FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rear Powe Antenna - How to replace

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
    When I turn on the radio, I hear a noise in the rear, but it does not go up...
    As Rich said, this is because the plastic teeth have broken or worn down to the point where the electric motor is not gripping it any further. You do not have to buy an entirely new antenna to fix this however, just a new mast. These are fairly easy to find for that reason, and also because many owners of all makes/models with retractable antennas neglect to lower the antenna when going through a car wash, and the overhead brushes rip the antenna right out. Google around for "power antenna mast" and find one that fits the measurements. Namely, the height of the mast and also the height of the tallest "step" (which determines how deep into the power unit they are when it's down), perhaps also teeth spacing and size, although these may be a standard size. There's plenty of tutorials online as well, just Google around for "rebuild power antenna".

Not only is it much cheaper than replacing the entire unit, but it's also very easy to do, and doesn't take much time at all. Worst case scenario, you get another power antenna like you were planning anyways, but I would at least attempt a rebuild if I were you, since this sounds like exactly what's going on.

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

What is the easiest way to get out the antenna?
    With all the bracket, because I'm not able to see any nuts to remove the antenna?
    O,e more thing, is the antenna is out and don't want to go down anymore, so I think it will be difficult to get out without breaking it.
    I'd like to be able to repair it instead of buying a new one...

My VIN:    06960

Are you looking for how to remove the bracket/antenna assembly from the car? Or removing the antenna from the bracket once already out of the car?

Removing the bracket *should* be easy. There are two nuts/bolts going through to the rear behind the taillight. There is also possibly one at the bottom of the pontoon holding an extra bracket down there. I could see a situation where if someone installed the antenna with the whole rear fascia support removed, the bolts don't go all the way through and no access hole may have been drilled.

I don't have experience with the OEM power antenna, but I believe the aftermarket one is just a big nut at the top of the bracket.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Remove the carbon cannister plate, the antenna is right there. Other notes apply (remove the tail light, swear a lot etc.).
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Are you looking for how to remove the bracket/antenna assembly from the car? Or removing the antenna from the bracket once already out of the car?
    First of all, remove all the bracket and antenna together and try to repair it.
    I'll try to remove the bracket without any damage to the antenna.

My VIN:    10588

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

My power antenna also will run the motor but the mast will not rise. I would like to remove the mast and replace it. Does it unscrew?
    -Luigi-
    Thank you ALL for your patience and your tremendous help!

1982 VIN#10588 Build Date Dec '81

My VIN:    16409

This is unit I have on my car:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162676200193

Works good no issues.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclearbacon View Post
    My power antenna also will run the motor but the mast will not rise. I would like to remove the mast and replace it. Does it unscrew?
    Harada superceded the mast design at least three times over the years and now only sells to OEM manufacturers. For both these reasons you will not likely find a replacement mast that fits.
    Rob

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclearbacon View Post
    It does. I bought a replacement mast from Darryl Tinnerstet years ago when I had this problem happen to me. Since Toby has his inventory, perhaps he still has some of the replacement masts? Give him a call. Unscrew the nut on the top, then have a helper turn the radio on while gently pulling on the mast to remove it and the rest of the toothed rack. As stated either the teeth have broken off, or as in my case, the plastic rack itself has snapped. In any case, once the mast is removed, keep the radio on and slide the replacement mast down into place. Then have a helper turn the radio off. The drive gear inside should grab the rack and pull the antenna mast back into the unit. If it doesn't go all the way down, or doesn't grab right away, turn the radio back on and repeat until the mast fully retracts. Once it does, just replace the top nut and you're good to go.

There are, however, potentially significant drawbacks to consider:
    1. As Rob Grady stated, parts can be difficult to find. So it may just be easier, and possibly cheaper for you to install a brand-new unit.
    2. If you have broken teeth preventing the drive gear from grabbing, you'll be fine. But if the rack itself has snapped, and especially in the fully retracted position, you're gonna have all of that plastic still sitting down in the unit and could impede future operation of the replacement mast. In which case you'd need to remove the antenna assembly and take it apart to pull out the broken pieces.
    3. If it's the main gear instead that's broken, you're gonna have to replace the unit anyways.
    4. Given the age, the gear box inside may need to be lubricated, and who knows what condition the motor might be in.

Houston sells replacement antennas for $105.00. I've no idea why that thing costs so much. As far as I know the original power antenna unit that DMC installed was just a generic off the shelf part itself, and there is no reason you couldn't use the same since looking at the one online it's just a generic Metra unit that you can get for like 50-70% cheaper on eBay, and is the one with a black top to keep to camouflaged. If there is an advantage to the units that the vendors sell (upgraded internals, etc.), I'd be really interested in hearing about it.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10588

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Amazing responses everyone! I think I will replace! Thank you!
    -Luigi-
    Thank you ALL for your patience and your tremendous help!

1982 VIN#10588 Build Date Dec '81

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast