FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Harvey flooded my DeLorean

Harvey flooded my DeLorean

We had about 3.5 feet of water in the house, garage and unfortunately in my DeLorean. Waiting on my insurance to total it out, but while I wait, I was hoping for suggestions on what to do with after. Restore? Engine swap? Part it out?

Thanks
    Last edited by Biggio7; 09-03-2017 at 02:24 PM.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by Biggio7 View Post
    We had about 3.5 feet of water in the house, garage and unfortunately in my DeLorean. Waiting on my insurance to total it out, but while I wait, I was hoping for suggestions on what to do with after. Restore? Engine swap? Part it out?

Thanks
    The answer to that question really depends on the condition and the amount of damage. Has the insurance company already inspected it? Have you started drying it out? Im sure there are to-do lists online regarding how to address post-flood condition cars.

No need to part out an otherwise restorable car. Both of my DeLoreans could have been considered parts cars, but both are now running and drivable.

Post pictures.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggio7 View Post
    We had about 3.5 feet of water in the house, garage and unfortunately in my DeLorean.
    3.5 ft of water vs a 4 ft high car - car loses.

Very sad to hear this unfortunate news. With zero flood damage experience I'd guess it's totaled if only due to the interior (up to the high water mark) and electricals to say nothing of the drivetrain. In this respect a D is probably no different than tens of thousands of other flood-damaged cars.

Of course it could part out decently in terms of body/doors/fascias/glass/torsion bars/etc. so (assuming your insurance co. does total it) by no means let anybody haul it to the crusher. Folks on this forum would probably take it off your hands as-is - after the water's out of it.

Will guess that the Texas club as well as DMC Houston will be able to give you much better advice.

Good luck on the house, the other cars(?) and getting back to anything normal there. And good luck on the D, too.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    3.5 ft of water vs a 4 ft high car - car loses.

Very sad to hear this unfortunate news. With zero flood damage experience I'd guess it's totaled if only due to the interior (up to the high water mark) and electricals to say nothing of the drivetrain. In this respect a D is probably no different than tens of thousands of other flood-damaged cars.

Of course it could part out decently in terms of body/doors/fascias/glass/torsion bars/etc. so (assuming your insurance co. does total it) by no means let anybody haul it to the crusher. Folks on this forum would probably take it off your hands as-is - after the water's out of it.

Will guess that the Texas club as well as DMC Houston will be able to give you much better advice.

Good luck on the house, the other cars(?) and getting back to anything normal there. And good luck on the D, too.

How many PMs have asked for the VIN?

My VIN:    04610

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    How many PMs have asked for the VIN?
    Why? I thought the VIN was known for this car?

Anyway, good luck with getting everything back on track in the coming months ...

My VIN:    10309

As long as you don't try and start the car without pulling the plugs first and rolling it over by hand it should be o.k.
    All of the interior is replaceable if it doesn't dry out. on it's own. Not a particularly electronic car, might have to replace the injection computer but otherwise it should be o.k. Do the regular flood damage work like dumping out the gas tank, change the oil/filter, check the brake reservoir, put fresh gas in it and see if it will start. If it was fresh water it won't do any damage to the drive train. The cars that cannot be saved are usually late models with computers everywhere, Deloreans not so much.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Sorry to hear you got flooded...you're all ok.

As stated above, make sure you get the water out of all the fuel system and electronics n stuff before trying to start.

would you care to post some pics of it?
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

flood cars

Saw a car at DCS Lexington? that was in Katrina and had a
    Water mark half way up the binnacle dash. He was struggling
    shorting issues but was running better....good luck

So sorry to hear about this and the water damage to your DeLorean. Water is not the end. I had a classic pickup truck completely submerged and no insurance. Got everything dried out, replaced all the fluids, treated areas with anti-corrosion (try Corrosion X). Soon it was back and going almost as if nothing happened. The seat (single full width) was the only real issue. It never dried out and began to smell. Eventually had to replace. If the insurance steps up, you should be able to have the DeLorean service center get the car squared away. Everything can be dried out. Leather, carpets, and seats are the issues. You are no doubt dealing with a lot of other issues, but try to get the car opened up, seats and carpets pulled out, and, if time premits, fluids drained and replenished. Your climate isn't helpful either, but it can be done.

Best Wishes,
    Ron
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 09-03-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Why? I thought the VIN was known for this car?

Anyway, good luck with getting everything back on track in the coming months ...
    Or you could have just said 3537.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast