender just causes the DMC gauge to peg to vertical, and there isn't enough room to install the DMC one in it's place on the driver's side of the engine (it's the bigger of the two DMC senders, right?). I'm planning on removing the 32mm plug blocking the port on the other side of the engine and installing it there, just because it would be nice to have a proper oil pressure reading again.

Now back to tuning, and figuring out why the header temps aren't consistent, and why one of my cats was glowing, but I've started another thread for that.

Thanks everyone!

-- Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2