FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Expo vs. DeLorean weekend? If you could choose one...

My VIN:    10588

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Cool DeLorean Expo vs. DeLorean weekend? If you could choose one...

Ok... dilemma. I want to go to both. I can't. Which led me think about if I could go to both, which one would I go to?

DeLorean Weekend????

DeLorean Expo????

Which would YOU go to if you could attend only one?

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say how awesome it is to have a CHOICE of DeLorean car shows!!!! How spoiled are we!!!!!
    -Luigi-
    Thank you ALL for your patience and your tremendous help!

1982 VIN#10588 Build Date Dec '81

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I live in Las Vegas and will only be attending Delorean Weekend.
    Two reasons- money and timing.

Money - Delorean Expo costs more, and in addition to that it hasn't been explained well what it is like (what kinds of "events" are included, like DCS does). It may be great, but it hasn't been "sold" to me, for lack of a better term. I even posted on their FB page asking this and got no response.

Timing - my wife is due to give birth the day after it. So I shouldn't be off doing my own thing when she's super pregnant/helpless, and unable to take care of our two year old. Plus, even if she could, l if she delivers early then I paid for something I wouldn't even be attending.

I've been to a DCS (Dayton, 2014) and Delorean Weekend sounds like it will be a more casual/friendly opportunity to mert with other owners than Delorean Expo will be.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    10907

I was lucky enough to get the time off to do both, but if I had to pick one it would be DeLorean Weekend, because I know more of the people there and they don't have as many early-morning events.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Lol..I got the time to do both, could maybe swing one money wise, but no transport...But I'd prolly pick D-Week, just cause its an excuse to be away longer...hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    I live in Las Vegas and will only be attending Delorean Weekend.
    Two reasons- money and timing.

Money - Delorean Expo costs more, and in addition to that it hasn't been explained well what it is like (what kinds of "events" are included, like DCS does). It may be great, but it hasn't been "sold" to me, for lack of a better term. I even posted on their FB page asking this and got no response.
    First off, apologies for the lack of an answer on Facebook, etc. We've been a bit busy behind the scenes individually. I won't speak for the other board members, but for myself, we just moved out of Houston and back to Las Vegas. Between packing, driving, unpacking, job interviews, and all the other good stuff that comes with relocating (aside from checking in with our friends and family who got caught in the hurricane we apparently escaped), I missed the Facebook post. My bad there.

Anyhow, I can fill you in on the events, and what the DOA's Vegas Expo is all about.

First and foremost, we're getting away from Back to the Future. It's not that we're anti-BTTF in any way, not that we're "purists" trying to shun time machine conversions (personally, I love it when people customize their cars), but damned if the movie hasn't been beaten to death. 2015 has come and gone. It's time to move on...

What we're looking to do is to focus on the marque itself. To not only celebrate the history of the car, company, and man, but to focus on the total ownership experience. That includes the camaraderie of ownership, repairing vehicles, and even the unexplored history that many are not aware of. This is going to be an intimate show where we can come together and share our experiences. There will be no judging of cars. No looking down upon one another, but rather sharing stories and experiences. Hell, even exploring cars to talk about the production variations like wheels, etc. Get to know your car.

The driving tours and experiences are also meant to celebrate our cars, as much as they are our host city. That's why we have things like the Red Rock tour, & Bonnie Springs. Solid driving events with fantastic photo opportunities, and a taste of some of Nevada's history. Likewise with the Neon Museum to see Las Vegas' history with great photo ops under the stars. There is also the Shelby Museum. Sure in some ways it's a quick break, but did you know that after Chrysler took over AMC, they brought in Carrol Shelby to tune the Eagle Premier? The result being a Shelby PRV with twin turbos, which they have been digging in their archives to present the information for us to see another "what if" for the evolution of our engines.

Then we have our keynote speakers. The first being Michael Scheffe. Scheffe himself is a car guy, and he's going to speak about the mechanical aspects of the DeLoreans used in the films from a mechanical perspective. It's not going to be about special effects, but real, actual mechanical aspects we can relate to.

The second speaker will be Tom Calabrese. Tom was the sales manager for the local DeLorean dealership. He was there for the entire run, and saw DMC from it's inception to it's demise, and has seen it all from the perspective of a Dealer that sold brand-new DMC-12s. He has some great insight into the experiences of dealing with DMC, customers, sales, repairs, etc. It's a perspective that hasn't ever really been explored all that much in the past. And let me tell you, the man has some awesome stories & anecdotes to share!

Does the Expo cost more? Yes, yes it does. We have facilities that we're renting, guests we're bringing in, events we're organizing, etc. It's just a different show than DeLorean Weekend is. That doesn't make any event better, just different structures & styles. This is also the DOA restarting the Expos as well to build the club back up. It's small step, sure. But we're looking to bring them back, and make them events that people will want to attend.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Hotel Cancelation Policy.

Confirmed: You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance without any penalties.
    Robert

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    First off, apologies for the lack of an answer on Facebook, etc. We've been a bit busy behind the scenes individually. I won't speak for the other board members, but for myself, we just moved out of Houston and back to Las Vegas. Between packing, driving, unpacking, job interviews, and all the other good stuff that comes with relocating (aside from checking in with our friends and family who got caught in the hurricane we apparently escaped), I missed the Facebook post. My bad there.

Anyhow, I can fill you in on the events, and what the DOA's Vegas Expo is all about.

First and foremost, we're getting away from Back to the Future. It's not that we're anti-BTTF in any way, not that we're "purists" trying to shun time machine conversions (personally, I love it when people customize their cars), but damned if the movie hasn't been beaten to death. 2015 has come and gone. It's time to move on...

What we're looking to do is to focus on the marque itself. To not only celebrate the history of the car, company, and man, but to focus on the total ownership experience. That includes the camaraderie of ownership, repairing vehicles, and even the unexplored history that many are not aware of. This is going to be an intimate show where we can come together and share our experiences. There will be no judging of cars. No looking down upon one another, but rather sharing stories and experiences. Hell, even exploring cars to talk about the production variations like wheels, etc. Get to know your car.

The driving tours and experiences are also meant to celebrate our cars, as much as they are our host city. That's why we have things like the Red Rock tour, & Bonnie Springs. Solid driving events with fantastic photo opportunities, and a taste of some of Nevada's history. Likewise with the Neon Museum to see Las Vegas' history with great photo ops under the stars. There is also the Shelby Museum. Sure in some ways it's a quick break, but did you know that after Chrysler took over AMC, they brought in Carrol Shelby to tune the Eagle Premier? The result being a Shelby PRV with twin turbos, which they have been digging in their archives to present the information for us to see another "what if" for the evolution of our engines.

Then we have our keynote speakers. The first being Michael Scheffe. Scheffe himself is a car guy, and he's going to speak about the mechanical aspects of the DeLoreans used in the films from a mechanical perspective. It's not going to be about special effects, but real, actual mechanical aspects we can relate to.

The second speaker will be Tom Calabrese. Tom was the sales manager for the local DeLorean dealership. He was there for the entire run, and saw DMC from it's inception to it's demise, and has seen it all from the perspective of a Dealer that sold brand-new DMC-12s. He has some great insight into the experiences of dealing with DMC, customers, sales, repairs, etc. It's a perspective that hasn't ever really been explored all that much in the past. And let me tell you, the man has some awesome stories & anecdotes to share!

Does the Expo cost more? Yes, yes it does. We have facilities that we're renting, guests we're bringing in, events we're organizing, etc. It's just a different show than DeLorean Weekend is. That doesn't make any event better, just different structures & styles. This is also the DOA restarting the Expos as well to build the club back up. It's small step, sure. But we're looking to bring them back, and make them events that people will want to attend.
    Good info, thanks.
    Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to imply one was "better" than the other, I understand it's apples and oranges. The timing is really the biggest thing for me, by a big margin. If Delorean Weekend was next weekend and Delorean Expo was in 5 weeks, I'd be going to the Expo.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Good info, thanks.
    Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to imply one was "better" than the other, I understand it's apples and oranges. The timing is really the biggest thing for me, by a big margin. If Delorean Weekend was next weekend and Delorean Expo was in 5 weeks, I'd be going to the Expo.
    No worries at all. The reason I bring that up is because the cost of attendance has been a popular question with people. That's all.

I agree that timing is a crucial aspect of things. I know for instance that Father's Day is a popular time for many car shows. Personally, I disagree with hosting a car show on that date. To me, that's a family holiday, and one where you should spend the time at home (or wherever you choose) celebrating in the company of family, and by giving your attention to them instead of a car. Particularly for those of us who either have, or may ourselves even be elders and such a trip may not be the easiest. Or worse yet, we've lost our loved ones, and then have to encounter others on such a day. So yes, timing is everything, and I totally understand.
    Robert

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

No judging of cars? That's not what this says.

And you would be correct. The decision was made to remove the judging portion, but it appears that the web site was not updated. I'll have that corrected.

Thanks for the heads-up!
    Robert

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast