FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SPLIT FROM -- Carburetor Troubles...Car is Completely Useless

SPLIT FROM -- Carburetor Troubles...Car is Completely Useless

I purchased my dream car not too long ago, but now it's useless because of the carburetor. When I got it, the car ran rough. I took it to a shop and they said they rebuilt the carburetor. It runs better now, but it won't shift gears. There's a problem with the linkage. The guy I bought the car from says it's not the carburetor that was on the car when he sold it and that the shop must have switched it. The shop denies this.

I was advised by another forum member to contact Bill Robertson and he said that it has the wrong carburetor and that he wasn't going to help me, that it's all the previous owner's fault. Bill was completely useless, telling me a bunch of things that I didn't understand before blowing me off.

I don't know what to do. The only thing people agree on is that I have the wrong carburetor and it won't work for this car. I'm considering bringing it back to stock, but I don't have the parts. This is my first car at 18 and I just want to use it.

My VIN:    6585

This is precisely why I demanded a how-to guide for assistance on these conversions. Because I knew this was going to start happening once Bill was out of the picture for support. Either because he died, or he'd outright refuse support people.

You've got 3 ooptions here. The first being an an Alpine Holley Carburetor Kit from JL Engineering over in the UK. However, there are two teeny little catches:
    1. You will need to source a rare intake manifold for the kit. Contact them for further instructions.
    2. I don't even know for certain if this kit is still available.

Second option is to return to stock. Every once in a while someone sells a K-Jet kit. I'll have one myself for sale, but not for a couple of years. Even then with all of the cores, you're looking at around $2,700 or so if you don't buy your own specialty tools for all the parts needed.

Third is that you could convert to EFI.

Better question yet is have you gotten in touch with any other local DeLorean owners? If not, why?

Whatever you choose, best of luck to you.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    5786, 3196

Club(s):   (DMA)

There are more options than the 3 listed above.

There is no "correct carburetor" for the DeLorean. The one that Bill uses is a 2 barrel motorcraft carburetor. It can be swapped out for a 2 barrel Holley in a matter of minutes. As long as they're tuned correctly, either will work fine. (People run Edelbrock/Carter, Holley, and Quadrajet carbs on old muscle cars all the time, and they're 3 completely different carbs. As long as the carb is properly tuned, the engine will run fine.)

So, figure out what carb you have and how to tune it. Edelbrock has carb tuning videos on their website that explain how to do a basic idle tuning on their carbs. The same basic principles apply to any carb. If your only car is carbureted, you need to learn how to mess with it. It's not as difficult as it may seem. If the engine runs well with the carb that's on it, your problem lies elsewhere.

Does it shift into reverse or any forward gears? Refine your description of the problem so we can narrow down on the problem.
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1975 Corvette (to be sold once restored)
    1976 Corvette (wife's car)
    1979 Corvette Daily Driver
    1987 Corvette (technically wife's car)

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by dmruschell View Post
    There are more options than the 3 listed above.
    Assuming that you still want a fuel delivery system with no guidance whatsoever as to it's maintenance or tuning procedures, then yes, you certainly do have more than 3 options here. Given this particular vehicle's current issues (or any other that may in the future have relatable issues stemming from failed carb conversions for that matter), I seriously doubt that I would just jump right out into the unknown yet again. Hence the 3 options given come with either outright documentation or a vast, and redundant support network to aid with installation & proper tuning.

But there's also a whole lotta things here don't ad up, and just don't sit right with me...

OP states that they sent the vehicle with the original carb in to a mechanic recently who rebuilt it. But then has some weird story that the mechanic may have swapped it out without authorization... yet a quick Google search for "DeLoreanGirl" directs me to a thread over on Today where OP stated that almost 4 months ago on July 7th they themselves swapped out the carburetor in question for a replacement...

Next is a Talk thread on 9-23 stating that she's having issues with the carb. But then 2 days later OP claims on Today that they went to a car show. Then another a month later. Then there is the request to ask Bill for help on Talk, but there is also a public shaming of Bill by OP over on Today...

So, what exactly is going on here?

At this point I myself don't even know if Angela Nickelson is even real. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if OP is Chad with yet another screen name, this time seeking help as an 18 year old damsel in distress. Because who can resist that? I mean, I don't have a beef with Chad, and I hope the car in question gets successfully fixed. If I had the information he and/or OP needs, I'd gladly post it (but I don't do carbs). But in order to fix anything, a person needs the whole story, and I just don't know if we're actually getting that here. Just saying...
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    5786, 3196

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Assuming that you still want a fuel delivery system with no guidance whatsoever as to it's maintenance or tuning procedures, then yes, you certainly do have more than 3 options here. Given this particular vehicle's current issues (or any other that may in the future have relatable issues stemming from failed carb conversions for that matter), I seriously doubt that I would just jump right out into the unknown yet again. Hence the 3 options given come with either outright documentation or a vast, and redundant support network to aid with installation & proper tuning.
    Your viewpoint doesn't make sense. With any if the 3 options listed, tuning will still be needed. Kjet has a duel muxture adjustment, EFI requires some skill to get running correctly, and finding and tuning the rare carb setup will be more difficult than tuning what is on the car now. Running a carb doesn't mean that there is no documentation or guidance. Running a carb means that you just have to find the documentation on the carb you're using.

I've used Holleys, Quadrajets, Edelbrock/Carter AFBs, Carter WCFBs, and a Carter WCFB 2x4 setup. The same basic principles apply to all of them. Documebtation on carb swaps isn't needed because they're simple to figure out and the info is already out there.
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1975 Corvette (to be sold once restored)
    1976 Corvette (wife's car)
    1979 Corvette Daily Driver
    1987 Corvette (technically wife's car)

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post

But there's also a whole lotta things here don't ad up, and just don't sit right with me...

OP states that they sent the vehicle with the original carb in to a mechanic recently who rebuilt it. But then has some weird story that the mechanic may have swapped it out without authorization... yet a quick Google search for "DeLoreanGirl" directs me to a thread over on Today where OP stated that almost 4 months ago on July 7th they themselves swapped out the carburetor in question for a replacement...

Next is a Talk thread on 9-23 stating that she's having issues with the carb. But then 2 days later OP claims on Today that they went to a car show. Then another a month later. Then there is the request to ask Bill for help on Talk, but there is also a public shaming of Bill by OP over on Today...

So, what exactly is going on here?

At this point I myself don't even know if Angela Nickelson is even real. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if OP is Chad with yet another screen name, this time seeking help as an 18 year old damsel in distress. Because who can resist that? I mean, I don't have a beef with Chad, and I hope the car in question gets successfully fixed. If I had the information he and/or OP needs, I'd gladly post it (but I don't do carbs). But in order to fix anything, a person needs the whole story, and I just don't know if we're actually getting that here. Just saying...
    Not to rain on your conspiracy theory parade, but she's a real owner. She was at the DMCMW open house. I even saw her and Chad at the same time. And no, I'm not Chad either...maybe Ron is Chad. :-)
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    3937

If I was this person and the condition of the car is indeed as described, I would be finding a lawyer to go over the details with. Not because of Chad specifically, or even that it is a DeLorean in question. Only because you paid for something you did not receive and that needs to be addressed. In the courts or otherwise. As an 18-year old, I would also suggest you speak to your parents or other legal guardians and/or financial supporters and get their help and advice.

The people on this forum have more than enough knowledge to sort out just about any issue on the cars. Current condition and details on the car and its troubles is necessary though. Not from a "how you got here" perspective, only just to help figure out what is going on and what it will take to sort it out.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    If I was this person and the condition of the car is indeed as described, I would be finding a lawyer to go over the details with. Not because of Chad specifically, or even that it is a DeLorean in question. Only because you paid for something you did not receive and that needs to be addressed. In the courts or otherwise. As an 18-year old, I would also suggest you speak to your parents or other legal guardians and/or financial supporters and get their help and advice.

The people on this forum have more than enough knowledge to sort out just about any issue on the cars. Current condition and details on the car and its troubles is necessary though. Not from a "how you got here" perspective, only just to help figure out what is going on and what it will take to sort it out.
    Getting a lawyer is just throwing money away. All used car sales are pretty much as is with no warranty implied unless it is mentioned in the bill of sale or in form of a signed contract. In a case like this, you will spend more on a lawyer and years of limbo with little to no outcome that benefits anyone but the lawyer.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    And no, I'm not Chad either...maybe Ron is Chad. :-)
    Wait!...I thought I was supposed to be Bill, and you Chad???

P.S. ...Ya know it's been a long time since I've banned a real person (other than a fake bot ;-)....

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Wait!...I thought I was supposed to be Bill, and you Chad???

P.S. ...Ya know it's been a long time since I've banned a real person (other than a fake bot ;-)....
    Woops, I meant Chad is Robert ;-)
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast