FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Can you remove the bottom half of the evaporator box without removing the evaporator?

My VIN:    16795

Can you remove the bottom half of the evaporator box without removing the evaporator?

Is it possible to remove the bottom half of the evaporator box without evacuating the AC system and disconnecting the evaporator?

I'm able to remove all the screws (after removing the glovebox, knee pad, and center console), but can't figure out a way to maneuver the bottom half free.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I believe not. Iirc the two halves sandwich the heater core and evaporator. If you’re 134a then the evacuation and recharge should be fairly reasonable.

Then again, I could be way off
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Is it possible to remove the bottom half of the evaporator box without evacuating the AC system and disconnecting the evaporator?

I'm able to remove all the screws (after removing the glovebox, knee pad, and center console), but can't figure out a way to maneuver the bottom half free.
    Is the bottom half completely loose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I was not able to find a way to remove only the bottom half. I was able to remove the half that contains the evaporator without removing the half that contains the heater core. The bottom of this portion contains the drain so you have to lift it up to clear the hose.
    -----Dan B.

Jonathan - what are you trying to do?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Jonathan - what are you trying to do?
    That would be my first question. The answer to taking out the bottom section only is absolutely not and should be obvious to anyone attempting this repair. Picture heater and evaporator cores surrounded by two rigid plastic housings split equally down the middle...what's going to give here? The only proper removal of the HVAC box is as an assembly. It is possible to separate and remove the R/H evaporator houising and leave the heater core section in place but not without purpously breaking an internal section off causing a blend of hot/cold air which defeats the purpose. I know that it can be done but I would not suggest doing it. Correctly R&R'ing the box, servicing its components, and resealing it with fresh foam and weather sealant is a two day job if properly executed and should only be attempted by someone with the correct amount of time, tools, and knowledge to recognize first what needs to be done and only then pull off the whole job. So lets start with answering why you're there?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Well said, Rob. I’ve only done the job once. It did take all weekend and never want to do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

When I did mine, I replaced a leaking heater core with a used one that didn’t leak. Now I wish I had replaced both the heater core and evaporator with new parts. I also never want to go in there again.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

The evaporator was installed (not by me) without the proper sealing around the edges of the evaporator. I semi fixed it by working through the blower motor hole, but I suddenly felt motivated to try to fix it correctly (I have a lot of stuff apart doing a 2 din radio install), and was trying to figure out if there was a way to do it without messing with the evaporator fittings. It's not so much the evacuation and recharge as I'd like to avoid the risk of having to replace the evaporator and/or hoses because I broke the fittings trying to get them loose.

So I stopped trying to find an easy way out and pulled the evaporator/heater box out as one piece.

Which now leads to the question, if just replacing the evaporator and accumulator, how much oil do I need to add? The service manual says to use a dipstick to measure the oil level in the stock compressor. Does this apply to a Sanden SD5H14 compressor as well?