FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Which transmission?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Since we are pitching opinions.

the 4.3L is not a great engine. (unless we are talking GenV 2014 or newer)
    The 915 is a very dated transaxle.
    the G50 is also dated, but a good transaxle. However they are extremely expensive.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    2823

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Since we are pitching opinions.

the 4.3L is not a great engine. (unless we are talking GenV 2014 or newer)
    The 915 is a very dated transaxle..
    Easy now!! Yea, I know the 4.3 isn't a power house BUT it is dependable (believe me,when I did my swap, I wanted so bad to put in the spare LS6 I had in it but) at the time my DMC was an auto so NO WAY it was fitting with the massive bellhousing. My goal AT THAT TIME tho was dependability more so than power (at least that's what I told myself at the time bc I couldn't get the LS6 in there ) and back in 2001 there weren't any LSx swaps done. Just one other older 4.3, Buick, and an old carb Chevy V8 swap which were all done in manual cars. If/when the 4.3 dies, I will convert to a G50/LSx but I've been saying that for over 18 years now and the 4.3 is still strong and dependable and I actually get to drive and enjoy the car.200hp in a D is fun....granted not as fun as 400+ but....still...also another point about the lesser 4.3 is if I was to blow it up, I could pick up a vin Z or W for easily under $1k where even the used good LSx's are still going for $2.5k+.
    81 DeLorean w 4.3 Chevy Vortec engine mated to Porsche 915 transaxle

Quote Originally Posted by at88mph View Post
    I Haven't read EVERYTHING in the thread bc I'm lazy like that but, I have a 915 in mine and if you're mating it to the stock PRV, it will easily handle it however, I don't know of anyone who makes a bellhousing for a Porsche/Volvo setup so you'd have to more than likely custom make that. If you're looking to do a engine swap, the Chevy 4.3 and 915 are a good reliable combo and you can find bellhousings. If you're wanting to go LSx I would recommend looking at the G50 instead of the 915. You can also find bellhousings for this swap as well. ALL that to say, without any other info, my suggestion is go with a Porsche transaxle.
    thank you, i'll take that into consideration. i'm trying to go as cheap as i can, cause if i wasn't i would just straight up buy a running D, but i don't have that luxury.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    thank you, i'll take that into consideration. i'm trying to go as cheap as i can, cause if i wasn't i would just straight up buy a running D, but i don't have that luxury.
    After all is said and done, buying a running "D" will be the cheapest way to go to get a running car. Once you start modifying, any budget goes "out the window". 1/2 way through you don't have the option to quit because you blew the budget.
    David Teitelbaum

Its like beating a dead horse.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Its like beating a dead horse.
    what is?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    After all is said and done, buying a running "D" will be the cheapest way to go to get a running car. Once you start modifying, any budget goes "out the window". 1/2 way through you don't have the option to quit because you blew the budget.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4