FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever Regretted selling your Delorean?

Have you ever Regretted selling your Delorean?

I am thinking about selling mine. After 5 years i think i am ready to move on. That being said, i know there is no way i am not going to regret selling it at some point down the road. I have seen guys buy 2 and 3 Deloreans over the years. I don't "need" the money, but it went from being a daily drive, to not driving it other then to keep the gas fresh.

For the Guys who sold there's, do you regret it?
    Do you think it is better to just let it sit in your garage for a while?

I am going to add some gas stabilizer later this week. Just so i can kick the can down the road.

My VIN:    10644

I owned a DeLorean from 2000-2005 and used it as a daily driver. I was young (21-26), it was my only car, and it wasn't a particularly good DeLorean either. I spent many weekends working on the car just so I could get to work on Monday. It was hard to make the decision in 2005 to sell it, but I wanted to do more with my life than just fix my car. I sold it and promised myself that I'd buy another DeLorean by the time Doc and Marty arrived in 2015.

I bought my second DeLorean on October 19, 2015. This time around, I bought a very good condition car, I don't use it as a daily driver, and the decade between DeLoreans was fantastically full of adventures that I wouldn't have had if I hadn't made a change. So if you think it's time, it probably is. There will always be an opportunity in the future to buy one again. You might even want to set a goal for yourself the way I did. At the very least, you'll have a date in the future where you can make a solid re-evaluation.

My VIN:    16377

I purchased my first DeLorean at the age of 16 in 1998. Did a frame-off restoration on it and sold it in 2002. I purchased a second DeLorean in 2002 (there was some overlap between the first and second). I drove that one for 2 years as a daily driver. I sold it in 2004. Fast forward to 2016 and I just purchased my third one in December 2016. I regretted selling both of my previous cars. I feel I didn't do a good enough job on the frame-off restoration on the first one and in hindsight, I could have easily kept the second one and got a more practical car as a daily driver. I saved up for 2 years to get my third one.

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

No. But the one I sold I didn't like and actually made money off the sale. I also had two other ones at the time, so it really didn't bother me at all. Will I sell another one? Maybe Time will tell. I love all 3 that I have right now. I'm seriously considering selling one of them to buy a car I do "regret" selling many years ago and I want to own that car again.

My VIN:    1058

I had mine for ten years. Seems like around the five year mark my driving time was cut way back. Then I started driving it again. Five years is that weird spot. If you sell it, buy another cool car with the money. I am having fun with the new car I bought. Also think about the time we live in. You can buy a used 500 plus hp sports car with Delorean money.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you are thinking long term storage here is how I would prepare it:
    Clean the car well and remove everything
    Remove the battery. If around 5 years old forget it and use it as a core when you take it out of storage. if newer trickle charge it 1 day every month.
    Remove all of the fuel from the tank.
    Put all of the keys, bits and paperwork together in a safe place
    Insure it only for damage and theft
    Cover it and make sure no rodents can get into the garage. Put some mothballs under the car
    Treat the leather with Leatherique rejuvinator
    Make sure nothing can fall on the car

Realize it costs you money even if you store it and don't use it. If you don't know how long it will be in storage the best strategy is to sell it and buy another if you get the urge. Reanimating it after long term storage can be expensive. Figure tires, battery, fluids, filters, belts, hoses, A/C service, and struts, at least.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Regret...yes

I have owned a few DeLoreans...some I regret selling more so because I could have kept them as daily drivers and others not so much because I just didn't have the time to care for them with the busy life of family and work.

My biggest regret was my first DMC #16664 which I purchased from the original owner with 345 miles and sold it with 788 miles...after 10 years of ownership!!!! Apparently the new owner drove it all the time. Moral of my story, if you own it, drive and enjoy it. Don't abuse it or destroy it but enjoy it or else once you sell it someone else will!!

Needless to say I am still searching for #16664 as I want her back.
    ---------------------------------
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664
    ---------------------------------

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
    I am thinking about selling mine. After 5 years i think i am ready to move on. That being said, i know there is no way i am not going to regret selling it at some point down the road.
    Well, which is it? Are you wanting to sell or not?

I don't know what the reasons are for you wanting to sell your car, or as you put it, "to move on". That is a personal matter for you which isn't any of my business. But you also say that you know you're going to regret selling it. Again, not my business, but it sounds like you don't actually want to sell and need some validation on why you should keep the car.

Me personally, I've owned 16 cars, and really only regret selling 3 or 4 of them. Knowing the regret I had with those, I personally wouldn't opt to sell my DeLorean unless it was for some sort of family life or death emergency. Which for example, buying a house does not meet such a criteria. But again, that's mine, and actually my wife's outlook as well. I lucked out with having a selfless wife who knows how hard she worked for her toys, she wouldn't ever force me to sell mine. Especially since with DeLorean prices being what they are, it would be a long time before I could buy back into the marque.

But anyways, it's a decision that's wholly up to you. You just need to see what your needs are.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Considering the change in value, I see more and more the car as an investment now.
    Around my place near Ottawa Ontario, there is close to none for sale. So selling one here in Canada alone would probably be quite quick, because of rarity.

But sometime, I am tempted to selling it too. Because I am somewhat fed up with all the attention and the interior noise... and would therefore like to experience something that has more go...like a Porsche. But the 911 are still way out the kind of money I probably could get from selling a Delorean.

I drive mine at least once every week or two weeks, to keep things moving and lubricated. But I guess I would experience regret in selling it, such a unique & cool car.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

There was a time in my life when I considered selling 4194. I purchased it in 1998 when I was 18, got it running and drove it extensively until 2007. However due to a change in living situations, the car ended up in storage for a few years. Plus finances were limited and dedicated elsewhere. I would still start it every month and drive it a couple hundred miles a year to keep it in working order. But It was getting difficult to justify paying for continued storage and repairs to a car that I wasn't driving.

However, my life took a turn in a different direction a few years ago in which I found myself with the garage space, time and money to dedicate to 4194 again. I caught up on a considerable amount of deferred maintenance and upgrades and began driving 4194 on a regular basis. I had so much fun with 4194, I ended up buying 5052 :-)

In short, I am so happy I didn't sell 4194!

Before selling your car, take it for a drive. Let the car remind you why you bought it in the first place.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast