FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Mechanics in ATL

formerly known as Buckshot

My VIN:    Currently 10231 Formerly 3991

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Recommended Mechanics in ATL

Anyone with any recommendations for a reputable mechanic with Delorean experience? A guy named Sal (who currently works at Hennessey Lexus of Gwinnett) and was a mechanic that worked on Deloreans when they were sold new at Spring Toyota in the '80s, recommended Zen Motors in Buford.

I've spoken to the guys at Zen Motors on the phone and they were very professional and confident in their abilities although they have yet to work on a Delorean. Before I commit to scheduling and arranging the work (and before being the first Delorean they see), I was curious if anyone in the ATL had other advice. The specific work I'm looking to have done is fuel system related. New pump, accumulator, clean the tank....

Cheers,
    Chris

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Quote Originally Posted by Chris3991 View Post
    Anyone with any recommendations for a reputable mechanic with Delorean experience? A guy named Sal (who currently works at Hennessey Lexus of Gwinnett) and was a mechanic that worked on Deloreans when they were sold new at Spring Toyota in the '80s, recommended Zen Motors in Buford.

I've spoken to the guys at Zen Motors on the phone and they were very professional and confident in their abilities although they have yet to work on a Delorean. Before I commit to scheduling and arranging the work (and before being the first Delorean they see), I was curious if anyone in the ATL had other advice. The specific work I'm looking to have done is fuel system related. New pump, accumulator, clean the tank....

Cheers,
    Chris
    I'd ask around for a reliable volvo mechanic. Some old school Porsche mechanics may also be familiar with K-Jet.

Are you bringing a sitting car back to life?

My VIN:    5302

I can recommend a good general mechanic in Suwanee. I've had things like wheel bearings, balancing, and A/C charging done on my DeLorean there and they are very careful and do good work. It's a small shop owned and run by 2 guys, and they do all the work themselves. I know Suwanee is far from you, so let me know if you're interested.

Whatever you do, don't take it to American Resto Mods in Buford.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

My VIN:    3028

If they have never seen a DeLorean before you are asking for trouble. There is no way a regular mechanic will be able to tackle the quirkiness . Factor what it will cost in extra hours for them to experiment, the chance of them fucking it up. For example changing the fuel filter seems pretty straight forward, but if you over crank and snap those hard lines, you are in big trouble and suddenly you are facing a big repair. I would either invite some experienced owners over, and pay them in beer (or whatever) or drive or truck it down to dmcfl.

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Years ago there was a man called "DMC Joe" in Atlanta. He would make house calls in the southeast and had a shop in the Atl area. Maybe someone you know could locate him. Good luck.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

DmcJoe has been out of the business for a few years now.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    3757

Ok,

Cleaning the gas tank, and replacing the fuel pump with the new combo unit is EASY... Anyone can do it.... The accumulator you need some skill and short wrenches... The fuel filter, fuel distributor, and injectors are also needing attention my guess.... So the Volvo trained may be best if you can't get it to a DMC.

My VIN:    5311

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
    Ok,

Cleaning the gas tank, and replacing the fuel pump with the new combo unit is EASY... Anyone can do it.... The accumulator you need some skill and short wrenches... The fuel filter, fuel distributor, and injectors are also needing attention my guess.... So the Volvo trained may be best if you can't get it to a DMC.
    I will agree that replacing the pump is very easy, but cleaning the tank is kind of a bitch to do. It's possible for a newbie (I did it), but I won't go so far as to say the cleaning process is anything short of a pain in the ass.

The pump swap however is dead easy.
    - Chris

what

formerly known as Buckshot

My VIN:    Currently 10231 Formerly 3991

From what I've read on this forum, seen on a youtube demo video, and the instructions Dave from DMC Midwest sent me, the fuel pump swap doesn't seem to be too bad. The challenges I foresee are: removing the tank for cleaning and having access to a lift for the accumulator. This is where having the right tools and a lift can make or break the entire project. What would take a properly equipped shop a day to accomplish, would take me weeks in my garage. Since every shop typically has all the necessary tools, the variable is the experience with working on Deloreans.

Nullset- the car is in running order. It has had some fuel system work done in the past but it appears the install was incorrect. The pump and lines are not original. The specific issues I'm trying to alleviate in addition to just updating the system are: it takes several attempts to start, especially when its warmed up already, an overwhelming fuel smell inside and outside of the vehicle partially (or completely) due to the missing fuel pump cap (this can also lead to water in the tank if it runs down then windshield), and an inoperative fuel gauge.

The benefits of a complete fuel system overhaul from cleaning the tank, updating the components, to replacing the fuel distributor are monumental. Since the car is in great condition otherwise, this is my main focus right now.

Anyone going to Bonita Springs or Crystal Lake anytime soon??

Cheers.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

FWIW, you don't take the tank out to clean it. It is done in-situ. Everything in and around the tank is pretty accessible.

I'm told that the accumulator can be reached through the access panel under the ashtray, though I have never done that.

You could do the rest and leave the accumulator til last and then do it if needed or when the opportunity for a lift appeared.

Just a though
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast