FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: SPLIT FROM -- Carburetor Troubles...Car is Completely Useless

Nothing witty here lest it offend

First of all, thank you for the opportunity to use as many words as possible when making a thoughtful response to forum posts, DMCVegas style. I will attempt to make this post as long as possible at all costs and not go off on any tangents like how I accidentally got stuck in my parents backyard the other day because it had rained and I tried to turn around but the van is not 4WD so it resulted in me digging huge ruts in the ground and Dad had to use his '88 Mighty Max pick up to pull me out. I think he has the last Might Max pickup out there. What a colossal piece of shit. Gets 10 mpg if that and likes to pollute and spread angry black smoke more than Colin Kaepernick after eating at Taco Bell. So at some point I should probably get around to the point of this post. I think I will. Almost there. Okay here goes. What a person could do, if a carb needs work, is study youtube videos and then rework a carb yourself. I don't have the faith in myself, I don't want to soak carb parts for a week in a cancer causing solution, I don't have the work ethic and I could honestly give a crap, so I might give it to a trusted person to rebuild, but the other option is just go buy a new one from Champion. This is what I did. The specs are: 72-74 2100 Carburetor 1.08 Venturi, 287 CFM, upgrade to electric choke. You then need to SEND THEM A PIC OF THE LINKAGE and they will put the proper linkage on for you. It's pricey, but it's worth it. When I need a new carb, I'll likely ship this one back as a core and have them do it up again. So this concludes my wordy DMCVegas style post. I hope you liked it. Maybe some time when responding to another sock who is not a real person and soliciting carb advice, you can refer back to it. Or not. I think I will go have nachos now. Do you like nachos? It's like I always say: whenever you are feeling down, nachos are always there for you. Goodbye for now. Hope you have a great Sunday and next week is good for you as well. So long.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

At this point the cheapest option is to try to get the car to run with a carburetor. If the one on the car now isn't right it has to be tuned or changed. A "Hot Rod" or speed shop should be able to get the car to run, if not properly, at least better. Next option would be to return to stock K-Jet which would take a lot of money, time and parts. The last option would be to move on to a more modern, electronic fuel injection system. Most expensive and longest time choice. Too bad the current owner has limited funds. Perhaps the best choice would be to sell the car and buy another one when she is in a better position to own a classic car. Sometimes the best choice is to cut your losses and get out rather than try to put more money in. It WILL take money to get the car to run better in any case. Money she claims not to have. For any newbies out there, you cannot spend your last nickel to buy an old, classic car and not have something kept in reserve to spend to fix things that WILL show up on ANY old car. You will find yourself in the worst position possible, you have spent all of your money on a car that doesn't run and you don't have the resources to fix it.
    David Teitelbaum

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Sam, that was the most amazing thing that I have read all week. Will you marry me?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Sam, that was the most amazing thing that I have read all week. Will you marry me?
    I pitch!!!

Not a DeLorean Guru

Deal!
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    At this point the cheapest option is to try to get the car to run with a carburetor. If the one on the car now isn't right it has to be tuned or changed. A "Hot Rod" or speed shop should be able to get the car to run, if not properly, at least better. Next option would be to return to stock K-Jet which would take a lot of money, time and parts. The last option would be to move on to a more modern, electronic fuel injection system. Most expensive and longest time choice. Too bad the current owner has limited funds. Perhaps the best choice would be to sell the car and buy another one when she is in a better position to own a classic car. Sometimes the best choice is to cut your losses and get out rather than try to put more money in. It WILL take money to get the car to run better in any case. Money she claims not to have. For any newbies out there, you cannot spend your last nickel to buy an old, classic car and not have something kept in reserve to spend to fix things that WILL show up on ANY old car. You will find yourself in the worst position possible, you have spent all of your money on a car that doesn't run and you don't have the resources to fix it.
    Something something mustache something
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    I'm looking forward to Robert's War & Peace long diatribe towards me for me not documenting my LS swap to the point where a monkey with a wrench could do it.
    Last I checked, and correct me if I'm wrong, you're not selling any sort of LS Conversion kits. So what would you be responsible for?

Quote Originally Posted by dmruschell View Post
    There's a saying about giving someone a fish vs teaching them to fish that comes to mind.
    The operative word in your statement there being "teaching".

What we have here is more like promising someone that they can feed themselves if they speed hundreds of dollars on a fishing pole a particular individual sells. Said person then sends it to them with no instructions, and then the selling vendor, and the rest of you refuse to teach them anything about how to use it with the bonus of publicly scolding them for daring to ask for help.

I dunno. Maybe if you're going to use pious slogans to try and prove a point, you should actually practice what you preach by adhering to the very standards you're trying to set to justify your own actions.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by dmruschell View Post
    Every carburetor conversion is likely to be slightly different. Most DeLorean owners don't know how to work on carburetors, so when someone does have an issue with a carb on their DeLorean, only a very small segment of this community can actually help. Directing someone to google information about their own particular carburetor will usually allow them to find the resources that can actually help them with the setup that is on their particular car. There are lots of resources out there for carburetors. The best any of us can do is google information about the OP's carburetor, which they can easily do themselves. There's a saying about giving someone a fish vs teaching them to fish that comes to mind.
    Agreed! There are mutiple ways to successfully carb a DeLorean. In many instances the differences between carb conversions are reflective of the car itself, the preferences of the owner and what was available at the time. 5052 and 4194 are using the exact same Peugeot 604 sourced system; however, I have already decided that I will use an Motorcraft 2150 if the Solex carbs ever need to be replaced. I recently replaced the Carter feedback carb on my 82 Eagle with a 1.08 venturi Motorcraft 2150 and I love the results. It delivers great performance and runs smoothly.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Last I checked, and correct me if I'm wrong, you're not selling any sort of LS Conversion kits. So what would you be responsible for?

The operative word in your statement there being "teaching".

What we have here is more like promising someone that they can feed themselves if they speed hundreds of dollars on a fishing pole a particular individual sells. Said person then sends it to them with no instructions, and then the selling vendor, and the rest of you refuse to teach them anything about how to use it with the bonus of publicly scolding them for daring to ask for help.

I dunno. Maybe if you're going to use pious slogans to try and prove a point, you should actually practice what you preach by adhering to the very standards you're trying to set to justify your own actions.
    I don't like how you're speaking to my vanilla honey bear. Be nice, or I'll have to take my pants off and hug you.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    While he is not selling kits, mike is a very critical player in the development of such a kit.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast