FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: New ball joint boots

New ball joint boots

I'm putting new boots on the steering ball joints. Some metal washers came off as I disassembled the right hand side (see photos):

P7226271.jpg
    Here is the disassembled right ball joint.

P7226276.jpg
    Here are the parts removed from the ball joint. Notice the metal washers.

P7226284.jpg
    New boots.

P7226264.jpg
    Here is a photo of the left ball joint just after I popped it out. Have not removed anything. Again notice the washer and remains of original boot.

The new boots didn't come with any washers. Obviously I need to reuse the original wound spring retainer to secure the bottom of the boot. Do I need to reuse any of the metal washers? It looks like the new boots don't need them.

Thanks for your help.
    Ron

My VIN:    03500

Having the tie rod end open to the environment like that should just be replaced. If they were still sealed I would go for it.

Now I see your point that you would like to save money and time but it could mean you're life.

Dave B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If the joint is not worn, loose, filled with dirt, dry. or rusty, it should be OK. Pack it with grease and you don't need the washers or the spring.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Having the tie rod end open to the environment like that should just be replaced. If they were still sealed I would go for it.

Now I see your point that you would like to save money and time but it could mean you're life.

Dave B.
    +1
    From the pics, it looks like it may not have been not sealed...

Did you check them for play? Many videos and How Tos on the internet etc, have you jack the front up and grab the tire at 9 and 3 o'clock then swing the tire left and right while watching for play between the tie-rod end and the spindle. This is incorrect. The vehicle should be resting on all fours with the wheels pointing forward, placing the the tie-rod ends in the position they spend the most time in and get the most wear. Jiggle the steering wheel left and right and confirm that the tie-rod end moves with the spindle without ANY slack between them. All of the steering joints can be checked this way. Ball joints must have all tension (from the springs, weight, etc.) removed to check them.

I had enclosed the ball joints with "miracle" silicon tape when I noticed the boots were split. That seemed to work pretty well to keep them sealed while I ordered the new boots and got set up to replace. I took the tape covering (and remaining remnants of the original boot) off for the photos. I've had a chance now to check them and they are very tight, no evidence of any play whatsoever with original grease lubricant still in evidence. On other (non-DeLorean) cars, I've seen a wide variance in quality with new ball joints, sometimes only lasting a year or so. For now I'm going to stick with these but keep a close watch on them (and do some additional checks for play as Ron suggests).

Now back to my original question regarding reusing the washers (or not) for the new boots. I'm wondering if the originals had these washers embedded as part of the boot. And therefore, they get tossed.

David, sounds like that is the case and I can dispense with the washers. I will however be reusing the wound spring clip to secure the bottom. I know there are replacement clips but I like the the way these work.

Thanks for the assistance and suggestions.
    Ron

Anyone know the torque setting for the steering ball joints? I've got my new boots on but not sure how tight the nut should be.

Thanks, Ron

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Tie Rod to Steering Knuckle: 26 lb. ft. - 36 Nm
    Tie Rod to Lock Nut: 48 lb. ft. - 65 Nm

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Tie Rod to Steering Knuckle: 26 lb. ft. - 36 Nm
    Tie Rod to Lock Nut: 48 lb. ft. - 65 Nm
    Perfect! Thanks.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    I'm putting new boots on the steering ball joints. Some metal washers came off as I disassembled the right hand side (see photos):

P7226271.jpg
    Here is the disassembled right ball joint.

P7226276.jpg
    Here are the parts removed from the ball joint. Notice the metal washers.

P7226284.jpg
    New boots.

P7226264.jpg
    Here is a photo of the left ball joint just after I popped it out. Have not removed anything. Again notice the washer and remains of original boot.

The new boots didn't come with any washers. Obviously I need to reuse the original wound spring retainer to secure the bottom of the boot. Do I need to reuse any of the metal washers? It looks like the new boots don't need them.

Thanks for your help.
    Ron
    I know I'm late to the question, but for future visitors to the thread, I believe those washers were integrated in the old boot. When I did the same job, I reused the the lower gaiter spring. The top ring is sold separately... Clip, #105258. Both the boot (105257) and the Clip are used for the lower ball joint and the tie rod ends. I didn't use those washers again either.

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)