FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How To: Front speaker replacement made easy

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

How To: Front speaker replacement made easy

OK... maybe I should have said "easier".

One of the problems replacing the front speakers and mounting flush to the underside of the dash using the original studs is getting the nut onto the stud. The opening in the dash sub-deck is very small and there is not much room for your fingers to hold and rotate the nut. I suspect it was difficult when they built them in the factory and were working on a bench (maybe this is the real reason DMC went bankrupt). This is added to the fact that it is difficult to move around and get all the necessary body parts under the dash.

As I was trying to get the original nuts back on the studs I realized I needed a longer nut. One name for a longer nut is a "standoff." So I ordered some M4 x 50mm Brass Hex Standoffs. The 50mm length extends far enough below the dash that getting them threaded on is easy.

Also, you'll likely need washers to hold the speaker. To simplify adding a washer, superglue it to the head of the standoff. Use gel superglue and avoid getting on the threads.

Here are pictures of the standoffs:
    Standoffs.JPG

Here is what it looks like installed:
    IMG_5532 trimmed.jpg

There you go. So simply you can change your speakers daily
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    6248

Club(s):   (PNDC)

So you're not using these as standoffs, just as really long nuts so you have something to hold onto with your fingers?

My VIN:    6524 & 1988 Lotus Esprit. Previously 10801 & 3772.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I have just recently done this on my car I just sold. checkout a company called unicorpinc.com the standoffs are called metric male-female. I called them about ordering some but they only do bulk. I just said I was a restoration shop and they sent me 5 for FREE!!!! I ordered the 10mm standoffs in the correct thread, think it is 4mm???? anyways you just screw these on to the factory studs in the dash. then I had metal washers that have a rubber backing. The rubber backing will hold the washer on to the standoff so you can then mount the speaker against the washer, then just use the original washer and nut, easy and not going to push you speaker through the dash. I mounted the same Infinity speaker that you are using.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Others have had luck using coupling nuts. The install onto the existing studs, and then you use a bolt of whatever length into the other half of the coupling nut.

Quote Originally Posted by kobachi View Post
    So you're not using these as standoffs, just as really long nuts so you have something to hold onto with your fingers?

Correct. Others have used standoffs to space the speaker down from the dash. I wanted my speakers flush to the underside of the dash. I ordered the long standoffs and simply used them as nuts ... long nuts. No more trying to get a nut, or even a short standoff into that small opening

The passenger side went in in a couple minutes. The driver side a bit longer (the stud pointed such that I had to grind a bit of underdash away.
    Nick

My VIN:    10722

Does it matter how you hook up the front speaker wires? I cannot find a (-) or (+) symbol on the original speakers, but the "new" Infinity speakers do have connections labeled positive and negative. The passenger side wires are purple / purple+black, while the driver's side wires are red / red+black. My color-coded electrical diagram shows all speakers wires coming from the radio in black so not very helpful. I don't want to listen to the music back asswards...

Thanks!
    Andy

Plain speakers (no additional circuitry) can be wired either way. The important thing is to wire them consistently so that the sound image is all in the same phase. If the speakers are wired in opposite ways/phase, then the sound image will be out of phase and there will be some canceling. This can make the sound muddled.

If the speaker has additional circuitry attached to it then polarity is important

I'd do my best to wire per the speaker indicators and have the "-" side wired to the common/ground line.

Speaker wire is usually coded in some way. One side may have ridges or a secondary color (or color stripe). Sometimes one wire is steel colored and the other is copper colored. Take a very close look to see if there is a difference. Another difference may be the terminals. One may be smaller than the other

The DeLorean diagram indicates that the radio has only two commons ( I believe the left side is common and the right side is common ... not front vs back). The common wire is the "-" wire. See the following and note that the wires connect at the "dot"
    D-Radio.jpg

If you cannot discern a designator on the speaker wire, then you can use a meter to find the common wire. Disconnect the speaker wire from the radio. Test each wire at the speaker end. When you have the two common wires, the meter will indicate zero Ohms (or very near so). If you use a "beep mode" then the meter will beep when tested across the two common wires.

I don't recall seeing the speaker wire colors you indicated installed in a DeLorean (that is not to say they are not factory). The PO may have wired it and if so, the above diagram may or may not be appropriate. But some testing with the meter should ferret it out.

I hope that helps or at least helps you get further.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by nkemp; 07-13-2016 at 03:09 PM.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by gulwng3 View Post
    Does it matter how you hook up the front speaker wires? I cannot find a (-) or (+) symbol on the original speakers, but the "new" Infinity speakers do have connections labeled positive and negative. The passenger side wires are purple / purple+black, while the driver's side wires are red / red+black. My color-coded electrical diagram shows all speakers wires coming from the radio in black so not very helpful. I don't want to listen to the music back asswards...

Thanks!
    Andy
    Yes, it matters. All of your music will play in reverse if you reverse the polarity. . .which could still be fun. . .

Quote Originally Posted by gulwng3 View Post
    Does it matter how you hook up the front speaker wires? I cannot find a (-) or (+) symbol on the original speakers,
    there are smaller terminals on the ground wires
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Where's the best place to order those standoffs? Im in the process of removing my front speakers and really dont wanna have to fiddle with getting them back in...hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast