FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which transmission?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I can honestly say, I didn't see that one coming.
    -----Dan B.

The Subaru community regards the 5 speed as made of glass. Not sure why anyone would want to 'upgrade' to that transmission.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by white out View Post
    The Subaru community regards the 5 speed as made of glass. Not sure why anyone would want to 'upgrade' to that transmission.
    Maybe because it is cheap?
    David Teitelbaum

i guess ill just keep an eye out for a prv transmission on here.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    Thats great, thanks for your input. Seeing as porsche trans are floating around 3k on ebay, i guess a stock trans would probably be my best bet. What would i be looking to spend on one? And why did you decide to not use stock with your LS? Im not looking for anything over 200hp btw. I just want to have a running daily.
    i guess ill just keep an eye out for a prv transmission on here.
    I'm totally confused; why are you thinking you're going to need to buy a renault gearbox on its own? If the transmission is such a key part of this plan you're hatching, why cant you just be sure that whatever car you buy is a manual? The majority of cars had manual transmissions anyway so it shouldnt be that hard.

Yes i understand. However the first step is to decide what engine and trans are accessible to me because i plan on making a frame from scratch and it would benefit me to know what drivetrain i need to fabricate for.
    What?? I'm not even sure what to ask at this point. What is wrong with the original frame? And you've repeatedly said you dont want to spend a lot of money, yet you want to spend the time and money building a custom frame? Nothing about this plan is adding up.

Do you have a line on a DeLorean body somewhere that has no chassis at all that you're hoping to turn into a car? Because that's about the only possible explanation I can think of. Even still, you'd be better off using original parts, especially if your target is a drivetrain with 200hp. I've put down 424hp at the rear wheels with my original (and unmodified) framed car with a modified original gearbox connected to my LS1. I'm in the territory where I should really be considering using a porsche gearbox, but even still, I have had no issue pulling full throttle on the dyno.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by white out View Post
    This video comes to mind:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    This video comes to mind:
    I know that for some people, tinkering is their hobby. They are perfectly content spending hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to “improve” their cars. I am so glad I find none of that interesting. I much prefer driving my car, however “slow” it may be.

My VIN:    6125

Even if you're not into tinkering with your own car it's still entertaining to watch. Mighty Car Mods has been one of my favorite youtube channels for about 10 years now. Speaking of subaru gearbox explosions...

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Maybe because it is cheap?
    Its not cheap when you need to rebuild it with $1900 worth of parts not including seals and labor.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    2823

I Haven't read EVERYTHING in the thread bc I'm lazy like that but, I have a 915 in mine and if you're mating it to the stock PRV, it will easily handle it however, I don't know of anyone who makes a bellhousing for a Porsche/Volvo setup so you'd have to more than likely custom make that. If you're looking to do a engine swap, the Chevy 4.3 and 915 are a good reliable combo and you can find bellhousings. If you're wanting to go LSx I would recommend looking at the G50 instead of the 915. You can also find bellhousings for this swap as well. ALL that to say, without any other info, my suggestion is go with a Porsche transaxle.
    81 DeLorean w 4.3 Chevy Vortec engine mated to Porsche 915 transaxle

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast